Reversible seating on a pullman?

Featured Posts

revamping my boat and I can recall seeing at Crick a couple of years ago seating that faced the pullman for eating but somehow reversed to face the lounge for other times, cant recall any more specifics and could do with seeing design, anyone help please

1 minute ago, Detling said:

Like the rick-rack trams the back of the seat is pivoted low down in the middle of the seat box ends and can slope backwards or forwards, in a V type position basic shows principle blue one a bit posh

image.png.a2d5899a32579cacb98172d9a7f480c7.pngimage.png.d2b8e2d4fe01f43a04200be3f707d4fd.png.

It was something like that but obviously a bit smarter

There was one on The Duck (narrowboat) within the last couple of months with seating like that - can't for the life of me remember the name, but this might jog somebody else - in fact it may have been ABNB - will have a look in case its still on there.

When we were doing the rounds, looking for our boat, Kates Boats (https://www.kateboats.co.uk/) was fitting a reversible pullman for a customer.

Thought it was a great idea, depending whether you want two extra seats at the pullman table, or if you want two extra seating in the salon. All done by swinging the backrest.

It was a really neat job! 

Just to add, they don't appear to advertise their fitout services much, but found a mention here https://www.kateboats.co.uk/canal_boat_building-3/

Edited by Jennifer McM

We have this type of arrangement on our dinette.

The backrest removes to be used as part of the “mattress” when used as a bed. It has two oak supports that slot in behind the seat squab. There is a second set of slots on the other side of the squab allowing the whole arrangement to reverse and face the lounge. 

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

When we were doing the rounds, looking for our boat, Kates Boats (https://www.kateboats.co.uk/) was fitting a reversible pullman for a customer.

Thought it was a great idea, depending whether you want two extra seats at the pullman table, or if you want two extra seating in the salon. All done by swinging the backrest.

It was a really neat job! 

Just to add, they don't appear to advertise their fitout services much, but found a mention here https://www.kateboats.co.uk/canal_boat_building-3/

many thanks

We have that arrangement on our Kingsground boat. I believe it is quite common on their boats. 

A very useful feature to increase seating capacity in the saloon.

A few pics showing how it works:

IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2232.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, NB Ellisiana said:

We have that arrangement on our Kingsground boat. I believe it is quite common on their boats. 

IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2232.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

With this one, you have to lift the backrest out and replace it, does that look OK if the opposite backrest is standard?

14 hours ago, umpire111 said:

revamping my boat and I can recall seeing at Crick a couple of years ago seating that faced the pullman for eating but somehow reversed to face the lounge for other times, cant recall any more specifics and could do with seeing design, anyone help please

Lots of boats have this idea. Mine has, it would work well but we dont use it much at all. I see another poster has put fotos on for you, ours is much the same design.

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

With this one, you have to lift the backrest out and replace it, does that look OK if the opposite backrest is standard?

Of course it does mean that the corresponding side of the dinette is not usable with the seat reversed. Like many things on a narrowboat it is a compromise. But it doesn't look too odd reversed and it is only a temporary arrangement. Better than sitting on the floor! ?

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, NB Ellisiana said:

IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2232.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

Yes, the dinette in my Kingsground boat is very similar, although my dinette converts into two singles, either side of a central gangway.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification