Stupid places to take your boat ...

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

45 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Not seen that one before. Where, when, how?

This was on the unnavigable river Gipping in Ipswich. Mentioned in this thread

Not sure but I seem to remember they were trying to wind and did not see the weir under water. Then the tide went out.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, philjw said:

This was on the unnavigable river Gipping in Ipswich. Mentioned in this thread

Not sure but I seem to remember they were trying to wind and did not see the weir under water. Then the tide went out.

They didn't know the weir was there

On 29/04/2019 at 23:29, matty40s said:

Ive been as far up the Slough Arm as the weed and shopping bags would let me in 2010, I did not reach the basin having spent several hours doing 200 yards just getting past and then trying to reverse to a winding hole.

Ive been up to the very end at Hartford- well past the turning point for 70 footers! and stuck the nose under the bridge at Bishops Stortford, Bumblehole Arm on the BCN(and most of the normal bits). 

I will try and find some photographs on my old computah.

We got to the basin.  We, too, spent time down the weed hatch.

• 1 month later...

Another one for the list: Nearly at the weir beyond the limit of navigation on the River Avon in Warwickshire.

Grounded sadly, so no further was possible. We got as far as the confluence of the two streams, but were a hundred yards shy of the weir.

20190704_150336.jpg.233cb4d44998a801a5072868ff2c163a.jpg

The "safe limit of navigation"  was a long way behind us, and the "limit of navigation for shallow draughted craft" was a short way behind us!

A bloke in a kayak stopped to take photos because he had never seen a narrowboat daft enough to go up there!

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
11 hours ago, Jonkx said:

Nowhere near the same league as many of the great posts in this thread, but this is as far as you can get on the Anglesey Arm of the BCN, just below the feeder from Chacewater Reservoir. 

IMG-20210131-WA0021.jpg

Used to be able to get slightly further than that.  Before the wire went across.

I will lob this one in from 2003 on the Thames, just short of Hannington Bridge, four miles above the accepted head of navigation (Inglesham) and five miles below the legal head of navigation (Cricklade). I believe Parglena is the largest boat to get that far up the Thames in the last 100 years.

CNV00024-1.JPG

• Greenie 3

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

We got Fulbourne up to somewhere around there too. Can't remember exactly when - probably late 90s. Had to come back backwards most of the way until we found a side stream entry wide and deep enough to wind in.

200yards short of Hannington Bridge, there were a couple of bends I struggled to get round before I ran out of water on a shoal which is visible on maps

https://maps.app.goo.gl/iRpoUegmwH4ziiGE9

Bridge is visible to the left of the aerial mast.

CNV00026.JPG

Edited by Loddon

On 01/02/2021 at 13:38, David Mack said:

We got Fulbourne up to somewhere around there too. Can't remember exactly when - probably late 90s. Had to come back backwards most of the way until we found a side stream entry wide and deep enough to wind in.

Your memory is as bad as mine, it was August 1993!

119 Top End Of Thames Above Inglesham 7th August 1993_2.jpg

Where we turned

115 Top End Of Thames Above Inglesham 7th August 1993_2.jpg

Edited by Tim Lewis

On 05/07/2019 at 23:58, TheBiscuits said:

Another one for the list: Nearly at the weir beyond the limit of navigation on the River Avon in Warwickshire.

Grounded sadly, so no further was possible. We got as far as the confluence of the two streams, but were a hundred yards shy of the weir.

20190704_150336.jpg.233cb4d44998a801a5072868ff2c163a.jpg

The "safe limit of navigation"  was a long way behind us, and the "limit of navigation for shallow draughted craft" was a short way behind us!

A bloke in a kayak stopped to take photos because he had never seen a narrowboat daft enough to go up there!

Just seen this post I have been up there as well  when I first bought my narrowboat my mates cruised past the lock gates and eventually ran aground have missed the signs! Their was enough of us on board to push the bows off (yes they went over the bows into shallow water after we couldn't reverse off) eventually turned her around and got back to the lock.  In truth it was a hot day so everyone wanted in the water 

Probably the most 'challenging' place I've taken Rune was to the end of Reach Lode where the GOBA moorings are. Foolishly I thought 'There's moorings at the end, it'll be fine' we're supposed to get wiser as we get older, aren't we?:huh:

IMG_9447.JPG.dd4c4d42e91e5596b84a419ccf33000f.JPGIMG_9444.JPG.7461c72fe716a3da54bc6d648b7a11dc.JPG

As we passed under the bridge a group of walkers passed over it and asked,"How did you get there?" to which I replied, "I turned left onto a ditch and can't find the way out" I think they believed me;). It's only just over a mile, but at substantially less than 1 m.p.h. it took like forever to get to the end and back. When you get to the GOBA mooring, the sign says something like 'Mooring only with permission of Reach Parish Council'

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Probably the most 'challenging' place I've taken Rune was to the end of Reach Lode where the GOBA moorings are. Foolishly I thought 'There's moorings at the end, it'll be fine' we're supposed to get wiser as we get older, aren't we?:huh:

As we passed under the bridge a group of walkers passed over it and asked,"How did you get there?" to which I replied, "I turned left onto a ditch and can't find the way out" I think they believed me;). It's only just over a mile, but at substantially less than 1 m.p.h. it took like forever to get to the end and back. When you get to the GOBA mooring, the sign says something like 'Mooring only with permission of Reach Parish Council'

It's really quite fun in a strong crosswind.  It's  a nice mooring at the end, and Reach and the Devil's Dyke are well worth exploring.  I was fortunate to make a rather better speed on my last visit. 

https://scholargypsy.org.uk/2019/10/11/reach-lode-weedy/

spacer.png

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
  • Greenie 1

On 30/04/2019 at 10:43, bizzard said:

End of navigation, the Causeway bridge at B.Stortford. Folk hve damaged their boats trying to cruise straight on there, the bridge to some folk looks like it might be high enough, it isn't.  I asked Cart to stick a warning sign on it knowing that they like sticking signs on things, they did, so bloomin small you can't read it until its too late!  We've been through it in a dinghy into the park litter picking.

Had wondered if anyone had tried to go beyond that bridge. I don't think the water is deep enough for anything other than a dinghy.

I'm assuming you went under the bridge after they removed the dam/weir about 10-15 years ago?

39 minutes ago, Insane.Pringle said:

Had wondered if anyone had tried to go beyond that bridge. I don't think the water is deep enough for anything other than a dinghy.

I'm assuming you went under the bridge after they removed the dam/weir about 10-15 years ago?

I remember the weir was at the end of the River Lea

DSCF0573.JPG

On the Stort I just remember a bridge.

DSCF0580.JPG

Edited by Loddon