Beware- Untrained volunteers on T&M wide locks

noddyboater

Featured Posts

On 05/05/2019 at 17:16, Jennifer McM said:

Think several locks along there have the same problem. In my case, the surge of water got between the boat and the lock landing. The boat was straining at an angle, so letting go of the rope (tho' I didn't have much option) was better option than having the boat tip too far over.  All been registered to 'experience' :) 

We followed a chap in a narrowboat up the Trent one day who insisted on mooring his narrowboat on just the centre rope below each lock. And at each lock as the lockie opened the sluices to let the water out his boat heeled over at an alarming angle straining on the centre line to the sound of clattering inside the cabin.

It took him until Holme lock to realise he might have better success using a bow and stern line to moor up below the lock. (Getting back off the lock landing with two ropes attached seemed to confuse him mind)

He clearly didn't have a VHF as he would have heard us hailing each lock and would have just hung back to wait.

I wouldn't like to have had the task of reassembling his interior that day!

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, noddyboater said:

My original post was a warning to other boaters that may be in the area, not a general whinge. 

You're contradicting yourself now, you say it's not a whinge, yet your OP opens with …….

"Yes I know it’s another moan"

I stand by my interpretation that you're trying to delegate responsibility for supposedly spotting a hazard.

55 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We followed a chap in a narrowboat up the Trent one day who insisted on mooring his narrowboat on just the centre rope below each lock. And at each lock as the lockie opened the sluices to let the water out his boat heeled over at an alarming angle straining on the centre line to the sound of clattering inside the cabin.

It took him until Holme lock to realise he might have better success using a bow and stern line to moor up below the lock. (Getting back off the lock landing with two ropes attached seemed to confuse him mind)

He clearly didn't have a VHF as he would have heard us hailing each lock and would have just hung back to wait.

I wouldn't like to have had the task of reassembling his interior that day!

Yes, that lesson is now very well learnt :) 

Luckily nothing was broken in the boat, except my nerves!

It might take a couple minutes longer to tie up on the bow and stern, but it's very well worth it. 

On 05/05/2019 at 17:09, Victor Vectis said:

I had a similar problem on the same trip that I mentioned before, it might have been at Weston Lock but I don't remember exactly.

I was moving a friends boat. I'd tied the boat up below the lock, put the centre line around a bollard, and went up and started to empty the lock. The surge of water pulled the boat forward and snapped the centre line. I saw what was happening and dashed back to the lock landing in time to jump onto the back (perhaps cruiser sterns have their uses after all!)

Putting the engine into 'hard astern' wasn't enough stop the boat smacking into the bridge abutment below the lock.

THinking about it I reckon it was probably Aston Lock.

Yes - most likely Aston Lock as the same thing happened to me some years back.  I was single handed and didn't see what was going on to my boat as the line of sight is blocked by a bridge.   I'm very cautious going through Aston, Weston, Swarkestone and Stenson.     

On 05/05/2019 at 17:09, Victor Vectis said:

I had a similar problem on the same trip that I mentioned before, it might have been at Weston Lock but I don't remember exactly.

I was moving a friends boat. I'd tied the boat up below the lock, put the centre line around a bollard, and went up and started to empty the lock. The surge of water pulled the boat forward and snapped the centre line. I saw what was happening and dashed back to the lock landing in time to jump onto the back (perhaps cruiser sterns have their uses after all!)

Putting the engine into 'hard astern' wasn't enough stop the boat smacking into the bridge abutment below the lock.

THinking about it I reckon it was probably Aston Lock.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, zenataomm said:

You're contradicting yourself now, you say it's not a whinge, yet your OP opens with …….

"Yes I know it’s another moan"

I stand by my interpretation that you're trying to delegate responsibility for supposedly spotting a hazard.

Bloomin hell, is that the only thing you could pick me up on from my last post? 

You should read it again and try harder. 

And I think you’ll find that “another moan” is nothing like a “general whinge”. 

1 minute ago, noddyboater said:

And I think you’ll find that “another moan” is nothing like a “general whinge”.

Yes I took 'another moan' to mean another in a series of forum moans from various posters about vollies.

A 'general whinge' is a different thing entirely, obvs, and could have been about anything.

Hope that helps.....

3 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

www.dictionary.com defines whinge as moan.

Yes it's Aus for moan, IIRC. Once prefixed with the qualifier 'general', it ceases to be another in the long list of moans specifically about vollies. 

Gosh, is that the time?

14 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes it's Aus for moan, IIRC. Once prefixed with the qualifier 'general', it ceases to be another in the long list of moans specifically about vollies. 

Gosh, is that the time?

14 hours ago, zenataomm said:

www.dictionary.com defines whinge as moan.

There’s a huge difference between the two and I don’t need www. anything to define it. 

Can’t you think of a situation where hearing “another moan” would be most acceptable but a “general whinge” certainly wouldn’t? 

17 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I don't need to, you may not accept what a dictionary says, however I do.

It’s nothing to do with the dictionary, just common sense. Moaning is not the same as whinging. Moaning  can mean someone is experiencing a degree of pleasure, whinging does not. 

11 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Stop whining you lot! ;)

A whine.. that’s a tricky one.

...When they’d done she gave a whine, said ‘Thank you for a lovely time’...

Pleasure and pain?  But you’re right, this has gone far enough off topic now. Anyway another thread seems to have been turned into a gripe about volunteers!