Weaver Locks-------again

Boater Sam

Featured Posts

Another "unexpected, sudden failure", can they get nothing right?

Navigation closure notice: Weaver Navigation, Navigation: Closed, Towpath: Open

Inbox

x

Updates

x

Notices, Canal & River Trust <notices@canalrivertrust.org.uk> Unsubscribe

14:29 (1 hour ago)

to me

Notice Alert

Weaver Navigation
Starts At: Saltersford Large Lock
Ends At: Saltersford Large Lock
Up Stream Winding Hole: River Weaver
Down Stream Winding Hole: River Weaver

Wednesday 2 January 2019 08:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure 
Reason: Repair

Update on 03/05/2019:

Following prior updates indicating a planned reopening date of 18th May, unfortunately Saltersford Lock has since been subject to a structural failure at its downstream end. This has irreparably displaced some of the stop planks forming the downstream dam, causing the lock to become flooded during what was expected to be the final stages of the works – no one was hurt as a result of this. Unfortunately the repairs to the downstream lock gate cill had not been completed when this incident occurred; therefore, the lock is still inoperable until it can either be dewatered again, or if it is possible to complete the remaining repairs underwater using divers.

Our teams are working urgently to understand the nature of the failure, to establish what can be done safely to rectify the situation. At this stage we are unable to provide a revised opening date until assessment of the potential courses of action has been completed. We sincerely apologise to our customers as regrettably the lock will be closed until further notice. We will provide another update in due course.

It must be wonderful to be absolutely perfect and live in your perfect world. 
I presume that as a fully qualified surveyor and mechanical engineer you have volunteered your obvious extensive knowledge to CaRT to overcome all the problems that you seem so happy to mention. 

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

It must be wonderful to be absolutely perfect and live in your perfect world. 
I presume that as a fully qualified surveyor and mechanical engineer you have volunteered your obvious extensive knowledge to CaRT to overcome all the problems that you seem so happy to mention. 

Oh dear, totally uncalled for sarcasm, its still the lowest form of wit. I am feeling sorry for you if you live in such an ugly world, I don't want to know you, on the ignore list you go.

The Weaver is a big navigation with some big structures and Engineering, including some hefty swing bridges. CRT are potentially a bit out of their depth here, they are a wellbeing and marketing charity with a secondary interest in big waterways structures. Taking on the Thames will also be a challenge. They have also lost a lot of experienced "on the ground" staff over the last few years. One really big Weaver failure could consume a very significant part of their annual budgets.

The Weaver was built in the days of massive industry and shipping when large sums of money were available, now its just used by a few leisure boaters and most of these never much beyond the Anderton lift.

It would have been very easy to walk away from the Weaver but CRT have got stuck in and tried to fix these things on a limited budget. Its good nobody was hurt, working on huge historic structures like these must be quite a risky thing.

I really think the government should have established an additional funding for major historic engineering infrastructure, I think I remember that CRT asked for this and were turned down.

.............Dave

• Greenie 3

4 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Another "unexpected, sudden failure", can they get nothing right?

Unnecessary criticism in my opinion.

CRT get plenty right, just not everything. The vast majority of their maintenance work gets finished on time and as planned, to answer your question. But you knew this anyway, I'm sure. 

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

Very good post from DMR

We are on the Weaver now at Vale Royal after checking out the Middlewich branch repair yesterday. Chatting to a lockie today and he mentioned the accident. Its a pity, but at least no one was injured or worse.

We were talking about CRT,  and agreed that in general they do a decent job in enabling us to continue doing what we enjoy the most - or at least the lads and lasses on the ground do. I sometimes think a lot of folk fail to realise how incredibly difficult and expensive it is to maintain such a vulnerable and fragile system......

• Greenie 1

I wonder if the C&RT apologists club will still be excusing all the balls-ups after this bunch of incompetents have got the whole of our inland waterways system permanently closed to navigation and reduced the market value of all their boats to virtually nothing ?

If you listen carefully enough, you can hear the laughter echoing down the corridors of the Milton Keynes HQ !

It's a long while since we have been on the Weaver, but am I right in assuming then that although there are parallel locks at Saltersford that the other one is not usable?

56 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

It's a long while since we have been on the Weaver, but am I right in assuming then that although there are parallel locks at Saltersford that the other one is not usable?

It hasn’t been used for many years.  Whether it would have been easier to reinstate it than fix the bigger lock is another question.

12 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

All the Weaver locks are paired but only one is routinely used, with the other in various states of dis-repair ranging from, "might be navigable" to "needs a LOT of work".

I think at Saltisford its the bigger lock that is used (and here were we are talking big and very big). I believe Danial Adamson is wanting to use the Weaver up to almost Northwich so fixing the big lock is probably the only option.

There is also a company wanting to re-introduce some commercial operations if the dredging and locks can be sorted out.

.............Dave

• Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Maybe the"Danny" should have thought of that before breaking Weston Marsh lock!

What a lovely day, I think I'll just go out and break a lock....

44 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

I think it was a light hearted tongue in cheek comment 

certainly that’s how I and I suspect most people would have taken it 

Not to a Danny member..

2 hours ago, Dalesman said:

Not to a Danny member..

I doubt the Danny people are that thin skinned.

As the owner of a Josher, I get a lot of stick from owners of GU boats but, despite what Hitler says, I know I own the superior boat so it is all water off a duck's back! ?

George