Locks

Dunworkin

Featured Posts

Just a bit of advice from experienced boaters... is it generally regarded as best practice to judge the entry into a lock by standing to one side and looking down the length of the boat... or to stand centrally and judge from that position... I find that very hard as I clearly can't see both sides of the bow from a central stance, where at least I can judge one side by looking along the boat side...? Hope that makes sense... Any advice appreciated. 

I tend to judge by standing in the middle and lining the middle of the roof with the end of the lock. Sometimes I'll check down the sides to make sure there aren't any odd projections near the waterline.

Rubbing strakes are there for a reason, to protect the sides of the boat as you rub along the lock side. 

I look down the LHS and line up the edge of the gunnel with where I think the lock side is.  Mostly it slides in without my being aware of any contact though I'm not saying there isn't any, just that it is not perceptible. To get comfortable with your technique I would recommend doing a number of 15-lock days not too far apart.  

I sometimes look down the side but generally the middle. Crucially, try to be in line with the lock and not going too fast. That way if there is a bump very little harm will be done. Usually I'm moving very slowly as the bow enters the jaws of the lock, but if there's a strong cross current from the bywash I'll approach a bit faster and from that side, knowing I'm going to get pushed across.

Best practice is not to hit the sides; how it’s achieved is secondary.

I think the steering position may influence technique. If you are stood on the step of a traditional boat you are probably going to line up the middle of the boat with the far end of the lock. This is probably also easier on an uphill lock. On a cruiser stern more likely to look down the gunwale.

The angle of approach may also be a factor. Doing a sharp S turn off a lock landing might require lining up one side; approaching at speed from the centre of the channel it’s easy to line up the middle.

If lining up along one side be careful to allow for guard rails that can be below the water level. Just when you think you’re lined up with an inch to spare...

JP

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

A cheeky edit on your part though to make it say what you want, that is not a narrow lock and I stand by what I said.

It was not intended to be a 'cheeky edit' just to simply mention that not all boats :

1) Have mushrooms

2) Have the vents aligned down the centre line of the boat.

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It was not intended to be a 'cheeky edit' just to simply mention that not all boats :

1) Have mushrooms

Quite so. Ours has three mushroom vents. An aid to lining up for locks, one might think. But one is a couple of inches out of line with the others!

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

1) Have mushrooms

Then why did you not quote my full post and removed the reference to narrow locks, rather poor form I think.  Of course not all have mushrooms that you can use in that way, but it you do, and it is a narrow lock with the central rubbing plate, it works well.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Isn't it the "Glory Hole" in Lincoln?

Yes it is.

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

Isn't it the "Glory Hole" in Lincoln?

Yes it is.

Best not to try and line up with the outer arch of this bridge as the inner ones are not in line with it!

Edited by Naughty Cal

Coming into a wide lock, I look down one side to try and get in right alongside one wall. Sometimes it even works and the boat doesn't mysteriously drift across the lock before I can get the centre line passed up to the missus.

With narrow locks, I've started looking down the centre of the roof to try and keep things lined up. In my experience, focusing on the walls you're trying not to hit all too often means you end up coming in at a funny angle and end up hitting the walls right at the entrance anyway.

7 minutes ago, magictime said:

Coming into a wide lock, I look down one side to try and get in right alongside one wall. Sometimes it even works and the boat doesn't mysteriously drift across the lock before I can get the centre line passed up to the missus.

With narrow locks, I've started looking down the centre of the roof to try and keep things lined up. In my experience, focusing on the walls you're trying not to hit all too often means you end up coming in at a funny angle and end up hitting the walls right at the entrance anyway.

That's what is happening I think... getting too close and coming in at an odd angle... 

?

12 hours ago, Dunworkin said:

Just a bit of advice from experienced boaters... is it generally regarded as best practice to judge the entry into a lock by standing to one side and looking down the length of the boat... or to stand centrally and judge from that position... I find that very hard as I clearly can't see both sides of the bow from a central stance, where at least I can judge one side by looking along the boat side...? Hope that makes sense... Any advice appreciated. 

As others have said a mixture of both and you will soon find which appeals to you more. Just be aware that if you look down the side, try to avoid taking the tiller with you at the same time, especially if you have short arms,  which would likely take the boat off line just when you don't want it to happen!?

Howard