Flange to connect air intake pipe to steel sheet cabin side

Featured Posts

I am looking to connect a flexible 4" diameter stainless flexi pipe from my burner air-intake to the steel cabin side but cannot find a simple solution. I'm not worried about the external cowl/rain-deflector side of things just a simple way of connecting said pipe to the cabin side.

I'm suffering brain-freeze, please help .

26 minutes ago, Clodi said:

I am looking to connect a flexible 4" diameter stainless flexi pipe from my burner air-intake to the steel cabin side but cannot find a simple solution. I'm not worried about the external cowl/rain-deflector side of things just a simple way of connecting said pipe to the cabin side.

I'm suffering brain-freeze, please help .

Do you mean to support the pipe along the cabin side, or to act as a 'hull fitting' and go thru' the cabin side ?

Being paranoid - well concerned in the early days of the BSS where 'they' made up the regulations as they went along, I fitted rectangular brass louvres vents in the front and rear doors of the boat. Good enough to deflect any RAIN.

Something similar might work for you - but I'm not enthusiastic about using one on the side of the boat where  water from a leaky lock could get in (hence the "rain" note).

A mushroom vent on the roof would be much better.

Does your burner intake need to be isolated for any reason?

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

to act as a 'hull fitting' and go thru' the cabin side ?

Yes that's basically it

4 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Does your burner intake need to be isolated for any reason?

Again yes the burner is 'room-sealed' air is drawn in from outside & exits up the flue.

I don't really want to have a pipe all the way up to a mushroom vent on the roof.

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Use an external cowl/ rain deflector that includes a spigot for the ducting e.g. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264278542609

Thats the kind of thing but I'd really like just a round 'vent' as I have some nice brass cowles kicking around that will keep the rain out ?

1 hour ago, Clodi said:

Thats the kind of thing but I'd really like just a round 'vent' as I have some nice brass cowles kicking around that will keep the rain out ?

A tumble dryer exhaust flange screwed on the inside of the cabin side with the cowl on the outside many be. But are you sure your brass cowle will stop any ingress of water from a leaky lock wall

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

A tumble dryer exhaust flange screwed on the inside of the cabin side with the cowl on the outside many be. But are you sure your brass cowle will stop any ingress of water from a leaky lock wall

I've been hunting around and that's the only suitable thing I could find.

So another vote for the tumble drier fitting.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Thank you for all the suggestions, I have ordered 4 different solutions & just remembered I actually have an old brass mushroom vent in my shed.

I'm not too worried about water ingress whilst in locks as I've never really had problems with water coming in open portholes & now I know to be wary of this situation occurring I'll carefully monitor the air intake vents.

On 01/05/2019 at 12:16, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes a bit overkill and sods law dictates that I would probably close it then forget to open it again and complain that the burner won't light ? BUT I'm sorely tempted to buy it just in case I ever need it.