Anyone been through Froghall Tunnel... looks tight!?

larrysanders

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, Athy said:

As I recall, the water sits lower in the tunnel so there is more air draught. If you just reduced the water level without dredging, boats would be more prone to grounding.

We fitted with loads of room to spare, I even left my titch on. We did however comment on a couple of boats moored in the basin that looked far too high to have squeezed through. A local boater said the length can be lowered by quite a lot through the lock paddles which would only make sense if it was reasonably deep in the tunnel.

AA18DDFF-6064-408F-81D9-F4B8023746FE.jpeg

19 hours ago, Athy said:

As I recall, the water sits lower in the tunnel so there is more air draught. If you just reduced the water level without dredging, boats would be more prone to grounding.

So it is not the dredging that does it but a change in water level somewhere. Presumably does not affect the lock the other side.

• 4 weeks later...

Just made our way through after years of being put off by the height gauges. Touched both rails simultaneous at one point. 5ft rail to rail and 5ft 4" draft at the bow. As other have said plenty of room in the centre, it's all about the tumblehome. Engine off and handed it through.