Which one was the sweetheart?

Wainlode

Featured Posts

23 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Why the dislike for Hurth boxes ?

What's the issue/problem ?

Are they reliable but just clunky/noisey ?

Less reliable than they could be.  I suspect their reputation might be something to do with Hurth giving optimistic power handling specs and boat fitters opting for the cheapest  gearbox they think they can get away with. Hurth are now part of ZF the German company making all sorts of marine and automotive gearboxes. I do not hear much about unreliable ZF semi- auto and auto boxes in trucks. Its just the little Hurths in canal boats.

1 hour ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Heavy engagement unless tick over is very low.

Short life on larger engines with large props is common. Probably unfair as many marinisers use too small a box for the application.

Ridiculous spares prices, if they need both clutches its cheaper to buy a new box.

There are much better boxes for around the same cost from PRM

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Less reliable than they could be.  I suspect their reputation might be something to do with Hurth giving optimistic power handling specs and boat fitters opting for the cheapest  gearbox they think they can get away with. Hurth are now part of ZF the German company making all sorts of marine and automotive gearboxes. I do not hear much about unreliable ZF semi- auto and auto boxes in trucks. Its just the little Hurths in canal boats.

Car wise ZF boxes are pretty much the dogs do das especially the early ones say mid 80s to late ninety's the more modern ones less reliable but that is down to being sealed for life and also being 6-8 speed very complex and no servicing is a recipe for future problems

5 hours ago, NewCanalBoy said:

They tend to be a bit frail and not long lived but it depends on your budget. I had one once and it was fine but its the luck of the draw really.

Clarification. 

More torque than the gearbox is designed for.  Not physical size or weight.

For instance putting the smallest 50 Hurth on a 43 Beta or worse still on a thumper Lister or Gardner where the torque is massive especially when the box engages at low revs.

Or trying to drive a large prop, larger than the toys fitted to modern boats, usually 16"or 17" egg whisks.