Leeds Liverpool stoppage.

nipper

Featured Posts

Can someone direct me to the old type stoppages list with the drop down list of waterways please?

It was there last week, but it seems to have disappeared, I've been looking for a half an hour.

I have found a newish section telling me about stoppages, but some are dated 2014 which is handy init!

I am trying to get an update on the swing bridge that's been vandalized as I'm due up at Liverpool in a few weeks!

Thank all ?

nipper

15 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's the form, but they have recently modernised it.  You now have to start typing the name of the canal into a box ... not just pick one off the list.

Admittedly it was very fiddly on a phone screen.

I can imagine, recently on the T&M we had a problem with a ground paddle only closing about halfway, so I thought i'd grab a contact number off the CRT website using my phone. That was my first mistake ?

Totally useless, makes you fill out a form if not a 999 emergency and then when you choose a structural problem from the drop down menu it gives you a link to regional numbers that "may be more helpful", so you click it...……….and it takes you back to the start of the same form that has now lost all the info you put in ?

Luckily there was a CRT bod sat in his van a few locks further down so we told him about it.

3 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Totally useless, makes you fill out a form if not a 999 emergency and then when you choose a structural problem from the drop down menu it gives you a link to regional numbers that "may be more helpful", so you click it...……….and it takes you back to the start of the same form that has now lost all the info you put in 

Luckily there was a CRT bod sat in his van a few locks further down so we told him about it.

This is how it's supposed to work. You go round in a loop for a while, which discourages those who are a bit half hearted, then back to the beginning to weed out the more determined, and then it wipes the info to get rid of all but the most insistent. Those surviving to this point get to talk to a man in a van who would otherwise have been inundated and unable to help anyone. There - it's easy once you know the system, isn't it? ;)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

This is how it's supposed to work. You go round in a loop for a while, which discourages those who are a bit half hearted, then back to the beginning to weed out the more determined, and then it wipes the info to get rid of all but the most insistent. Those surviving to this point get to talk to a man in a van who would otherwise have been inundated and unable to help anyone. There - it's easy once you know the system, isn't it? ;)

I did get a reply to the form 6 days later to tell me they had passed the info to the local team, and another 6mins later to say it had been passed to the local Supervisor.

luckily it wasn't paddles at both ends of the lock or some of the T&M would be a bit empty by now :)

45 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

For that I would ring them, not fill a defect form in.

but first, you must find the number...………….

website via mobile yielded no numbers other than a suggestion to ring 999 in an emergency (assuming that's a breach, drowning, boat fire, meteor strike or mrsmelly buying a short boat)

I'm now going to attempt to find a current list of regional numbers after the shake-up, print it, laminate it and put in me wallet to keep the moths company ;)

2 hours ago, nipper said:

Can someone direct me to the old type stoppages list with the drop down list of waterways please?

It was there last week, but it seems to have disappeared, I've been looking for a half an hour.

I have found a newish section telling me about stoppages, but some are dated 2014 which is handy init!

I am trying to get an update on the swing bridge that's been vandalized as I'm due up at Liverpool in a few weeks!

Thank all ?

nipper

Just come through the bridge, be there 12 noon Mondays and Fridays, no probs.

Thanks colmac.

The old stoppages site worked well, or at least answered my questions, but this new effort has to be improved, dont it?

Who the hell decided that the new stuff was better than the old stuff?

Sorry, winge over!

Nipper

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

but first, you must find the number...………….

website via mobile yielded no numbers other than a suggestion to ring 999 in an emergency (assuming that's a breach, drowning, boat fire, meteor strike or mrsmelly buying a short boat)

I'm now going to attempt to find a current list of regional numbers after the shake-up, print it, laminate it and put in me wallet to keep the moths company ;)

Does 08004799947 not still work If its out of hours you probably wont get anyone  on the regional number but the national number should connect you to the duty chap for the area.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, nipper said:

Thank all ?

nipper

What date are you going into Liverpool? we're currently at Wigan heading that way, we put into Scarisbrick Marina this Friday for a week then head on through Coxhead Swing Bridge next Friday (17th) to kick our heels for a couple of days until Sunday (19th) when we are booked in for the week.

33 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

What date are you going into Liverpool? we're currently at Wigan heading that way, we put into Scarisbrick Marina this Friday for a week then head on through Coxhead Swing Bridge next Friday (17th) to kick our heels for a couple of days until Sunday (19th) when we are booked in for the week.

I'm booked for the 30th coming from Whitchurch on the Llangollen. I have plenty of time and maytake in a trip on the Weaver and wait further updates there!

That is if the lift is working and maybe a lock or two thats working, just to change the scenery!

That way i'm not totally commited  and can change direction if need be!

Nipper

2 minutes ago, nipper said:

I'm booked for the 30th coming from Whitchurch on the Llangollen. I have plenty of time and maytake in a trip on the Weaver and wait further updates there!

That is if the lift is working and maybe a lock or two thats working, just to change the scenery!

That way i'm not totally commited  and can change direction if need be!

Nipper

The lift was working OK when we went past last Saturday, although I'm not sure whether you can only go in the Northwich direction if my understanding is right since they had a bit of an incident at Saltersford Lock ( https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/12906-saltersford-lock-barnton-weaver-navigation   ) although this may just be the large lock with passage through the narrow lock still available.

We'll be on our way out of Liverpool as you are on your way in.

I hope they change the days a bit, we are booked down on Friday (few weeks time) and up on a Monday. So we need to get through the bridge on Monday and lurk till Friday and then come up on Monday and lurk till Friday. I think I may get a bit fed up of that bit of canal.

3 hours ago, Detling said:

I hope they change the days a bit, we are booked down on Friday (few weeks time) and up on a Monday. So we need to get through the bridge on Monday and lurk till Friday and then come up on Monday and lurk till Friday. I think I may get a bit fed up of that bit of canal.

I'm from the other school of thought and hope that they don't since it sort of works for me as I'm booked down and back on a Sunday giving me time to get from Coxhead Bridge on the Friday and back to Coxhead Bridge by Monday (hopefully). I still don't fully understand why they don't just get a road closure order and leave the bridge open for canal traffic. The road concerned is very minor and there are alternative routes available for drivers.

• 5 weeks later...

Sitting here waiting for Coxhead to open, talking to people here paints a rather different picture about how the bridge got damaged. Without wanting to put too many details on a public forum, it seems it wasn't mindless vandalism but more deliberate sabotage by a particular individual. All the details including that person's identity were clearly recorded on cctv which has been sent to the police who have (reportedly) said that they are not interested because nobody was injured and have advised CRT to claim on their insurance.

10 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

Sitting here waiting for Coxhead to open, talking to people here paints a rather different picture about how the bridge got damaged. Without wanting to put too many details on a public forum, it seems it wasn't mindless vandalism but more deliberate sabotage by a particular individual. All the details including that person's identity were clearly recorded on cctv which has been sent to the police who have (reportedly) said that they are not interested because nobody was injured and have advised CRT to claim on their insurance.

I also spoke with several people whilst waiting for the opening of the bridge and whilst there was a lot of speculation, there was little actual hard evidence. One school of thought was that two teenagers had stolen the JCB and smashed in into the control hut whilst trying to drive it into the canal. The second school of thought was that a local who had allegedly been done for fishing without a licence was taking his revenge (how many people nationally are 'done' for fishing without a licence???:unsure:).

When you say the person's identity was clearly recorded on CCTV what was he doing, holding up his driving licence? I can only assume that the CCTV was at the location from which the JCB was taken from since, there is nothing at the bridge, so it wont have shown anyone actually committing the act. You then have the problem of proving that the person who drove the JCB away (assuming that he is identifiable) is the same person who demolished the control hut since if they find the original thief he is just going to say "I only drove it onto the road, I didn't take it any further than that".

12 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

Do you know if they are actually repairing the bridge? The notice in April said Mon/Fri opening only, until repairs are finished. We are booked to go into Liverpool in July and may need to change our dates if the current arrangement is still in place. 

18 minutes ago, MHS said:

Do you know if they are actually repairing the bridge? The notice in April said Mon/Fri opening only, until repairs are finished. We are booked to go into Liverpool in July and may need to change our dates if the current arrangement is still in place. 

When we passed through there wasn't much evidence of actually repair going on.I asked the CRT guy who came up for the opening exercise if he knew when it would be repaired, he didn't. If I were you I'd look at changing your dates into Liverpool, it seems that fewer people are going because of the bridge so I would think alternative dates will be easily available (when we went in the most number of boats there was 14 with space for loads more).

24 minutes ago, MHS said:

You don't need to change your booking dates, you just need to be at Coxhead's Bridge earlier.

It is 4 miles and 4 swing bridges from Melling where most people overnight for the run into Liverpool.  If you get there early, just stop at Litherland moorings.

Edited by TheBiscuits

11 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You don't need to change your booking dates, you just need to be at Coxhead's Bridge earlier.

It is 4 miles and 4 swing bridges from Melling where most people overnight for the run into Liverpool.  If you get there early, just stop at Litherland moorings.

We will be in no rush in July but not sure we will be wanting to spend a few days between Coxhead and Melling going both ways.