Stupid places to take your boat ...

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

No mention here yet of the Pocklington Canal up to Melbourne Wharf, a chance to get up close and personal with a lot of weed:huh:. The most challenging bit I found however was getting through Barmby Lock and Barrage onto the Derwent en route to the Pocklington. Fortunately I'd plotted it onto a Satnav since you don't really see the entrance until you are almost onto it so I was able to complete the 180 degree turn prior to getting to the lock. Everything was going splendidly; gentle ferry glide across the river to line up to enter the lock, just the right amount of revs as I lined up with the lock then the bloody barrage opened!! I've now got the River Ouse pushing me one way and the River Derwent pushing me another whilst I'm trying to steer into the lock. With a certain amount of skill and a whole lot more swearing, I managed to get in without hitting anything to be greeted by the Lockie who 'awarded' me 10 out of 10 for the effort. I asked him why he had opened the barrage to which he replied,"It wasn't me, it's all computer automated", thereby proving that to really cock things up you need a computer:angry:

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Nice lawn.  Is there any water around there?

The other photos show the water was quite clear either side. This section was pretty matted, with lots of branches etc,  but if it has been less windy I think half an hour with my grappling iron would have sorted it out.

There was a digger working in an adjacent field and we did wonder asking if we could "borrow" him for a couple of minutes. 

>>>>>>>>>>

And Dartford last year felt quite intrepid. I had thought they were going to add it to the Silver Propellor list, but not yet the case... 

We had a rota of skippers on duty around each high tide, to make sure the boats did come off the mud...

dsc_3442.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
  • Happy 1

6 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

I remember once, turning towards Ashted at the TyPhoo arm, being shouted at by a very new shiny boat owner about 40 yds up it and very stuck, right in the middle. I started to go in forwards and was told 'you need to reverse in to pull us out' . I continued forwards and fortunately had my 'river ropes' on as we had been on the Thames. I was able to get within 20 ft of him, and was able to pull him back without too much trouble.

He was grateful, as he had been there about 3 hours.  He didn't realise how lucky he was, as it can be several days before you see a boat on that stretch. I always go up Garrison and Ashted  rather than Aston as it brings back memories of my former life.

We've been pretty well everywhere on the B.C.N. as the backwaters are interesting, and there's never any queues. The rubbish and weed can be a bit offputting, but as long as you don't gun the engine, you don't make too much mud and offensive smells.

Done almost all the odd bits of the BCN, including Typhoo, Norton Canes, Engine Arm, Hawne Basin. Bottled it on the Titford a few years ago at the junction of the branches, where it all got a bit too soupy for comfort. Defeated on the Bradley Arm by copious amounts of weed, and warned off attempting the Ridgeacre!

8 hours ago, AndrewIC said:

Done almost all the odd bits of the BCN, including Typhoo, Norton Canes, Engine Arm, Hawne Basin. Bottled it on the Titford a few years ago at the junction of the branches, where it all got a bit too soupy for comfort. Defeated on the Bradley Arm by copious amounts of weed, and warned off attempting the Ridgeacre!

The stub of the Wednesbury Canal beyond Ryders Green (which is technically not the Ridgacre Branch) is probably now lost to navigation for ever due to reed growth - and doubtless associated silting - about half way along its length. All looks OK at the top end though.

60675A0F-5D2A-4B95-A3C6-4E6927A1C65B.jpeg

The BCNS made efforts to clean up Titford a couple of years ago and its no problem to transit right to the ends of both arms and through the main pool. Here’s a whole load of forum members enjoying the pools.

9C41B691-84F7-4096-A374-4C3854432246.jpeg

Is there anywhere more soupy than the Old Hill end of Gosty Hill Tunnel? It’s an emulsion of dirt.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

The stub of the Wednesbury Canal beyond Ryders Green (which is technically not the Ridgacre Branch) is probably now lost to navigation for ever due to reed growth - and doubtless associated silting - about half way along its length. All looks OK at the top end though.

60675A0F-5D2A-4B95-A3C6-4E6927A1C65B.jpeg

The BCNS made efforts to clean up Titford a couple of years ago and its no problem to transit right to the ends of both arms and through the main pool. Here’s a whole load of forum members enjoying the pools.

9C41B691-84F7-4096-A374-4C3854432246.jpeg

Is there anywhere more soupy than the Old Hill end of Gosty Hill Tunnel? It’s an emulsion of dirt.

JP

That dodgy bloke is on your bows again.

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

JP

Bumblehole. Although famously being able to float on a damp dishcloth, evan we struggled 

44 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Bumblehole. Although famously being able to float on a damp dishcloth, evan we struggled 

I didn’t really have any issues last week other than around the debris barrier which kind of compels you to head toward the open end and thus toward the bank. I think the barrier leads to sediment sinking and forming a bar across the canal at that point in any case, I still ran aground on the way out when trying to keep more central. Of course I don’t need much room to wind which is an advantage. I tootled along on my nice low tickover and it took about 20 minutes to get there and back.

The narrows adjacent to the tug lay-by at Gosty Hill is ‘orrible in terms of dirt and depth. It’s very shallow all the way through the bridges on the approach. Other than that it’s one of my favourite spots on the network.

As I’m sure you know getting round the BCN in any boat without a fuss is mostly about mindset.

JP

My late father has a certificate for stupidity from the Odd Boats Society for exploring Waterworks River via Prescott sluice in 1981.  Allegedly no-one had navigate for decades.   Timing was critical as there was around 30 minutes to balance air and water draft over the cill and under the guillotine against the tide.  I put it to him that if he failed to make it back in time, he need only wait the next tide if a soft patch could be found.  But it wasn't the delay that bothered him - it was a day's stoning.

We also crossed the Thames Estuary from the Medway - beaching it on the shingle at Southend for the day.   When we came to depart, the sea was less than calm and we had an unplanned retreat round the back of Canvey Island.

I went into Bumblehole in a little Brum Tug in the 80s without a thought and with no difficulty at all, but haven't been in since. It didn't even look navigable not long back, but we came past last month and it looked ok. I was in two minds about whether to go back and give it a go but if Vulpes was a squeeze I suspect it would have been a mistake!

27 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I went into Bumblehole in a little Brum Tug in the 80s without a thought and with no difficulty at all, but haven't been in since. It didn't even look navigable not long back, but we came past last month and it looked ok. I was in two minds about whether to go back and give it a go but if Vulpes was a squeeze I suspect it would have been a mistake!

Vulpes is built to sit as low in the water as possible and has a half decent sized prop. It’s not a craft entirely suited to shallow waters but I find if you proceed slow enough, observe the prop wash, let the boat swim and don’t force your way through you can feel your way along. I’ve also been lots of places on the BCN with an ex-GU motor and butty without much bother only to learn after the event that I’ve been through some apparently difficult if nigh on impossible situations.

One thing I did notice last week was that there has been a lot of offside vegetation clearance.

And to add, the worst I got stuck last week was below Wolverley Court lock when the front of the boat got blown across the channel while stopping to pick up the lock crew. Running aground on a little used arm is par for the course. I was off again after two minutes at Bumblehole. I don’t consider that a problem.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Strange. I took Reg up there a few years ago, right to the pool at the end, and Reg must draw 30" at the skeg! 

Only time I ever had to take the tiller pin out to get under a bridge. 

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

M5 culvert on the Droitwich. I was bimbling through after clearing my roof and dropping the cratch - just noticed the tiller pin in time!

29 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Strange. I took Reg up there a few years ago, right to the pool at the end, and Reg must draw 30" at the skeg! 

You must have been following Old Friends dredged channel.., over and hour each way and the only way of turning was with long shafts. The bridge took out my radio aerial on the front of the scratch board too(eventhough it was hinged to drop down)

17 hours ago, Quaffer said:

I'm attempting to do the Silver Propeller challenge and have managed to tick off 8 so far and will be visiting Bradley Workshops next week.

I was a bit disappointed to find that with the current restrictions of lock usage leading from the Wolverhampton Level ,the local CRT office had in their wisdom decided to close Parkhead Locks to navigation . I've never visited the southern portal of Dudley Tunnel and that would have been another tick.(Complaint registered with CRT)

Being only 40ft long I did manage to navigate through Brandon Lock and tie up at a very pleasant visitor mooring in splendid isolation.Shame the town is a lot less interesting.

Over the years I have visited 24 of the 38 locations,but having to start out from square 1 at the beginning of last year makes this Challenge tough going.

Stupid place...... Bumblehole , it's not even a Silver Propeller tick and I didn't take a photo.

I went to the Bradley Workshops in about 1993 on the Icicle Rally, the weather was actually quite warm. A great visit to the workshops, and good beer in the pub next door. Much of the BCN got done in those early 90s, but I’m not sure I could list the places I went. The boat was a 30’ brumtug, which made getting out of tight spots easy, but it had a raw water intercooler, so there were lots of stops to unblock the intake and filter. 

I've been to nearly all but the Basingstoke Canal on the list, on several boats over many years however. I'm quite disappointed that both the Foss and Driffield Navigation aren't on the list - both I've visited with Victoria so can be done in any narrowboat.

I've also done the first part of the Dudley tunnel, but because the gauge is too pessimistic at the museum end I ballasted down too much and ran across on the shallows on the start of the main bore. Next time I'll start from the south end.

Image may contain: plant, grass, sky and outdoor

Snakeholme Lock, Driffield Navigation

And the River Foss:
Image may contain: cloud, sky, outdoor and water

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and water

As far as we got on the River Foss.

Mike