about to break a computer - Itunes and apple music!!

matty40s

Featured Posts

We need a CD of about an hours length of some favourite tracks - in the olden days piratebay was the easy solution.

It has to be a CD - memory sticks are too far advanced for the equipment at a venue.

Todays music shops are leading me to frustration in the extreme!

First we tried Spotify,paying to join in the fun, unfortunately, after creating the playlist, found out that you cant burn a CD from Spotify.

So, off to AppleMusic or I-tunes - not sure of the difference! Kathy pays a monthly subscription for this.

Created a playlist - went to the burn a CD - it tried - but then came up with a burn error for every track - so and so or Apple owns the rights to this music so it cant be burned.

Trying to get into the I-Tunes store so we can purchase each track is the next challenge - you cant - you can pay 99p for every other track on an album but not the one we actually want - the tab just says play.

Have now wasted one CD - one track burnt to it for some reason - theres no logical reason why the others didnt - it was in the middle of the playlist.

Can anyone suggest a way forward or what I'm doing wrong?

(Cue Mrsmelly - should have bought a cassette...)

I have successfully downloaded paid for tracks from Amazon and iTunes Store and burnt them onto CD's. 

In both cases I downloaded them into iTunes on my laptop and burnt them from there.

Another alternative is to download the tracks onto a phone or tablet and use a mini jack cable to connect the phone or tablet to the venues amp via the aux socket (assuming it has one).

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.

11 minutes ago, matty40s said:

We need a CD of about an hours length of some favourite tracks - in the olden days piratebay was the easy solution.

I think DRM may have put the kibosh on you using a CD - does it have to be a CD??

Can you not make a playlist and play it via Bluetooth over a good set of speakers?  Or via a USB cable if you don't have a bluetooth something?

15 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Trying to get into the I-Tunes store so we can purchase each track is the next challenge - you cant - you can pay 99p for every other track on an album but not the one we actually want - the tab just says play.

That's probably because you have Apple Music, that how stuff look to me when I've bought it. 

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I have successfully downloaded paid for tracks from Amazon and iTunes and burnt them onto CD's. 

In both cases I downloaded theatre is into iTunes on my laptop and burnt them from there.

what is theatre IS?

...and what is DRM?

Bluddy autowrong. Should read "In both cases I downloaded them into iTunes on my laptop".

DRM stands for "Digital Rights Management". Apple removed it from music purchased from their iTunes Store some years ago.

Edited by cuthound

Just now, matty40s said:

...and what is DRM?

Oh sorry, DRM is digital rights management and it how Apple and Amazon or anybody who's sold a digital file keeps track of it after purchase. Anti theft. 

Just now, cuthound said:

"In both cases I downloaded them into iTunes on my laptop".

ah, ok.

that is exactly what I have tried to do - and it wont let me.

it also wont let me buy them (unless I have somehow paid for them already by downloading them - although it doesnt look like it, not showing in purchased items)

1. Download Viddly
2. Find the relevant songs on Youtube, copy and paste the URL into Viddly and do "download as audio"

3. Copy the downloaded mp3 files to the D drive or whatever your CD writer drive is

4. Burn the CD. Make sure you create an Audio CD, not a Data CD

• Greenie 1

Just now, matty40s said:

No I've never managed it either. 

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

it also wont let me buy them (unless I have somehow paid for them already by downloading them - although it doesnt look like it, not showing in purchased items)

I don't have Apple Music but I wonder if it won't let you buy them because you have downloaded through that.  

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

ah, ok.

Definately something not right there. Have you tried contacting Apple's Support team? They should be able to help.

Definately something not right there. Have you tried contacting Apple's Support team? They should be able to help.

What type of computer do you download on to? Just wondering if you don't use a Mac does that make a difference?

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

amazon appears to have an MP3 basket, a download store and a web player, which one??

Download Store.

The music downloads into your downloads folder, then, if iTunes is your default music player, will automatically go into iTunes when you click on the Music file in downloads.

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

What type of computer do you download on to? Just wondering if you don't use a Mac does that make a difference?

I use an Acer laptop with Windows 10. 

Not sure if it makes a difference or not, as I always found the additional cost of the MAC over the Windows computer paid for several years worth of headache pills. ?

• Haha 1

I use an Acer laptop with Windows 10. 

I use a Mac so wondered if my right clicking just didn't give me the options that a PC would - though I must confess I haven't tried too hard to burn CDs. I've only tried with audio books. 

50 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It has to be a CD - memory sticks are too far advanced for the equipment at a venue.

Todays music shops are leading me to frustration in the extreme!

First we tried Spotify,paying to join in the fun, unfortunately, after creating the playlist, found out that you cant burn a CD from Spotify.

So, off to AppleMusic or I-tunes - not sure of the difference! Kathy pays a monthly subscription for this.

Created a playlist - went to the burn a CD - it tried - but then came up with a burn error for every track - so and so or Apple owns the rights to this music so it cant be burned.

Have now wasted one CD - one track burnt to it for some reason - theres no logical reason why the others didnt - it was in the middle of the playlist.

Can anyone suggest a way forward or what I'm doing wrong?

(Cue Mrsmelly - should have bought a cassette...)

This is quite scarey timing!! This very morning I gave away our ghetto blaster with twin cassette decks as we now have a new fangled cd player, I reckon I will come to regret it ?

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

This is quite scarey timing!! This very morning I gave away our ghetto blaster with twin cassette decks as we now have a new fangled cd player, I reckon I will come to regret it ?

You definately will if you try to put cassettes in it ?

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, cuthound said:

DRM stands for "Digital Rights Management". Apple removed it from music purchased from their iTunes Store some years ago.

It used to be that with DRM you could only download something you'd bought to seven (?) different devices and they removed the part that did that, there is still other stuff other than that. ?

Are we winning yet - is the wedding CD saved?  

26 minutes ago, matty40s said:

i'm using a Dell.

You can change the mouse settings on a Mac so the right click works - its brill.

Oh yes I just wondered if when you right clicked on the PC if you got options to transfer files that I don't get when I "right click" my Mac. But as you're already using a PC it doesn't matter. 

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

1. Download Viddly
2. Find the relevant songs on Youtube, copy and paste the URL into Viddly and do "download as audio"

3. Copy the downloaded mp3 files to the D drive or whatever your CD writer drive is

4. Burn the CD. Make sure you create an Audio CD, not a Data CD

this seems to be working, thankyou all

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1