Expensive windlass worth the price?

adorabelle63

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, magnetman said:

The chrome double eye windlass from wfbco is quite an unusual one to find but there is a risk of breaking it on hard to wind paddles due to the inadequate transition from shaft to socket. Not a big enough web on it. 

Nicely laid out collection :)

Eta the wfbco one was also produced as a single socket and there is a forum member who did break one but he might be too busy with work and fast cars and a town class motor with a Perkins it to be looking on here. 

I am never too busy for this Forum, you know that.

A Dunton Double is now my windlass of choice, but I do still have a W.F.B.Co. chrome windlass. I must confess that I never had a lot of confidence in the W.F.B.Co. chrome windlass and only ever used it on the relatively easy modern paddles between Napton and Knowle.

I have given up with the fast cars as the boat now occupies most of my money. Nowadays I drive a 2018 Ford Focus :captain:

Makes a change from the E63 and the Indian jaguar thing! 

I thought you might have tried a Tesla model S but as you are saving up for a RN or National I guess that takes precedence. 

Perkins did do some nice units to be fair. One of my boats has a P4 its a great engine. I did have a DM2 in a previous boat which sounded better and had more copper to polish. 

Edited by magnetman

28 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Makes a change from the E63 and the Indian jaguar thing! 

I thought you might have tried a Tesla model S but as you are saving up for a RN or National I guess that takes precedence. 

Perkins did do some nice units to be fair. One of my boats has a P4 its a great engine. I did have a DM2 in a previous boat which sounded better and had more copper to polish. 

I like cars with an internal combustion engine, and I hope to get to the end of my driving career without ever owning an electric car - so I hope there will never be a Tesla in my life.

I have no interest in an RN, and a National would not be at the top of my list either (I do have first refusal on one). The Perkins will be staying for the time being, along with the non-original engine room and back cabin, and I really like the thought of these things upsetting the 'enthusiasts'.

Keeping this thread on topic there were numerous windlass's in the hold of my boat amongst the junk left by the previous owners, including several alloy ones and a couple of brass ones (the previous owners operated a chandlery from their butty). There was also an old iron windlass for a small spindle amongst these but I gave it to somebody who showed an interest in it as old windlass's do not interest me at all :captain:

edit - The Mercedes E63 was by far the best car I have owned so far, but it depreciated more in 11 months than I paid for my boat. I could have kept the Jaguar XK Dynamic R but I wanted to ensure the restoration of the boat did not become a financial burden - and I do regret selling it now.

Edited by pete harrison

Reading the thread, the general gist that I get (and one I'd agree with) is that pretty much nobody likes the Lockmaster. The big disincentive for me is that I prefer to carry my fairly light windlass on a holster and since it is light I'm confident that should I be dumb enough to fall into a lock it wont cause me any real problem. I'm not sure that I'd say the same for a lockmaster, apparently the holster for it is an over the shoulder job and. despite being a reasonable swimmer, I'm not sure I'd want to find myself fully clothed in a full lock with one of those around my neck ( I know it is only a couple of kilos but I sink easily:unsure:)

• 2 years later...

I seem to be missing something regarding lockmaster, Go-windlass and similar ratchet windlass.   With the exception of the Lockmaster, these seem to have the same throw as a normal windlass, but have a ratchet on the end operating the paddle.    When I hit a stiff paddle with a normal (long throw alloy) windlass, I place the handle in the bottom position and pull up a few inches, then reposition the windlass and repeat.    Amazingly, there seems to be some magical ratchet like thingy in the paddle gear.   So My question is, if there's always a ratchet system in the paddle gear (Go Windlasses don t work on hydraulics) what's the advantage in the ratchet windlass please?  Is it just speed?   Mrs Ando sometimes need a longer throw, not another ratchet.

7 hours ago, Cal Ando said:

I seem to be missing something regarding lockmaster, Go-windlass and similar ratchet windlass.   With the exception of the Lockmaster, these seem to have the same throw as a normal windlass, but have a ratchet on the end operating the paddle.    When I hit a stiff paddle with a normal (long throw alloy) windlass, I place the handle in the bottom position and pull up a few inches, then reposition the windlass and repeat.    Amazingly, there seems to be some magical ratchet like thingy in the paddle gear.   So My question is, if there's always a ratchet system in the paddle gear (Go Windlasses don t work on hydraulics) what's the advantage in the ratchet windlass please?  Is it just speed?   Mrs Ando sometimes need a longer throw, not another ratchet.

Having watch folk faff about with them I have come to the conclusion that they are a waste of time and money. The extra weight is a hindrance, no extra leverage and the ratchets are too course to be useful.

Bit upsetting when you drop it in the cut too!

The GoWindlass has a fixed socket in the usual position for a normal (not long throw) windlass, so if the lock is easy I use that. The ratchet socket is a few inches further along, not as far as the long throw but far enough to give you extra leverage if you need it,  even without the ratchet. It's also generally not so long that you have to keep taking it off the spindle to clear the lock beam. If it's seriously hard work, you just pump the ratchet.

So you get three options, standard, semi-long throw and ratchet. With a bad back, I've found it a godsend this last year, though the ratchet has only been used on a few occasions. My wife's used it a bit more often when she's been along.

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Having watch folk faff about with them I have come to the conclusion that they are a waste of time and money. The extra weight is a hindrance, no extra leverage and the ratchets are too course to be useful.

Bit upsetting when you drop it in the cut too!

There's very little difference in the weight between a standard steel windlass and the Go. I've never dropped a windlass in the canal yet (probably do it tomorrow, now), though I noticed someone on FB saying they'd left a Go behind at a lock, which would upset you a bit.

You can use a Go Windlass with or without the ratchet by flicking a switch. I used to use a long throw aluminium windlass but I found the bigger circles my arm had to make were causing problems in my shoulder. I got a Go Windlass and I find it extremely helpful. I very seldom use the ratchet but it is there if I need it and one of the benefits for me is that you can use the hole nearer the handle if it is an easy paddle and it makes winding down so much easier. 

I admit that the first time I tried to use it, it went back on the boat but I persevered and now I wouldn't be without it. 

Haggis

• Greenie 1

On 02/05/2019 at 11:21, Boater Sam said:

Ordinary proper steel double headed windlass with a small square extension welded on the head 2" long, fits everything, winds long and short, little and large. Painted red so I can see it in the grass, magnetic, unique, MINE!

Not unique it sounds exactly like mine even down to the colour.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

Not unique it sounds exactly like mine even down to the colour.

I have seen such a windlass, very versatile and simple to use.  I hate those skeleton pressed metal horrors that are now sold, there is no taper on the "hole" so the fit on the spindle is terrible.

Sam no longer posts on here, sadly missed.

6 hours ago, haggis said:

You can use a Go Windlass with or without the ratchet by flicking a switch. I used to use a long throw aluminium windlass but I found the bigger circles my arm had to make were causing problems in my shoulder. I got a Go Windlass and I find it extremely helpful. I very seldom use the ratchet but it is there if I need it and one of the benefits for me is that you can use the hole nearer the handle if it is an easy paddle and it makes winding down so much easier. 

I admit that the first time I tried to use it, it went back on the boat but I persevered and now I wouldn't be without it. 

Haggis

Exactly the same for me. However I do have a rather perverse side that likes to save nice things for best so I sometimes find myself reaching for my cheap regular windlass instead!

As Arthur says, the GoWindlass is roughly the same weight as a steel one. Before using it I tied some string to it and lowered it into the water (depth of about 4ft) then tested retrieving it with my Seamagnet . It managed it no problem.

We've had ours for 3 years and my wife wouldn't be without it. In that time she's worked through well over 300 locks and, granted she doesn't use the ratchet function all the time of course, but nevertheless the cogs are showing no signs of wear.