Locks

Dunworkin

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

I'm happy going down Tyrley,but I need a cork when going up.I hate those bywashes & I've never seen them not running.One in particular is reallllly evil.?

Yes, we've recently come down them and the really evil one is the second one up, first time I went through (going up) I wasn't going fast enough into the lock and got pinned by the by-weir in the entrance, took me ages to get off again.

2 hours ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

I'm happy going down Tyrley,but I need a cork when going up.I hate those bywashes & I've never seen them not running.One in particular is reallllly evil.?

Bloody hell that looks almost as tricky as going up into the lock at Woolhampton on the K&A! But not quite. 

(FF to 5.00 minutes anyone wanting to see just the Tyrley Locks bit.)

Thanks for posting. Most interesting. 

On a slightly different theme, can anyone explain the why the boat get drawn towards the by-weirs on the Shroppie flights? It seem counter-intuitive to me that water is rushing into the pound from the side and yet the boat gets drawn towards it. On one of the locks I'd come out of the lock, held the boat in the lock tail whilst I closed the gates and then couldn't go anywhere because the bow had been draw to the by-weir and, although the water was hitting the side of the boat and washing halfway up the boat, it wasn't pushing the boat away from the by-weir. Eventually freed it with a hefty shove from the bow with the boat pole but still couldn't figure out why it was happening.

I assume that these problems are the result of the number of boats going through.  Back in the 70's I had no problem - the by-weirs were not running.  Perhaps the solution is to be the first boat through in the morning.

On 11/05/2019 at 11:00, blackrose said:

I'd need very long arms to be able to look down the sides - or a long tiller with an elbow joint.

Bath and North East Somerset-20130505-00283.jpg

We once met a lady of short stature on a wideboat who spent most of the time steering letting go of the tiller to leap to one side or the other to look down the sides. Her boat's course was rather erratic!

On 02/05/2019 at 18:27, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Yes, we've recently come down them and the really evil one is the second one up, first time I went through (going up) I wasn't going fast enough into the lock and got pinned by the by-weir in the entrance, took me ages to get off again.

Happened to me on the Llan, abreast across by wash, took ages to get off, it was only later I thought about opening the paddle to reduce the flow