Stupid places to take your boat ...

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it's stupid, but did another odd one today.  Hatherton Arm of the Staffs & Worcs. 

IMG_20190517_164033.jpg.d2bca25ac8c57098cefccd3f4e0bd034.jpg

With hindsight I should have bribed the boatyard that use it as a dry dock to let me stick my nose against the top gates. 

It was dug out to a dry dock in 1964 apparently, after the canal was closed in 1958, but the pound above supplies water to a couple of reservoirs so is still wet!

Edited by TheBiscuits
  • Greenie 1

The 100ft in the Fens.

FB-IMG-1558160876504.jpg

FB-IMG-1558160891755.jpg

Very odd waterway. Reminded us of a very narrow Fossdyke but a tide ripping through.

We very much liked the Old River West as well. Perhaps not the most intrepid to you narrowboatists but I don't imagine too many Sealines have been down it!

FB-IMG-1558160913558.jpg

FB-IMG-1558160922945.jpg

FB-IMG-1558160937329.jpg

• Greenie 1

The Old River Witham.

Not that many go up here. There used to be a marina but that is now fishing ponds but it is still possible to get to the pub the Thyrwitt Arms when the weed boom isn't across the river entrance. 

FB-IMG-1558164075039.jpg

FB-IMG-1558164090503.jpg

FB-IMG-1558164098741.jpg

FB-IMG-1558164110301.jpg

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Silver Propeller Challenge location : Dudley Tunnel (South End)

We couldn't resist the photo on the way past this evening

IMG_20190519_212724.jpg.8955f9aab5734ddbb39c44a8cdf328f9.jpg

Did you have to stop to move that white metalwork thing out of the way or did you just knock it off with your cabin top? ;)

1 hour ago, StephenA said:

We made it to Holme, at the end of The New Dyke - was a bit narrow getting there but plenty of space at the end and a very quiet mooring.

Right next to thje East Coast Mainline and under the final approach to Conington airfield this is not quiet mooring.

9 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Right next to thje East Coast Mainline and under the final approach to Conington airfield this is not quiet mooring.

It was strangely quiet when we moored there - This was quite a few years ago so not sure if there were any night flights from Conington. As for trains - lived for years quite close to a major line carrying passenger trains and heavy freight and never found it to be really intrusive.

32 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

@Loddon how far did you get

Only to here
https://maps.app.goo.gl/k5n1xZjuvF7AYFZW6

A third of a mile or so short of Hannington Bridge.

But then I was only in Parglena not a NarrowBoat ;)

Neil managed to get to Hannington Bridge.

I doubt its possible now as there is so much less water.

Edited by Loddon

18 hours ago, StephenA said:

It was strangely quiet when we moored there - This was quite a few years ago so not sure if there were any night flights from Conington. As for trains - lived for years quite close to a major line carrying passenger trains and heavy freight and never found it to be really intrusive.

And here is Holme Fen. When this post was banged into the mud in 1850 the land was level with the top....  The rail line is floating on peat which seems to reduce the noise levels!

DSCF9155.JPG

Past the final turning point on the narrows into Llangollen in our three ft draught tug was our silliest venture - but we got through (and more importantly back). Scientific depth testing demonstrated here...IMG_0342.JPG.275573a3666351c48a0f9ea4474b974b.JPG

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's not getting there that's the problem usually, it's getting out again ...

That is what the Lock-keeper told us at St. Johns, when we suggested taking Jaguar to Inglesham.  "If the water level drops, you could be stuck".

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

I'm surprised no one has posted this photo as a "stupid place to take your boat."

caught%20on%20wier.jpg

Nice one Ray - I was rather feeling this "stupid places" thread was beginning to go off track... :D

You can't knock the steerer's skill in getting a narrowboat quite that far up onto that weir though, eh?

A slightly different way of looking at the theme,

how about taking a couple of friends over the Pontcysyllte aquaduct a tad hungover in full scruffy torn jeans and dirty shirt completely unaware it was some big anniversary with TV, press, even a small plane towing a banner, plus a fair few suits with fixed smiles

Like a rabbit in the headlights  :)