Thread seal barbed hose fitting, yes or no ?

Featured Posts

Should I put thread seal on barbed hose ?

Going to attach new car heater pipe (SAEJ20R3) to existing barbed hose connectors on engine and calorifier, locked down with SS jubilee clips.... Should I just jam hose on 'dry' ?, or should I put on a bit of thread seal (JetLube v-2) onto the male barbed hose connector before I put pipe on ? ... would it help seal or would it help hose come off !??

5 minutes ago, Sassy Lass said:

Should I put thread seal on barbed hose ?

Going to attach new car heater pipe (SAEJ20R3) to existing barbed hose connectors on engine and calorifier, locked down with SS jubilee clips.... Should I just jam hose on 'dry' ?, or should I put on a bit of thread seal (JetLube v-2) onto the male barbed hose connector before I put pipe on ? ... would it help seal or would it help hose come off !??

It'll be fine without - just put 2 jubilee clips ('heads' at 180 degrees to each other) and it will be secure

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It'll be fine without - just put 2 jubilee clips ('heads' at 180 degrees to each other) and it will be secure

Actually I disagree. 

Firstly, no sealant. As the OP identifies, it just helps the hoses pop off again at a random time later. 

And regarding jubilee clips, the barbs create the water seal not the clips. The clip should be right at the end of the hose to physically hold it on, leaving two or three of the barbs undistorted so they can do their sealing as intended. The worm drive section of a Jubilee clip tends to distort the hose and can allow fluid to leak past the distortion. Put two on, even at 180 degrees opposite, and you now have two places where the seal is corrupted. One clip is plenty to physically keep the pipe on. 

That's my thinking on the subject anyway. 

28 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's my thinking on the subject anyway. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it is standard practice on (real) boats to "double clip" and is a 'failure' by a surveyor if any hull fittings are no done so.

RYA recommendation :

Seacock safety

Hoses attached to seacocks and skin fittings should be double clipped so that they are secure. Double clipping increases the surface area of the clipped pipe so there is less chance of the pipe coming off.

Dip the end of the hose in some hot water from the kettle, just before you push it on the fir tree fitting. Makes it a lot easier. Make sure the clip(s) are on the hose before pushing it on to the fitting. Bitter experience! ? Orientate the clips before hand so they are going to be accessible for tightening. Some locations can be problematic and thinking it through beforehand helps.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Dip the end of the hose in some hot water from the kettle, just before you push it on the fir tree fitting. Makes it a lot easier. Make sure the clip(s) are on the hose before pushing it on to the fitting. Bitter experience! ? Orientate the clips before hand so they are going to be accessible for tightening. Some locations can be problematic and thinking it through beforehand helps.

Jen

I was just about to write exactly this.  After fitting hundreds of horticultual irrigation pipes, I also learned to clean out the kettle before making a cup of tea.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

Get your self a proper flexible hose clip driver,saves time and skinned knuckles!!!??

37 minutes ago, Ian F B said:

Get your self a proper flexible hose clip driver,saves time and skinned knuckles!!!??

Yes, or better, I use a 1/4" drive socket set with 6" extension bar and a 7mm socket for Jubilee clips.

When I can find it!

• Greenie 2

Thanks. Gotta love this forum. So much accumulated arcane knowledge and so many great tips ?

I'll: Fit without sealant, make sure clips are on the hose, orientate them, probably use 2 with heads at 180deg (because Im a two-clip kind of girl), warm the tube in boiling water, tighten with 7mm socket.  

• Happy 1

26 minutes ago, Sassy Lass said:

Thanks. Gotta love this forum. So much accumulated arcane knowledge and so many great tips ?

I'll: Fit without sealant, make sure clips are on the hose, orientate them, probably use 2 with heads at 180deg (because Im a two-clip kind of girl), warm the tube in boiling water, tighten with 7mm socket.  

Bear in mind using two clips increases the chances of a leak.

28 minutes ago, Sassy Lass said:

Bear in mind that using two clips improves the chance of getting a good seal.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Bear in mind that using two clips improves the chance of getting a good seal.

Bear in mind Alan is sometimes wrong about stuff like this!

(Unlike moi, obvs.... lol!) 

If you can, buy the stainless steel version and not cheapo plated steel types often found in car spares shops.

If you overtighten you will strip the threaded part, this is less likely with the stainless steel type.

As said earlier, they need to be as close as possible to the OD of the pipe as measured when on the barbed connection.

Personally for a small car heater hose (usually 1/2 or 5/8" bore) 1 clip is sufficient, especially at the very low pressure the cooling system is working at.

Unless the barb is an extended type you will struggle to fit 2 clips most likely.

Just make sure the clip is positioned about 2/3 of the distance from the outer end of the barbed connector.

Once the hose has been warmed a few times, check the clip tightness as the rubber will have displaced at bit. 

• Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

"jubilee" style clamps are not a good option as they distort around the clamp screw area. Something like a MIKALOR clamp is superior to my mind.

Quite agree. I use this type of clamp when I can afford them.

Honestly, one clamp is enough!

61-2Oh+IMFL._SL1050_.jpg

Those Mikalor clips look really nice * . You've sent me down another wonderful rabbit hole !!. Make the Jubilee SS314 ones Ive got look like children's toys .. Price comparable as looks like definitely get only x1 on. Available here

*Yes, Im strange like that, I really do like them...suspect I might be in the right place on here?

18 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I was just about to write exactly this.  After fitting hundreds of horticultual irrigation pipes, I also learned to clean out the kettle before making a cup of tea.

Never mind that, I did the morning brew normally and noticed the milk was a bit lumpy so wandered off to get a new carton.

Got back boss had made 2 brews all lovely and piping hot.

I picked up the recently used lumpy milk to point out his error and realised it wasn't lumpy because if was off, it was lumpy because a mouse had climbed in and drowned

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Quite agree. I use this type of clamp when I can afford them.

Honestly, one clamp is enough!

61-2Oh+IMFL._SL1050_.jpg

These type of clamp are very good. I believe that they are often used on competition vehicles.I had a leak on the flexibles on my water tank that nearly drove me more insane than I am already. These type of clamps were an instant cure.