Yorkshire Waterways Museum To Close

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Get another quote.   Dobyou need contact numbers?  Try John at Wakefield ... @NB Esk will support me on this.  Other contacts are available on request by private message if he won't!

They are meeting John to look at HATFIELD on Wednesday. 

1 minute ago, Wheldale said:

The closure of the Museum was sprung on us. The volunteers weren't kept informed.  Reading between the lines we knew the Museum had long-term finance problems, but it still came as  a shock.

That is very sad. So is the new society that has been created more or less the people who were part of the museum or is this a whole new group of people?

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

They are meeting John to look at HATFIELD on Wednesday. 

I know.  I also know that despite him trying to sell his own boat he is unlikely to quote half the sale price of a Tom Pudding tug to fix a leaking stern gland!

The employees of the Museum when it closed are not part of our committee but some have offered help. Most of us are volunteers, and ex trustees from way back. The driving is being done by the Wheldale crew and other volunteers.

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

I know.  I also know that despite him trying to sell his own boat he is unlikely to quote half the sale price of a Tom Pudding tug to fix a leaking stern gland!

I just mentioned because I thought you'd missed it. :)

The stern gland uses Neox. Apparently we are told most of the tugs were converted to grease lubricated stern gland quite early in their lives, but not Wheldale and apparently not Hatfield as John told us.

Just now, Wheldale said:

The employees of the Museum when it closed are not part of our committee but some have offered help. Most of us are volunteers, and ex trustees from way back. The driving is being done by the Wheldale crew and other volunteers.

How interesting - well I hope things go well for you. The history and integrity of these wonderful vessels deserves to be preserved. 

I've had a look for "The Yorkshire waterways society" but I'm not finding any information, have I got the name wrong, could you tell me where I can find information on your group?

3 minutes ago, Wheldale said:

The stern gland uses Neox. Apparently we are told most of the tugs were converted to grease lubricated stern gland quite early in their lives, but not Wheldale and apparently not Hatfield as John told us.

If she's that bad I will give you 5 grand for her tomorrow.   £35,000 asking price, needs £18,000 work.  Who do you expect to buy her?

John was whining about a £2k part a month ago...

• Haha 1

WEST RIDING also still uses Neox oil.  ALLERTON BYWATER (renamed STRONGBOW) was converted to grease, by Waddington of Swinton, when it saw service as a BACAT pusher tug.

IMG_0511.JPG

Thanks for all that info. I will pass it on to our engineers.

Buying her, we don't expect anybody to buy her but us, but we have to be ready for any eventuality. If nobody makes an offer she goes for scrap and we can then put in an offer just above scrap value.

However there are some daft people out there who might think she can be converted into a houseboat like some of her sisters. Yes I should have said Neox 8000. She uses about 150 quid's worth a month at the moment. Not good. The engineers have put more packing in but it hasn't made much difference. There's not much leakage into the bilges so it's all at the prop end. Kellingley and Brodsworth are both local but I don't know what their stern glands are like. I'll have to make enquiries.

41 minutes ago, Wheldale said:

However there are some daft people out there who might think she can be converted into a houseboat like some of her sisters.

Please don't let this happen, it would be truly unthinkable if this happened to anymore of them.

@Wheldale it would be helpful if you used the quote tool when answering people, for the most part it's been fine but on the odd occasion it gets a little confusing if you talk about more than one thing in the same post. When you read someones post and you want to answer it you can click the quote square at the bottom of their post or high light a specific part and the option to quote it will automatically be offered to you. :)

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a fundraising event for Wheldale this Saturday at Goole North star clubhouse from 2pm with live music . Bobby who runs the club mentioned about it to me last night when i popped in. If 'Wheldale' catches this maybe he can give further details. 

Just now, Fitter kieron said:

There is a fundraising event for Wheldale this Saturday at Goole North star clubhouse from 2pm with live music . Bobby who runs the club mentioned about it to me last night when i popped in. If 'Wheldale' catches this maybe he can give further details. 

@Wheldale should flag it for him.

• 1 year later...
On 28/06/2019 at 17:35, Pluto said:

Have seen on Facebook this morning that Weldale is up for sale for £33,000 and a jebus for £7,000