Brentford Possible Blockage

mark99

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

Reeves Hull, got one on our boat never caught it on anything ......yet. 

Kelpie is a Reeves shell  and she had one of those things sticking out below the water line and it used to catch any weed and bits of stick which were floating. It was a proper pain as quite a mountain used to build up sometimes. When she was being bottom blacked we had the sticking out bit taken off but there is still a little bit there and it still sometimes picks up a load of weed. Gamebird has a similar thing but with her being trailable it is necessary for pulling her onto the trailer and if weed etc build up it is easy to lean over the side as we go along and shove it off with the boat hook. I never understood the reason for having a tow place on the front of a 58 foot narrow boat! 

haggis

7 hours ago, haggis said:

Kelpie is a Reeves shell  and she had one of those things sticking out below the water line and it used to catch any weed and bits of stick which were floating. It was a proper pain as quite a mountain used to build up sometimes. When she was being bottom blacked we had the sticking out bit taken off but there is still a little bit there and it still sometimes picks up a load of weed. Gamebird has a similar thing but with her being trailable it is necessary for pulling her onto the trailer and if weed etc build up it is easy to lean over the side as we go along and shove it off with the boat hook. I never understood the reason for having a tow place on the front of a 58 foot narrow boat! 

haggis

I thought this underwater tab had two functions, The first to facilitate moving the hull during manufacture and later  for slipping bow first. The second, of which I am not so certain, was that it provided a foothold for boarding the front of the boat from the water, never tested that one, fortunately.

3 minutes ago, DandV said:

and later  for slipping bow first.

How would that work then?

Yards seem perfectly able to dock boats without that eye, so I doubt it is any real use when slipping. 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

How would that work then?

Yards seem perfectly able to dock boats without that eye, so I doubt it is any real use when slipping. 

Taking an auxiliary line from the hull eye as an extra precaution to help prevent the boat slipping back on the cradle. But I think more just a vestage from the  manufacturing process.

7 minutes ago, DandV said:

Taking an auxiliary line from the hull eye as an extra precaution to help prevent the boat slipping back on the cradle.

I have NEVER seen a yard do this! Have you?

17 minutes ago, DandV said:

I thought this underwater tab had two functions, The first to facilitate moving the hull during manufacture and later  for slipping bow first. The second, of which I am not so certain, was that it provided a foothold for boarding the front of the boat from the water, never tested that one, fortunately.

Never thought of the foothold but I don't know if it would be a great help as it is quite far down the bows and well under the boat edge which you would need long arms to reach from there. 

haggis

23 minutes ago, haggis said:

Never thought of the foothold but I don't know if it would be a great help as it is quite far down the bows and well under the boat edge which you would need long arms to reach from there. 

haggis

You would need a line from the tee stud to hang on to, the bow line, and probably to put a loop in, as an additional foothold, and most probably, and most importantly, a strong assistant on the bow. I did think about how and what to do if it was not possible to board from aft, but not practiced either fore or aft boarding from the water. The only time we boarded anybody from the water was when aground midships, and they paddled out and boarded from standing up using the centreline with a couple of loops as footholds.

Winding above Lechlade we encountered the sandbar and dropped the pole overboard that floated off,

On 06/05/2019 at 08:55, Bee said:

I've always thought that little 'tab' that some builders leave sticking out where the bottom of the stempost meets the bottom plate is asking for trouble. If that catches some sort of crack or bit of ironmongery on the cill then things could go badly.

That actually did happen to me on the Grand Union at Hunton Bridge lock 73 nearly 20 years ago. The lock cills on the South Grand Union have a lumb of timbler with a steel band across the top fitted to the front of the cill. The tab in my case hooked under the steel band as the boat came up. Quickly spotted that the bow was down in water and drop the paddle and nipped to the other end to let some water out, therefore releasing the boat. When the boat was next out the water the tip was bent upwards. 

22 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Picture of the boat being raised, from the RCR Facebook page

F3C4CB73-993E-4921-9EE9-BF2598DB5E31.jpeg

I'll give you 3 out of 4 but, given that it was going uphill, not sure how cilling would be the cause, unless it was coming down backwards. Or there was a much more complex sequence of events that led to the water level dropping after the boat had rise above the level of the cill.

5 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Looks like bow on cill so possible descending lock backwards for whatever reason, possible prior to turning round, moving mooring etc.

That's what I thought, unusual, an unfortunate manoeuvre as it turns out. Be interesting to know whether it was a single hander or there was crew as well.

I am guessing about the cause. What if the boat was going up, but for whatever reason, at about half full, changed their minds, and decided to empty the lock to back out, or maybe if single-handed, open the gates to share it with a following boat. And then not realising it, the bow was caught on the cill........the lock rapidly refilled hoping to 'cure' the problem  -   but not with any success.

... although it does not explain how the lock became almost full with a completely submerged  boat....

PS. Sorry. Did not see the previous comments along these lines. I started writing yesterday -

Edited by Horace42