Inflatable canoe - leaking valve

Featured Posts

Pic of canoe and suspect valve below. Bubble come up when inflated and the chamber affected is not canalworthy after about half an hour.

The leak is in the seal shown, no matter how hard you screw the valve in, it leaks. 

My thoughts are rather than £60 plus labour etc for a new bladder this must be easily fixable, even if it requires a coat of something on every inflation. The question is what to use. Any ideas? 

Thanks folks!

20190503_103120.jpg

20190503_085237.jpg

20190503_103610.jpg

2 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Pic of canoe and suspect valve below. Bubble come up when inflated and the chamber affected is not canalworthy after about half an hour.

The leak is in the seal shown, no matter how hard you screw the valve in, it leaks. 

My thoughts are rather than £60 plus labour etc for a new bladder this must be easily fixable, even if it requires a coat of something on every inflation. The question is what to use. Any ideas? 

Thanks folks!

20190503_103120.jpg

20190503_085237.jpg

20190503_103610.jpg

I would try a new O ring and/or slip an additional one down the screw thread as a first attempt. If only on the grounds that it is a simple thing to test.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - new o-ring almost worked, very slight leak (tiny bubbles) which can probably be solved with a little ingenuity and use of something like vaseline to get a better seal

BUT  (you knew there was one coming) the missing o-ring hid another problem. Leaking from the back of the valve where it joins the skin and the bladder. (See photo)

Lady who owns the canoe wants to take it to retailer and raise hell. Two problems, first it's well out of guarantee (3 years old 1 year guarantee - although she reported a leak within the guarantee period that they claimed they'd fixed), second she wants me to go with her, and whilst I would describe them as chocolate teapots in the technical department I think we haven't a leg to stand on.

Any suggestions for what might seal the back of the valve - I don't want to use something that fails and can't easily be removed. 

20190512_104607.jpg

2 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Update - new o-ring almost worked, very slight leak (tiny bubbles) which can probably be solved with a little ingenuity and use of something like vaseline to get a better seal

I'm not quite sure where the tiny bubbles are coming from so this might not be the best idea I've ever had but instead if Vaseline could you use something a bit more permanent like Sugru. It's brilliant stuff and most of my best ideas involve the use of it. :D

https://sugru.com

3 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I'm not quite sure where the tiny bubbles are coming from so this might not be the best idea I've ever had but instead if Vaseline could you use something a bit more permanent like Sugru. It's brilliant stuff and most of my best ideas involve the use of it. :D

Looks good - I'd never heard of it! 

The valve body screws together sandwiching the material between. With the canoe deflated you should be able to get enough grip on the inside piece (hint - the further within reason you grip through the body the more slack you get)

Option 1 - try and tighten

Option 2 - carefully loosen, clean and tighten. DON'T let go the inside piece (hint - have a helper)

11 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Is it oil resistant?

If so I could use it to fashion a new "O"  ring for the scraper on my drip feed oil stove.

29 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

The new Duck Tape...

If you can't fix it with Sugru, you haven't used enough....

And if the hammer hasn’t repaired it the hammer was too small. 

Duck tape is The Force. It holds the universe together. 

• 6 months later...
On 15/05/2019 at 21:54, magpie patrick said:

BUT  (you knew there was one coming) the missing o-ring hid another problem. Leaking from the back of the valve where it joins the skin and the bladder. (See photo)

Lady who owns the inflatable canoe wants to take it to retailer and raise hell. Two problems, first it's well out of guarantee (3 years old 1 year guarantee - although she reported a leak within the guarantee period that they claimed they'd fixed), second she wants me to go with her, and whilst I would describe them as chocolate teapots in the technical department I think we haven't a leg to stand on.

Any suggestions for what might seal the back of the valve - I don't want to use something that fails and can't easily be removed. 

I think we might also take a tube of silicone-caulk (good silicone caulk like silicone II) and shoot some in where you think it's leaking, wait for it to dry, then duct tape it, giving it the “double-whammy” if you will. And if you want to find out where it's leaking from, fill it up with water this is a process through you can save leakage of canoe i have hobies cat 16'' and canoe i think you some repairing equipment for you inflatable canoe have you any canoe......? What is model of your canoe......?