Lister FR2 fuel injection pumps

bobl

Featured Posts

I am just finding my way round the FR2 The boat I have recently bought. The engine runs perfectly well, the fuel is gravity fed from a day tank. When I uncovered the CAV injection pumps I noticed that there appeared to be fuel leaking from one of them. It is not coming from the bleed screw which is tight but could be coming from the large slotted screw directly underneath it? I have turned the fuel supply off which has stopped the flow. Anybody got any ideas please

That screw locks the pump element in place, and should be locked itself by the lead plug at the side.

Initially, suspect the previous owner has been fiddling and tighten it up. If it keeps leaking I would be a bit suspicious of the element moving

Richard 

1 minute ago, Boater Sam said:

Not a new one then?

First one that came to hand. I did wipe the cobwebs off it

Fibre on these pumps, not that that signifies anything 

11 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And how do you put the screw back in, ensuring none of that rust gets into the precision engineering of the pump internals?

That would be the precision rusted solid parts in this particular case

Richard 

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Don't turn the engine over with it out. The screw certainly retains the pump element but not sure it wont move vertically if you operate the pump.

Is it not clamped down by the delivery valve seat?

Richard

5 hours ago, bobl said:

I am just finding my way round the FR2 The boat I have recently bought. The engine runs perfectly well, the fuel is gravity fed from a day tank. When I uncovered the CAV injection pumps I noticed that there appeared to be fuel leaking from one of them. It is not coming from the bleed screw which is tight but could be coming from the large slotted screw directly underneath it? I have turned the fuel supply off which has stopped the flow. Anybody got any ideas please

Fuel leaks under the rocker cover, or oil from the same place can run down the pipes and give the impression of leaking pumps. Anything leaking from the pumps will end up in one or other of the depressions at either end of the fuel pump bracket, which should give you an idea of how bad the leak is, if at all. It's a service task to clean out those, and I normally manage to get a few 10s of ml of a what looks like a mixture of diesel, oil, condensation and rust from mine.

MP.

ETA replacing t he copper washers under the bleed screws with dowty washers helped stop them leaking. The same may be possible with the pump-element locating screws.

Edited by MoominPapa

Nothing can move as long as the delivery valve holder is screwed down tight.............The locating screw hole is drilled thru to the fuel gallery,so a washer or gasket is needed.......Bosch pump parts are the same ,as CAV was copied from Bosch,and fortunately Bosch parts are still being made in India.

Again thank you the depression next to the LH pump which did not appear to be leaking was full of engine oil whereas the one next to the RH pump which appears to have the leak, was full of mainly diesel, I will work my way round all the unions tightening up and replace washers as necessary 

When the plunger and barrel are sufficiently worn,fuel can run out around the rack ........there is a tiny amount of back leakage ,even when the pump is new,but if there has been rusting or scoring of the pumping unit,the backleakage will be  noticeable ........I have always thought that pre war pumps and injectors had less backleakage than stuff made in the seventies.......in other words the early stuff was better made.

10 hours ago, john.k said:

I have always thought that pre war pumps and injectors had less backleakage than stuff made in the seventies.

Would that be the Vietnam war, then, or maybe the six-day war?

MP.

18 hours ago, john.k said:

Nothing can move as long as the delivery valve holder is screwed down tight.............The locating screw hole is drilled thru to the fuel gallery,so a washer or gasket is needed.......Bosch pump parts are the same ,as CAV was copied from Bosch,and fortunately Bosch parts are still being made in India.

Made in India by a whirling DERVish ?