My first windlass injury

rawsondsr

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

Rubbish windlasses, use a proper solid square one with a taper in the square.

These junk ones have no taper! both bits of tin have the same size hole.

Thats my view but I wonder if there will be an adverse effect on the infrastructure 

6 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I find it annoying when I get off with my single headed small or large windless and then find I need the other, worse is when you need both at the same lock as I do not like using a double headed windlass.

Get a Dunton Double. Single head. Fits small and large spindles.

8 hours ago, Athy said:

Almost on topic: last week the volockie at the bottom of the Napton Flight, the larger half of a husband-and-wife team who seem to know what they're doing, told me that the smaller aperture at the end of the windless should be used on narrow locks and the larger one on broad locks. I had never heard this before. Is it true?

Only if the broad lock has Ham Baker gear, as found on the Grand Union, or if the broad lock has hydraulic granny gear (which I'm sure must also be fitted to some narrow locks somewhere!)

5 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Only if the broad lock has Ham Baker gear, as found on the Grand Union, or if the broad lock has hydraulic granny gear (which I'm sure must also be fitted to some narrow locks somewhere!)

Like Napton where the Volockie was

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, haggis said:

It worries me when I see a windlass left on a wound up paddle and as well as standing well back I suggest that the windlass is removed and explain why. It is not just hirers who might be forgiven for doing it but I have noticed an increase in the number of presumably boat owners doing the it. It worries me especially if there are children nearby 

Haggis 

It would worry me if anyone was nearby, we all have the same capacity for injury.

8 hours ago, Iain_S said:

One odd lock on Tardebigge that always catches me out.

9 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

One odd lock on Tardebigge that always catches me out.

No 57. And one lock on the Lapworth flight.

16 hours ago, haggis said:

It worries me when I see a windlass left on a wound up paddle and as well as standing well back I suggest that the windlass is removed and explain why. It is not just hirers who might be forgiven for doing it but I have noticed an increase in the number of presumably boat owners doing the it. It worries me especially if there are children nearby 

Haggis 

I saw a CRT employee do this last week.

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

Get a Dunton Double. Single head. Fits small and large spindles.

My favourite of all our assortment, I nearly always use one if on a rare occasion I have to get off the boat and help the staff!!. Staff isnt what she used to be as I never for many years had to assist at locks. She can still do Somerton deep on her own but struggles a bit now.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

My favourite of all our assortment, I nearly always use one if on a rare occasion I have to get off the boat and help the staff!!. Staff isnt what she used to be as I never for many years had to assist at locks. She can still do Somerton deep on her own but struggles a bit now.

are you Timothy West's stunt double?

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

We are moored on the same canal :D

Where's he moored then?

We were moored outside the GF Club a couple of days ago and saw a bit of filming going on but saw no-one famous. Later on I saw John Craven walking under the canal museum bridge and the lady working there told me the filming involved TW and PS and also Trevor McDoughnut. 

Should I watch out in case TW is about.

"It's a contact sport"

"Oh no it fecking isn't"