Gardner 1966 1L2

mark99

Featured Posts

The late date surprised me,as I thought that production of L2s had ceased many years earlier (early 1950s?) But I think the single-cylinder variant remained on catalogue for much longer as it was apparently used in laboratories. What it did in laboratories I have no idea.

22 minutes ago, Athy said:

The late date surprised me,as I thought that production of L2s had ceased many years earlier (early 1950s?) But I think the single-cylinder variant remained on catalogue for much longer as it was apparently used in laboratories. What it did in laboratories I have no idea.

It went round and made a thunk thunk noise.

Is this from the British Aerospace era?  When did the "big house" close?

26 minutes ago, Athy said:

What it did in laboratories I have no idea.

Educating students would be a good starting point. I can remember doing air flow, fuel flow and band brake tests on an engine as part of my degree

Richard

11 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

It went round and made a thunk thunk noise.

Is this from the British Aerospace era?  When did the "big house" close?

:D

I don't think Gardner ever belonged to British Aerospace, though I have not had the opportunity to check in the 'Legendary Engineering Excellence' book as my copy is out on loan.

Gardner was bought by Hawker Siddeley, but that wasn't until the late 1970s, so well after this engine was built.

If by "The Big House" you mean the Barton Hall works in Patricroft, full production seems to have ceased around 1994, though Gardner Parts Ltd. still had premises on the site in 2004.

8 hours ago, mark99 said:

Actually I am quite interested, just had a wonderful lunch, am getting a bit fed up with boating, but love my 2LW..... this engine would be hopeless in a boat but would make a great display unit. A guy does the shows with a  1L2..... and this unit would top it. Now did the Lemoncello/ Port  and Stilton put me in a buying mood. Trailer plus draw bar on the car........

Edited by LEO
  • Happy 1

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I noticed that too. Is it a two stroke semi diesel? I really can't decide. No obvious hot bulb or crankcase air intake, yet no overhead valves either.

Looking on the interweb its described as a two stoke diesel

41 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Rig the 1L2 up to provide a inboard genny..............

I have seriously considered doing this many times.... 

On the subject of engine videos, the most interesting bits of an engine vid are the starting and stopping of it. Why do so few videos include these operations, I wonder...?

Even more feetmark than my Lister Blackstone but I'm so pleased that the barring lever didn't slip out whilst the little girl was on the wrong side of it, mine weighs getting on for 20 pounds.