Norbury to Kinver

Duncs

Featured Posts

Hi all, I am a first timer boater (if that’s the correct terminology), myself and a group of friends, 2 males and 3 females, mainly retired have booked a Narrowboat for the first week in June. We have hired from Norbury Wharf and our destination is Kinver. After spending a few hours trying to plan our trip, I have identified the following potential night time stops, Navigation Inn Gnosall, Wagon and Horses Wombourne, The Vine Kinver, Round Oak Wombourne, The Bridge Brewood and then last night at the Norbury Junction, don’t really want to travel on the last day as the boat has to be back for 09.30 am.

I would appreciate any feedback advice warnings etc, many thanks, Duncan and motley crew

If it’s a standard week hire it would be seven nights and six full days. You are one short in your list. As said above it’s a pretty relaxed schedule of 4 to 5 hours a day. On the Staffs & Worcs section the best pub is probably the Navigation at Greensforge lock. Compton is a good stop for provisions and fish and chips plus both an eating and a drinking pub although neither are any reason to stop in their own right. Are you looking for pubs to predominantly eat or to drink?

The Round Oak at Wombourne is a standard Marston’s pub, the Waggon & Horses doesn’t appeal so I’ve never stopped there.

At Kinver you will be best served walking in to the village where there are better pubs and restaurants than The Vine which based on recent reports isn’t necessarily a place you want to seek out.

Kinver is well worth a visit but it’s a bit of a walk up to Kinver Edge and the rock houses. You’ll need to go south of Kinver to Whittington winding hole to turn but also consider that the canal between there and Wolverley is very picturesque.

JP

2 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

Avoid the Vine in Kinver. Terrible food/service and a hygiene rating of 1. Plenty of other places in the village.

Last report I saw was that it had closed.  Possibly I now understand why.

6 hours ago, adam1uk said:

We moored at Kinver last month and it was still going then. Didn't visit it though, since we'd previously had a long stand awaiting service when it was practically empty - it gave us so much time to ponder on why it was so empty and reconsider... that we reconsidered!  Nice enough setting though; it ought to be a gold mine.

This reminds me of a visit to the Plough and Harrow in the village a couple of years back. We arrived when they were busy but weren't serving food - so the barman popped upstairs and rustled us up a pair of burgers!  Batham's bitter and the trademark lunchtime cobbs are both worth the walk.

Thanks guys, you have already given me some good tips, in particular avoiding the Vine  , just looked on trip advisor and not one good review !

I am struggling to find a mooring for our second night, Canal Plan has us around Autherley Stop, so any ideas for the Saturday night would be really welcome... over to you the experts .....

32 minutes ago, Duncs said:

Thanks guys, you have already given me some good tips, in particular avoiding the Vine  , just looked on trip advisor and not one good review !

I am struggling to find a mooring for our second night, Canal Plan has us around Autherley Stop, so any ideas for the Saturday night would be really welcome... over to you the experts .....

Compton. It’s about half an hour beyond Autherley and you will likely achieve a faster average cruising speed than the Canal Plan default of 2.5 mph and your first day and a bit has very few locks.

If you have six and a bit days how about you mix up the stopping points between out and back and aim for something like;-

Day 1 Norbury to Gnosall

Day 2 : Gnosall to Compton (fish and chips or pub)

Day 3 : Compton to Swindon (Green Man is a proper local pub with food)

Day 4 : Swindon to Whittington and back to Kinver Visitor Moorings

Day 5 : Kinver to Wombourne (Round Oak)

Day 6 : Wombourne to Brewood

Day 7 : Brewood to Norbury

Shortest day of 4 hours 17 mins. Day 2 and Day 6 are between 6 and 7 hours but that’s to clear Wolverhampton.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

11 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

Avoid the Vine in Kinver. Terrible food/service and a hygiene rating of 1. Plenty of other places in the village.

Food Hygiene ratings explained:

Ever wondered what the food hygiene ratings mean that you see in pubs, cafes and restuarants? Most people know that higher is better, but what might you typically find in a kitchen with each rating? Jen-in-Wellies explains.

5  Might just about be acceptable to your Mum.

4  Similar to your own kitchen. Mine on a good day.

3  The rats have been trained to wash their paws before entering a food preparation area

2  Rats in the kitchen have obvious bubonic plague symptoms.

1  Fewer rats than 2, but only because they have already died and the plague fleas are looking for customers to bite.

Jen ?

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

The fish & chips at Compton are yummy.?

And the servings are huge. We get two fish and one chips and we throw some of the chips away. 

10 hours ago, adam1uk said:

I cannot confirm its closed, but it (The Vine) has been shutting before 9 PM due to lack of customers.  As we tend to walk past around that time (to go to other places in the village) I am not sure if its open earlier or not. There is a sign on the pub saying the tenancy is for sale (or whatever the correct terminology is).

On 01/05/2019 at 13:43, ditchcrawler said:

Yes those reviews are shocking and rather as I expected. I have not being the the place for about 2 years based on past experience, though I have to say it was good about 5 years ago.

The local gossip is that the chain that own the pub demand such high rent that no sensible landlord would take it on, so that those that do are wannabees rather than competent in the trade. Its a great shame given the potential.

On 30/04/2019 at 09:38, Hudds Lad said:

purely on personal experience i'd say avoid the Navigation Inn at Gnosall at all costs and go to the Boat Inn instead, other opinions are of course available

Seconded was at the boat last night :) 

Rick

On 30/04/2019 at 18:38, Captain Pegg said:

Compton. It’s about half an hour beyond Autherley and you will likely achieve a faster average cruising speed than the Canal Plan default of 2.5 mph and your first day and a bit has very few locks.

If you have six and a bit days how about you mix up the stopping points between out and back and aim for something like;-

Day 1 Norbury to Gnosall

Day 5 : Kinver to Wombourne (Round Oak)

Shortest day of 4 hours 17 mins. Day 2 and Day 6 are between 6 and 7 hours but that’s to clear Wolverhampton.

JP

Thanks for all your advice and tips, I think I am going to bow down to your experiences and plan based on Capt Peggs suggestions.

Day 1 : Norbury to Gnosall

Day 5 : Kinver to Wombourne (Round Oak)

13 minutes ago, Duncs said:

Thanks for all your advice and tips, I think I am going to bow down to your experiences and plan based on Capt Peggs suggestions.

Day 1 : Norbury to Gnosall

Day 5 : Kinver to Wombourne (Round Oak)

If you wanted to shorten day 2 the obvious thing to do would be to extend the first part day to Wheaton Aston which is about 2 hours cruising from Norbury. 

JP

Edited because I confused myself.

Edited by Captain Pegg

I am concerned about getting the boat back for 09.30 am, don’t want to risk penalties so going to be a whimp and play safe, have a few beers at Norbury Junction. Many thanks for editing my route, could you recommend a pub and mooring in Compton for the Saturday night ?