Wiring question for 12v distribution and victron

Poppin

Featured Posts

Currently, I have a run from my battieres to the 12v distribution inside the cabin, with thick cable. I also have a separate set of thick cables coming to the same area that go to the shoreline charger output. I have just removed the old pro charge ultra and I have a new victron multi inverter charger, is there any reason I shouldn't just supply both the victron and the 12v distribution from the same cables? If I use the existing cables that were used for the charger, I will ahve to remove them, enlarge the holes and insulate as they pass through the bulkhead, I would rather just have one set of cables for all.

As long as you do the voltdrop calculations and ensure the answer is less than about 0.3 volts then fine but you may well have fit larger cables from battery to distribution board. The domestic master switch may not like it if its a typical red key job and you wont be able t6o have battery charging with the master switch turned off..

Take the maximum domestic current plus the maximum Victron inverter current for the calculations.

Battery chargers usually need far thinner cables than inverter chargers possibly 10 or 20 time larger.

31 minutes ago, Poppin said:

Currently, I have a run from my battieres to the 12v distribution inside the cabin, with thick cable. I also have a separate set of thick cables coming to the same area that go to the shoreline charger output. I have just removed the old pro charge ultra and I have a new victron multi inverter charger, is there any reason I shouldn't just supply both the victron and the 12v distribution from the same cables? If I use the existing cables that were used for the charger, I will ahve to remove them, enlarge the holes and insulate as they pass through the bulkhead, I would rather just have one set of cables for all.

What cable size do you class as thick?

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

What cable size do you class as thick?

I bet whatever it is the answer is nowhere near thick enough for the inverter but so far we don't know the inverter's output data and that is vital info. Could be anything between 500VA to well over 3000 VA

Edited by Tony Brooks