Airbnb boat?

Beki Turner

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

If she can't handle the usual grumpies on Canalworld forums, she probably wouldn't still be letting her own property out via AirBnB!

She handled them beautifully but that's not really the point. I could wax lyrical but it's far too late, and I'd hate to make more spelling mistakes for you to quote and fix :giggles:

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

but the OP states that she has been knocked back by the first few marinas she tried, which suggests to me that the marinas don't like the idea, even if you pay them more.

It suggest the ones she's asked don't like the idea - it could yet prove they all don't like it but then she hasn't asked them yet, or something else might come up as a better idea than a marina, or she might decide it's not worth it, but she's being proactive and will see it through to it's natural conclusion. 

I like to play devil's advocate and you have to know the flaws in your plan or it's not a plan it's a pipe dream, but it is incredibly hard work when you're looking to solve a problem and EVERYBODY just keeps telling you a bunch of stuff that THEY think you need, it's a tad patronising. 

18 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Most of the grumpies

I don't know if you've noticed ? but that's a fair proportion of the forum these days ?

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I need to be kept alert! :P

Well you could be a kept lert if you wanted (though I hear there's some stigma attached to that these days) but would you not rather be a wild and free lert?

:huh: Oh dear, it really must be past my bedtime. 

Night Night :tired:

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Well you could be a kept lert if you wanted (though I hear there's some stigma attached to that these days) but would you not rather be a wild and free lert?

Remember - Be Alert.

Your country needs as many Lerts as it can get!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

I think the 60/70 nights are probbly a bit low even if just letting for the 6/7 warmer months. Plus if she was letting per person per night like a B&B would rather than just by the night/week like a hire boat company would, then your cost PPPN goes up quite a bit, and you can add again for the novelty factor for being on a boat. So it kinda depends what the location going rate is and if there are any attractions that people would want to attend where a higher premium price could be charged. 

She is already running a successful AirB&B Business, come across as very competent, and has stated that this doesn't have to be profitable in the same way that a stand alone business would it just has to cover it's own costs and help a bit towards the boats running costs.  

I think she's probbly a bit sick of everybody questioning her judgment by now. She's been doing AirB&B at her own home for a while now so must be aware if some thing that she feel's is relevant. 

I dare say she is fed up because she asked a simple question and got a load of discussion,  but it's the way of the world.

How could I have been "security checked", I just booked online and then went to the Band B, next time I will book direct and save £20.

Why did she herself not just ring them all, she is going to have to do that anyway. It's a funny thing, but everyone who boats on a tight budget always thinks "I'll rent it out a few days" . it's not often it succeeds. I think if one had "a perfect location" and the right boat, it's possible it might work , too many iffs imho.

Edited by LadyG

7 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I don't know if you've noticed ? but that's a fair proportion of the forum these day?

Especially yesterday afternoon. I diagnosed too many lunchtime sessions in the pub.

31 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Especially yesterday afternoon. I diagnosed too many lunchtime sessions in the pub.

Thanks all. I have a lot of experience with grumpies as I've been married to a Class A one for more than 20 years. I know they are helping really. 

30 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

13 hours ago, David Mack said:

A couple of years ago someone applied for planning permission for a static boat rental on the towpath at Hebden Bridge. They had a letter of support from CRT and I think the permission was granted. But I don't think it has progressed any further.

Hi David - was this a residential mooring owned by CRT do you know? That sounds interesting although we would want to take the boat out ourselves so it wouldn't be totally static

Having read through this lot I am going to comment.  I would have thought about 80% of the adult population or more have seen and read about the problems AB&B "guests" have caused property owners and neighbours, sometimes running into thousands of pounds of damage. They will also have read of local authorities abroad banning AB&B lettings and guests turning up to non-existent properties. Now I ask myself, if I were a marina or mooring owner would it make commercial sense to allow such a mooring even if I were to receive extra payment. My answer would be to poke it away with a very long barge pole and hope the idea floats away. She just might have more luck if she did not use AB&B but I doubt it.

As for the notion that AB&B do meaningful security checks (or any other sort of checks apart from does the card payment clear) seems to be risible, much like any other online platform, profit comes first.

I hope the OP finds some where to progress the idea but fear she won't. I also doubt there is a snowball's chance in hell of her finding one of the extremely rare CaRT online true residential moorings at a price than makes commercial sense and even if she did it adds a whole lot more complications with filling with water, emptying the toilet, and keeping the batteries charged.

I go with the sponsor boat in an established hire fleet idea as being the easiest to sort out but fear the initial  costs maybe too high for the OP.

55 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Having read through this lot I am going to comment.  I would have thought about 80% of the adult population or more have seen and read about the problems AB&B "guests" have caused property owners and neighbours, sometimes running into thousands of pounds of damage. They will also have read of local authorities abroad banning AB&B lettings and guests turning up to non-existent properties. Now I ask myself, if I were a marina or mooring owner would it make commercial sense to allow such a mooring even if I were to receive extra payment. My answer would be to poke it away with a very long barge pole and hope the idea floats away. She just might have more luck if she did not use AB&B but I doubt it.

As for the notion that AB&B do meaningful security checks (or any other sort of checks apart from does the card payment clear) seems to be risible, much like any other online platform, profit comes first.

I hope the OP finds some where to progress the idea but fear she won't. I also doubt there is a snowball's chance in hell of her finding one of the extremely rare CaRT online true residential moorings at a price than makes commercial sense and even if she did it adds a whole lot more complications with filling with water, emptying the toilet, and keeping the batteries charged.

I go with the sponsor boat in an established hire fleet idea as being the easiest to sort out but fear the initial  costs maybe too high for the OP.

OK - Could I ask that unless you are going to be able to make a positive suggestion to my initial query - any thoughts on where I CAN obtain a mooring  - you refrain from answering or commenting please.

I am very aware of the potential pitfalls of Airbnb - I run one - I suspect that many of the people commenting have no experience of it other than what they read in the press and I'm sure we all know just how representative and accurate that can be. 

I would like to add that CRT are set up for the concept and seem supportive, possibly because they realise it is a great way of getting new people onto the canals. 

Thank you

2 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

16 hours ago, David Mack said:

A couple of years ago someone applied for planning permission for a static boat rental on the towpath at Hebden Bridge. They had a letter of support from CRT and I think the permission was granted. But I don't think it has progressed any further.

Hi David - was this a residential mooring owned by CRT do you know? That sounds interesting although we would want to take the boat out ourselves so it wouldn't be totally static

As another forum grumpy, I feel driven to join in... :D

Firstly, anyone with the land and resources to keep retired horses can't possibly be hard up for a bob or two, can they? Just buy a boat and use it!!

Secondly, another strand not yet mentioned by anyone. If the neighbours of any of my boats started AirBnB-ing their boat and had a continuous string of strangers loafing around and treating the place like a hotel I'd be straight into the marina office demanding to know what they were going to do about it, and if nothing I'd be taking my business elsewhere to a marina that doesn't allow Air BnB.

Just sayin', like, so you know what you're up against...

We are not hand-to-mouth, I just don't feel its fair to my horses to kill 'em off just because they are no longer rideable and are still enjoying life. We rent our land - it's not expensive.   I do just want to off-set some of the costs of a canal boat by letting it out when we can't use it. My experience with Airbnb has been overwhelmingly positive. I have not had a single person who didn't respect our space/posessions and my rules.

Don't you every find yourself moored up against some complete f*ckwits that own their boat/mooring but behave appallingly?

13 minutes ago, Beki Turner said:

OK - Could I ask that unless you are going to be able to make a positive suggestion to my initial query - any thoughts on where I CAN obtain a mooring  - you refrain from answering or commenting please.

That's not how forums work, any forum but especially this one. However you have had a very difficult run of it here and I do understand you frustration, People have been very unfair to you and not at all helpful. 

I wonder if Instant Street View in satellite and just follow along the canal of your choosing looking for anything that even remotely resembles a mooring and then just go out and drive round and talk to as many people as you can. Time consuming, I know but it may bring you the results that you want. 

https://www.instantstreetview.com

Edited by Tumshie

1 minute ago, Beki Turner said:

Thanks Tumshie - great idea. I have also contacted Beds on Boats to see if they can help.

Good luck Beki, I hope you'll remain a member and keep posting, there really are some very nice folks on here. 

:)

10 minutes ago, Beki Turner said:

I have not had a single person who didn't respect our space/posessions and my rules.

I suspect this might be because you are there, on site. My sis runs an AirBNB room and says the say as you. But once the AirBNB site is 'anonymous' i.e. there is no proprietor there I suspect guests will not feel so obliged to behave well. Most will probably still behave fine but if my boat gets broke into in a 'secure' marina, who is likely to be the main suspect?

14 minutes ago, Beki Turner said:

Don't you every find yourself moored up against some complete f*ckwits that own their boat/mooring but behave appallingly?

In a marina, no.  Out on the cut, occasionally yes. 

3 minutes ago, Beki Turner said:

Couldn't my horses just tow?

Blimey, you are good at opening cans of worms, aren't you :D

Try searching the forum for horse boating and see what you find. You'll rapidly be into a mire of stuff about unsuitable infrastructure, horse riders and (probably) cyclists

Richard

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Blimey, you are good at opening cans of worms, aren't you :D

Try searching the forum for horse boating and see what you find. You'll rapidly be into a mire of stuff about unsuitable infrastructure, horse riders and (probably) cyclists

Richard

Yey - Less Railings - More Horses :giggles:

15 minutes ago, Beki Turner said:

Blimey and I thought a widebeam was a step too far.

Couldn't my horses just tow? Badger (below) would be great but Joker probably too posh to pull

Unfortunately CaRT would require you to get special permission unless the towpath was a recognised bridal way and very few if any are. Having got that permission you will then have the problem of getting the tow rope over/past canal side vegetation (read trees), other moored boats and their aerials and what they carry on their roof. I suppose now you will send another somewhat discourteous reply.

In respect of your post number 59. I was simply trying to give you a view on the reasons you are having difficulty in trying get a marina to accept an AB&B boat, nothing more and nothing less. That is so you can see there may be another side to their refusals. Like Mike said, if a boat close to me in a marina hosted an all night rowdy party of AB&B "guests" I would be having strong words with the manager and I have no doubt your mooring contract would be terminated immediately. It seems to me your idea shifts all the repercussions, apart from damage to your own boat, of a letting that goes wrong from you to the marina operator so they don't want the risk at any price.

Edited to add:- Who is it that will have to face angry customers who have been ripped off by a clone AB&B site and turn up to find the boat unoccupied, you or the marina staff/ other berth holders? Who needs that kind of problem?

Edited by Tony Brooks

42 minutes ago, Beki Turner said:

I would like to add that CRT are set up for the concept and seem supportive, possibly because they realise it is a great way of getting new people onto the canals. 

My interpretation of this is rather different. I'd say CRT are fighting a rearguard action to stamp out under the radar boat hiring, especially in places where housing is expensive. There are undoubtedly boats for rent as accommodation either informally or through more formal routes. A lot have been set up without the correct licenses, BSS checks or insurance

CRT seem to be saying 'look, here's the process, comply or we will shut you down'. My suspicion is, if you try and follow the process you'll find yourself jumping through the same hoops we did years ago when we investigated using our ex-hire boat as a hire boat. Basically, it's nigh on impossible without a boat yard. And if you don't follow the process you'll be served with a section 8 or similar

Maybe your conversations with CRT have revealed a change in attitude

Richard

Edited by RLWP
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Don't be a grump Richard. Only tell the OP what she wants to hear and don't let anything get in the way of that. No comments or opposing views allowed by order of the OP. From another apparent grump.

I can't say I'm feeling particularly grumpy, Tony, or feeling happy that the OP is finding this hard. I'm just remembering how this sort of thread has gone in the past, including the poster who got a 'phone call from CRT after posing a similar question about using their boat for hire

Richard

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Don't be a grump Richard. Only tell the OP what she wants to hear and don't let anything get in the way of that. No comments or opposing views allowed by order of the OP. From another apparent grump.

Trouble is its like the millions we get every year who want to " Live the dream :rolleyes: " They want a cheap or freedom lifestyle and ask the usual questions. When it very quickly becomes apparent that reality is far from what their dream is we often get accused of being negative when realy we are often being realistic. Letting out a boat is so far removed from letting out property as to be on a different planet. I have met quite a few people over the years who have done it both within and outside the law and generaly it all ends up in tears. There are several reasons why narrowboats as a for instance appear expensive to hire for a holiday. Personaly when I go away for a break I would rather be in a premier inn or somett rather than a static sewer tube. I stopped earlier this month in a new Premier Inn in a city centre for 29 pounds on a saturday night. Many valid points have been made to the OP from many " grumpy " forum members. As for you Tumshie :P :D

1 hour ago, Beki Turner said:

Err? 

No you can't. This is a public discussion forum and anyone can join in with any views. 

As to your proposal:

How are you going to let renters have the key to the doors of the boat?

How are you going to check the water tanks for each renter?

How are you going to check the gas bottles?

How are you going to check the toilet tank?

What type of toilet will you fit?

What arrangements will you make to empty said toilet?

How often will you check the boat?

How will you charge the batteries?

How will you deal with emergency call outs?What

Who will clean the  boat after each rental?

What provision will you make for parking?

and I could find another hundred questions!

Edited by Graham Davis