Charging light illuminated when starting.When

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

When starting the engine hot or cold (BMC 1500) the charging light stays on untill I give the engine a "blip"and then it goes out and stays out even at a slow tickover. Havn't checked alternator output,but batteries are charging ok 

Is it a faulty regulator or worn carbon brushes,or poor connections? or perhaps a sign that the alternator is on the way out?

Any advice most welcome.

That's normal. You need to up the speed to get the alternator to start charging, after that it is fine

If you have a voltmeter, watch what happens as you blip the engine, the voltage should go up a lot as the alternator begins to charge

Richard

4 minutes ago, dor said:

Agreed. Quite normal. Blip the throttle to excite the alternator.  Or play around with the wiring to increase the warning light current.

Yeah - gorra have an exited alternator - Ye Ha

Thanks for the replies.

should have added that the voltmeter reads 14 volts when the charging light is out.

Only noticed this because I have recently changed ny starting technique.

The instructions for starting are printed on tapes on the instrument panel,and read; "throttle to ten o clock,heater plugs for 30 seconds"  This results in the

engine starting with a roar and a cloud of smoke and the charging light goes out.

I have found that 10 seconds of the heater plugs and setting the throttle to a fast tickover position  is a more civilised way of starting,no smoke and the engine burbles away nicely. This is when I noticed the charging light staying on.

I am now reassured.

Once again,my thanks.++