Private moorings on ashby canal

Ralp c

Featured Posts

Welcome to CWDF, Ralp.

By "private" do you mean in a marina, or at the end of someone's garden or field? If the former, there are large marinas at Hinckley and Market Bosworth and a smaller one somewhere else - Stoke Golding, I think.

1 minute ago, Ralp c said:

Sorry I meant at someone's property/garden etc. The marinas seem to be expensive so looking to keep costs down if possible.

There's a long stretch of long-term offside moorings at Shackerstone, but I don't know who owns them.

54 minutes ago, Ralp c said:

Sorry I meant at someone's property/garden etc. The marinas seem to be expensive so looking to keep costs down if possible.

You will not get much saving by using someone's 'garden mooring' as they have to pay C&RT to be allowed to moor the boat on C&RT water.

(Even if they allow it, because their agreement with C&RT is that it is for their own use ONLY)

A Farmer may rent out a mooring.

The Farmer has to pay C&RT a "renting fee", (to allow boats to moor on C&RT waters) then he adds on his own costs & profit so there will not normally be much of a saving compared to a marina.

A marina will (normally) offer Electricity, water, toilets, boat toilet emptying facilities, shower, gas,  car parking etc. A farmers field may be just that - a field - you may have to park 1/2 a mile away in the 'yard' and carry everything down a 'muddy track' to your boat. The better the facilities at the 'Farm' the higher the price will be.

Boating is not a cheap way of living and is often actually more expensive than a house.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

There's a long stretch of long-term offside moorings at Shackerstone, but I don't know who owns them.

I seem to recall there’s a board with a mobile phone number on that stretch, but you can only see it from a boat. I guess a drive down and ask some of the residents might be in order.