Yorkshire Waterways Museum To Close

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Sadly the funding has always been fragile. Excellent work with disadvantaged people, ex-offenders, and many others has always been valuable although never sufficiently funded. I don't know any more than in the article, and let's hope some magic can be conjoured from somewhere.

Museum website

27 minutes ago, Heartland said:

What will happen to the collection? Has anything been discussed yet?

It will probably be farmed out to better funded museums around the country. Doubt it will stay up here because Goole Museum is the only waterways museum in the north. If the collection doesn't get farmed out then, presumably, it will be left to rot at Goole like the myriad of other boats dotted around that part of the canal. This is only my opinion I have absolutely no inside knowledge.

I'm sure the museum are doing all they can to stay open, but there are often grants available to museums, you just have to trawl through mountains of info and search in strange places to find them, so there's hope yet that some funding might be found. 

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

It may well be a close assessment, but there is one thing that cannot move and that is the remaining coal hoist!

The coal hoist is a listed building so that, as far as I know, cannot be pulled down although I'm sure that ABP would like the space. I don't know who looks after the hoist or, if the museum does looks after it, who will look after it when the museum goes.

2 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I'm sure the museum are doing all they can to stay open, but there are often grants available to museums, you just have to trawl through mountains of info and search in strange places to find them, so there's hope yet that some funding might be found. 

I'm sure they are but fundraising is something that has to be done continously and if they have now decided to throw in the towel then all their fundraisng plans must have been exhausted. I think one of their huge problems is that they are in an out of the way spot and whilst people do visit there never seems to be many there.

7 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Very sad news. A superb museum. Personaly a sad day when it closes. My old Dad worked out of Goole to and from Nottingham and Hull, it was great they had some of the old boat types he worked on. He lived in a row of houses on the bank of the river close to where he worked.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really gutted about this.  I gather there were different contributing factors but CRT ( who own all the land ) putting the ground rent up from the charitable rate of £4000 to commercial rate of £18000 a year was one of the major factors. No more Folksail festival to look forward to. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/05/2019 at 12:56, Heartland said:

What will happen to the collection? Has anything been discussed yet?

On 06/05/2019 at 13:27, pete.i said:

It will probably be farmed out to better funded museums around the country. Doubt it will stay up here because Goole Museum is the only waterways museum in the north. If the collection doesn't get farmed out then, presumably, it will be left to rot at Goole like the myriad of other boats dotted around that part of the canal. This is only my opinion I have absolutely no inside knowledge.

The tug Wheldale, together with three Tom Puddings and a Jebus are now up for sale:

http://www.alanpease.co.uk/boats/wheldale.html

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

I'm surprised at that. Museums are often obliged to offer things to other museums when they close

An accredited museum is, under Museums Association guidelines, obliged to offer/sell disposals to other accredired museums first but as the Yorkshire Museum is probably in the hands of receivers I imagine that all rules go out of the window.

https://www.museumsassociation.org/download?id=1075416

Edited by Tim Lewis

7 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

@NB Esk want another midlife crisis?!

Think of it as spares ... :giggles:

Don't worry, already had the phone call....."would you be interested in a Tom pudding pan, to compliment your tug?"  And yes, would be great but what do you with one, realistically?  As soon as you own it, it becomes a financial drain and as HATFIELD is up for sale (to the right buyer) it could become a deal breaker.

We do have plans to go over and have a look at them but there's only one that's original and unplated, plus all have been ballasted (repaired?) by having concrete poured into them.

• Horror 1

8 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

An accredited museum is, under Museums Association guidelines, obliged to offer/sell disposals to other accredired museums first but as the Yorkshire Museum is probably in the hands of receivers I imagine that all rules go out of the window.

https://www.museumsassociation.org/download?id=1075416

If they are a charity, the charities commission would have an interest

Would be interesting to know who actually owns WHELDALE, always led to believe it was still owned by Hargreaves and on loan to the museum.

Could do with swapping my Jebus for theirs, mine is welded with a riveted tug, while theirs is riveted with a welded tug.  Might have to take a trip to Goole, after dark...?

4 hours ago, NB Esk said:

Would be interesting to know who actually owns WHELDALE, always led to believe it was still owned by Hargreaves and on loan to the museum.

Could do with swapping my Jebus for theirs, mine is welded with a riveted tug, while theirs is riveted with a welded tug.  Might have to take a trip to Goole, after dark...?

You will have the choice of two.

Hatfield is for sale with it's Jebus as well.

http://www.alanpease.co.uk/boats/hatfield.html

Reading the Goole Times a newly formed group 'The Yorkshire waterways society' are looking to buy Wheldale and the three Tom puddings. Their intention is to continue to use the tug for for public tours of Goole docks. Donations can be made at 'www.justgiving.com/campaign/Wheldale' The article reads that a target of £35.000 has been set but expensive work will be required in the near future with dry dock and survey required.  

• Greenie 1

YWHS are indeed trying to raise enough to buy and repair and run Wheldale. 2 of us are going across to Wakefield next Wednesday to look at Hatfield. We have a strong team working together including all of the volunteers from the YWM. We have been quoted 17,000 to repair the stern gland which is leaking badly, and another 5,000 to replace/ plate up the aft-peak bulkhead which is pitted. There may well be problems on the hull when we get her in dry dock as she hasn't had anodes fitted since we took her to London in 2012. The pans are also leaky but not currently below the waterline. The jebus is a lot older than the tug.

• Greenie 1

Wheldale was bought from Hargreaves for 11,000 in 1996. Hatfield is currently of interest as she was the only one of the 7 built in Goole, at Camplings. Wheldale was E. C. Jones of Brentford as were 2 of the others, with 3 at Thorne.

On 12/06/2019 at 15:21, Fitter kieron said:

Reading the Goole Times a newly formed group 'The Yorkshire waterways society' are looking to buy Wheldale and the three Tom puddings. Their intention is to continue to use the tug for for public tours of Goole docks. Donations can be made at 'www.justgiving.com/campaign/Wheldale' The article reads that a target of £35.000 has been set but expensive work will be required in the near future with dry dock and survey required.  

I'm rather surprised this wasn't done before the museum had to close, then perhaps it could have been saved. 

11 minutes ago, Wheldale said:

We have been quoted 17,000 to repair the stern gland which is leaking badly, and another 5,000 to replace/ plate up the aft-peak bulkhead which is pitted. There may well be problems on the hull when we get her in dry dock as she hasn't had anodes fitted since we took her to London in 2012. The pans are also leaky but not currently below the waterline. The jebus is a lot older than the tug.

Get another quote.   Do you need contact numbers?  Try John at Wakefield ... @NB Esk will support me on this.  Other contacts are available on request by private message if he won't!

Edited by TheBiscuits