Brentford Possible Blockage

mark99

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

That's what I thought, unusual, an unfortunate manoeuvre as it turns out. Be interesting to know whether it was a single hander or there was crew as well.

I take my boat backwards through the lock here from time to time, and it is the most confusing thing to do. I can totally imagine this boater keeping the boat well forward as one would normally do, to avoid the sill that is now at the opposite end. 

It is not just confusing to me, it confuses the hell out of any passers-by or other boaters arriving. People really struggle to grasp what I'm doing and try to do all the wrong things to 'help'. 

35 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I take my boat backwards through the lock here from time to time, and it is the most confusing thing to do. I can totally imagine this boater keeping the boat well forward as one would normally do, to avoid the sill that is now at the opposite end. 

It is not just confusing to me, it confuses the hell out of any passers-by or other boaters arriving. People really struggle to grasp what I'm doing and try to do all the wrong things to 'help'. 

Don't try the Ribble Link then!

7 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I'll give you 3 out of 4 but, given that it was going uphill, not sure how cilling would be the cause, unless it was coming down backwards. Or there was a much more complex sequence of events that led to the water level dropping after the boat had rise above the level of the cill.

Lots of guessing going on from various people, but without facts I suggest guesses is just what they are.

Another possibility it simply that it was going uphill, and drifted forward, and something at the front got caught on some part of the gate structure, such that the bow was held down as the lock filled before becoming inundated.

I'm not suggesting that's what did happen, but it is as likely as some of the other guesses, particular as it involves everyday operation of a lock, not someone trying to do something unusual.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Lots of guessing going on from various people, but without facts I suggest guesses is just what they are.

Another possibility it simply that it was going uphill, and drifted forward, and something at the front got caught on some part of the gate structure, such that the bow was held down as the lock filled before becoming inundated.

I'm not suggesting that's what did happen, but it is as likely as some of the other guesses, particular as it involves everyday operation of a lock, not someone trying to do something unusual.

I would say this is a quite likely explanation given the bow rail arrangement that appears to have been added to this boat.

13 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Quite possible - but my point was regard with the specific use of 'cilling' which is not normally associated with going uphill. Don't know if there is a specific term for 'getting caught under something on a lock gate whilst ascending' . . . 

1 minute ago, Mike Todd said:

Quite possible - but my point was regard with the specific use of 'cilling' which is not normally associated with going uphill. Don't know if there is a specific term for 'getting caught under something on a lock gate whilst ascending' . . . 

Well having a town class this action is either known as a whoops as the gate falls off, or a surf as the bow fender weak link pops causing rapid upward motion and huge waves

Somewhat staggeringly there are now pictures of what certainly looks like the same boat sunk again, this time below a lock, (possibly the same lock).

What on earth is going on?

Sunk Boat 2.jpg

Sunk Boat 1.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

There's a hole in the boat, dear Liza, dear Liza,
There's a hole in the boat, dear Liza, a hole.
So fix it dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
So fix it dear Henry, dear Henry, fix it.
With what should I fix it, dear Liza, dear Liza,
With what should I fix it, dear Liza, with what?
With straw, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
With straw, dear Henry, dear Henry, with straw.
But the straw is too long, dear Liza, dear Liza,
The straw is too long, dear Liza, too long.
So cut it dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
So cut it dear Henry, dear Henry, cut it!
With what should I cut it, dear Liza, dear Liza,
With what should I cut it, dear Liza, with what?
With an axe, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
With an axe, dear Henry, an axe.

The Beatles lyrics only said that they lived on a yellow submarine, but implied nothing about other people's colour schemes.

Also, this wouldn't be them because they were beneath the waves of a "sea of green", not the Grand Union.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Peter X said:

The Beatles lyrics only said that they lived on a yellow submarine, but implied nothing about other people's colour schemes.

Also, this wouldn't be them because they were beneath the waves of a "sea of green", not the Grand Union.

So in summary, we are of the view that the boat does not need to be yellow in order to want to be a submarine then, which was Richard's proposition in Post 63....

Even if it is a liveaboard?

4 minutes ago, Peter X said:

Unless of course the GU was covered in duckweed at the time! ?

5 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Somewhat staggeringly there are now pictures of what certainly looks like the same boat sunk again, this time below a lock, (possibly the same lock).

Sunk Boat 2.jpg

Sunk Boat 1.jpg

We have had some very heavy rain showers around Brentford.?

Yes, that is the same boat at the same lock. Sunk for a second time!

I think I have guessed what happened. The boat was going up. That lock has quite a strong fill that throws the boat forward. So the bow nestles against the top gate. no problem. Except this boat has a crazy railing on the bow. The railing snags the gate. Water rises, boat stays still...

Lesson, narrowboats are the shape they are as a result of hundreds of years (and millions of hours) of refinement. Don't mess with hard won learning. You don't know better!

15 minutes ago, WJM said:

Yes, that is the same boat at the same lock. Sunk for a second time!

I think I have guessed what happened. The boat was going up. That lock has quite a strong fill that throws the boat forward. So the bow nestles against the top gate. no problem. Except this boat has a crazy railing on the bow. The railing snags the gate. Water rises, boat stays still...

Lesson, narrowboats are the shape they are as a result of hundreds of years (and millions of hours) of refinement. Don't mess with hard won learning. You don't know better!

But the up thrust  would have bent the railing, Yet no damage to the paint let alone the top railing