Buying my first boat, survey revealed problems, Should i go ahead?

jazzdu

Featured Posts

Hi all,

So i am buying my first boat, a sea ambassador 285. Was listed as having no problems, paid a £1000 deposit to the broker to secure it for me and had a basic survey carried out to check things over. The survey was completed and a whole page of problems where shown to me. The boat broker has assured me an old boat like this will have some problems etc and seems to be down playing it, however some seems to be fairly severe problems. At the moment to broker is requesting a quote from a repair shop to see how much the repairs will cost and to see how low the seller will drop the price. I'll list the problems below, i would really appreciate it if anyone with experience in repairs/ boat maintenance could let me know just how bad these problems are and if i should either leave the sale or go ahead if they're fairly simple repairs.

port engine

oil seal leaking

plug cap split

excessing cranking of power steering hose

weeping cow horn

voltage gauge non op

fan belt loose

leak from camshaft or rocker box

corrosion to sump

shift cable needs adjusting

trim tabs wont power up

both engine seacocks stuck open

starboard engine

STBD engine very hard to start, cuts out and misfires

primer bulbs need to be removed both engines

possible carburettor needs cleaning

possible air leak in fuel system

batteries low on bank

accessories

bilge pump non op

heater non op

water tank faulty gauge

VHF won;t call up

faulty compass

faulty radio

toilet faulty/ not pumping water

gas pipe needs replacing

alround white light no op and top stern light non op

some cabin lights non op

So what's the verdict? sounds like a bit of a mess to me. 

Thanks in advance 

You need to cost repairs,  All I would say is that there are a hell of a lot of things that have obviously not had basic mantenance and kept repaired and useable.  The electric accesories all being duff could be a supply feed or not? The engine being a poor starter could be minor or major. I wouldnt touch this personaly with a barge pole, if the vendor cant be arsed to sell a craft in working order I would politely decline and deffo want ALL my deposit back. Its smacks of a very poorly looked after boat.

• Greenie 2