What??? How???

StephenA

Featured Posts

We currently have a boat stuck in Lock 16, Harris Lock.

Our team are on site and are working to free the vessel

Unfortunately, the vessel is wider than the lock approach walls and is also wider than the published dimensions which gives a maximum beam of 4 metres.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/15155/lock-16-harris-lock-semington

Someone at CRT must be deeply angry about this. They don't normally say a peep about blaming the boater, not even when lock gates get de-mounted.

But this time the blame card seems to be getting played with barely concealed passive-aggressiveness in the stoppage notice. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Spelling.

A boater not knowing his Harris from his helbow?

4 metres is about 13'3". It must be a whopper of a boat - a "Dutch" barge? But would a broad lock (as, from memory, they are on the K&A) not be a bit wider than this, in order to accommodate two n/b's side by side?

PS Brian, our posts crossed.

Edited by Athy

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think this is the lock that has been rebuilt over the past 3 months and just reopend, At 4 Mts a pair of narrowboats would get stuck fast

There is a photo on Facebook showing the new walls https://www.facebook.com/groups/178384468913736/permalink/2197421550343341/

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think this is the lock that has been rebuilt over the past 3 months and just reopend, At 4 Mts a pair of narrowboats would get stuck fast

Re-Opened on 22/3

I assume that somewhere a 0.5 got missed off the Metre

8 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Re-Opened on 22/3

I assume that somewhere a 0.5 got missed off the Metre

If it's been open for nigh on six weeks, it's surprising that two narrowboats attempting to share the lock have not already experienced difficulties.

Incidentally, the previously troublesome second lock up the Napton flight has now been widened. But apparently it may have further shuttages because the contractors have finished it in bricks or stones which don't match the ones on the other side.

Kennet and Avon locks are not standard (whatever "standard"might mean) they were built for boats 70 foot by 13 foot 8 - 13 foot 8 equals 4.2 metres.

When I helped Luctor bring his boat down we didn't tru and share - she was a BCN station boat that had put on girth. Juno is a viking 23 and she sticks slightly if only one gate is opened. 

Going back to the early 90s we got held up on the Trent & Mersey between Burton and Shardlow where a pair of narrowboats got stuck in the bridge below one of the broad locks trying to exit the empty lock together, can not remember which one. Stuck for many hours. After seeing that I never leave a broad lock at the same time as another boat.

A couple of years ago I shared that lock with another narrowboat and had the fright of my life.

Going down we jammed together (presumably the walls tapered in somewhat.)

Whilst the water continued dropping we were both hanging in mid air at a very scary angle.

Lost a lot of crockery that day, and most of our dinner!

Please don't ask if we both had our fenders down!!!!

Never again!

Fortunately our lock wheeler managed to drop the paddles before it became a catastrophe.

• Horror 1

50 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Kennet and Avon locks are not standard (whatever "standard"might mean) they were built for boats 70 foot by 13 foot 8 - 13 foot 8 equals 4.2 metres.

When I helped Luctor bring his boat down we didn't tru and share - she was a BCN station boat that had put on girth. Juno is a viking 23 and she sticks slightly if only one gate is opened. 

It doesn't mean they have to be rebuilt to this width - must waste a lot of water when two narrowboats can't share...….

And yet at Beeston Iron there are lots of signs to say single passage only, despite the fact that my 6’ 11” boat has been through with another boat many times.

Bad enough to create a bottleneck, not helped by one of the paddles being out of service.

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

Nicholson's suggests the maximum width of the locks is 13' - 2".

24 minutes ago, dor said:

And yet at Beeston Iron there are lots of signs to say single passage only, despite the fact that my 6’ 11” boat has been through with another boat many times.

Bad enough to create a bottleneck, not helped by one of the paddles being out of service.

There is a bulge is Beeston so it depends on length of the boats and direction of travel and if you know the narrowest point whether you can keep away from it.

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

There’s a lock amongst the Devizes filght where you’re not recommended to share? Can’t remember. But have twice been witness to a pair of boats stuck in it. 

Only for a short period mind. A bit of rocking about and engine bursts freed them. 

Yes and I've an idea this might be it. But whichever lock it is, I know from personal experience with DMR that two modern shells 6ft 10in wide each, don't fit in. 

51 minutes ago, archie57 said:

It doesn't mean they have to be rebuilt to this width -

I think actually, it does. Most locks are listed structures and material alterations like adding a foot to the width would require Planning Permission, most unlikely to be granted. 

Dunno about this specific lock though, but increasing the width of a lock would be a totally different kettle of fish to rebuilding the aprons, involving removing one whole side of the lock, rebuilding the sills, new gates, and extending the bottom face of the lock to the new width. Probably about a year's work. 

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think actually, it does. Most locks are listed structures and material alterations like adding a foot to the width would require Planning Permission, most unlikely to be granted. 

Dunno about this specific lock though, but increasing the width of a lock would be a totally different kettle of fish to rebuilding the aprons, involving removing one whole side of the lock, rebuilding the sills, new gates, and extending the bottom face of the lock to the new width. Probably about a year's work. 

Didn't take a year 200 years ago.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

If it's been open for nigh on six weeks, it's surprising that two narrowboats attempting to share the lock have not already experienced difficulties.

Incidentally, the previously troublesome second lock up the Napton flight has now been widened. But apparently it may have further shuttages because the contractors have finished it in bricks or stones which don't match the ones on the other side.

WHO IS SUPPOSED TO SUPERVISE THESE SUBBIES !!!!

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And the rest...

Don't forget many locks have a solid brick bottom

278490_74aeaae3.jpg

Adding a foot to the width is a major job

Richard