Airbnb boat?

Beki Turner

Featured Posts

On 29/04/2019 at 09:18, Beki Turner said:

OK - Could I ask that unless you are going to be able to make a positive suggestion to my initial query - any thoughts on where I CAN obtain a mooring  - you refrain from answering or commenting please.

You can ask.

?

• Greenie 1

On 29/04/2019 at 09:28, Beki Turner said:

We are not hand-to-mouth, I just don't feel its fair to my horses to kill 'em off just because they are no longer rideable and are still enjoying life. We rent our land - it's not expensive.   I do just want to off-set some of the costs of a canal boat by letting it out when we can't use it. My experience with Airbnb has been overwhelmingly positive. I have not had a single person who didn't respect our space/posessions and my rules.

Don't you every find yourself moored up against some complete f*ckwits that own their boat/mooring but behave appallingly?

I don't think you have quite grasped what posters here have been trying to tell you, that a boat is VERY different from static bricks & mortar.

Yes we have been moored near onanists on the odd occasion but we have the option of moving.

On 29/04/2019 at 09:49, RLWP said:

Blimey, you are good at opening cans of worms, aren't you :D

Try searching the forum for horse boating and see what you find. You'll rapidly be into a mire of stuff about unsuitable infrastructure, horse riders and (probably) cyclists

Richard

And fatarses oops, widebeams.

34 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I doubt it, the CRT terms and conditions on my EoG mooring specifically prohibit staying on the boat overnight whilst it is at its mooring.

Surely one of the advantages of a EOG mooring is the additional bedroom or two available for when you have family or friends to stay.

Well I think the idea sounds great!

Must admit I would go with a different agency than AB&B. Lots of boats on the broads offer static holidays and seem to succeed. I wonder if it would be worth speaking to one of the hire boat companies to see if they would allow your boat as a "static" on their moorings, they would do the bookings and would even be on hand to sort problems.

I used to allow friends to borrow my boat (always told the Marina) and it was fine until one friend reversed the boat into a concrete canal wall and bent the rudder (£400 to fix and the "friend" denied any knowledge).

46 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

But who would know unless it upset the neighbours or a nuisance as caused. I doubt CaRT come round at night to check.

As you say, no one unless the guests caused some kind of a nuisance, however the OP said she wanted to do everything legitimately.

On 29/04/2019 at 07:06, Beki Turner said:

Hi David - was this a residential mooring owned by CRT do you know? That sounds interesting although we would want to take the boat out ourselves so it wouldn't be totally static

It was on the towpath. Details are at https://portal.calderdale.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=NPH53BDW0D600

From a quick look at the correpondence it seems it was all sorted out first between the applicant and the local CRT Business Manager, and then the planning application was submitted.  You might be well advised to discuss your proposal with CRT first.

12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

You might be well advised to discuss your proposal with CRT first.

You must discuss your proposal with CRT first.  If they don't like your plan, they won't issue an appropriate licence.

That said, the business boating team at CRT seem very good to me.  Professional service, but speed of responses depends on how many other applications they are dealing with.  They say at least 6 weeks, but mine came through in a fortnight ...

• 5 months later...
On 28/04/2019 at 05:04, Slim said:

I can't think of anything less appealing than staying on someone else's narrowboat in an average marina with little to look out at other than the windows of other narrowboats.

Just saying. :angry:

Frank

As someone from Hawaii NEVER underestimate what tourists will buy, rent, lease. It sounds crazy till you see the bank account. I used to airbnb my yard for camping for 60 a nite. 

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 16:13, Beki Turner said:

Hi all and thanks for the responses. I have done considerable research and I am aware of safety/license/insurance issues. We don't want the visitors to move the boat but simply use it as an alternative to B&B or a hotel. It sounds mad to want to stay on a boat in a marina; but some of them are very attractive and in places where people want to stay for work or leisure. A really attractive canal boat in a nice marina would do very well I'm sure. We are really keen to own our own boat too and not a share. I have seen some narrow boats advertised on Airbnb but most seem to be constantly on the move (and possibly doing it under the radar) I want to do it all above board. I just wondered if anyone knew how a suitable mooring could be achieved. I have approached 3 marinas near to me and in an ideal spot for Airbnb but had a resounding 'no' (and I am happy that I will be charged extra for a 'commercial' mooring) Any suggestions gratefully received. 

If you are aware of the issues involved such as licence and insurance etc, I would have thought the next step is to draw up a business plan and put it to either CRT or EA (depending on which waterway you hope t be on, together with ant appropriate marina/mooring operator. You will then know exactly what you have to comply with to be above board as you say that is what you want to achieve.

Howard

On 28/04/2019 at 23:19, Graham Davis said:

Err? 

No you can't. This is a public discussion forum and anyone can join in with any views. 

As to your proposal:

How are you going to let renters have the key to the doors of the boat?

How are you going to check the water tanks for each renter?

How are you going to check the gas bottles?

How are you going to check the toilet tank?

What type of toilet will you fit?

What arrangements will you make to empty said toilet?

How often will you check the boat?

How will you charge the batteries?

How will you deal with emergency call outs?What

Who will clean the  boat after each rental?

What provision will you make for parking?

and I could find another hundred questions!

Im really surprised there is not an entire cottage industry providing those services. As someone who lives in a tourist mecca i can tell you if they arent now their will be soon. 100%snowbird marinas. Marina should do all that and take a 30% cut just like regular short term property management. 

1 minute ago, cksantos85 said:

Im really surprised there is not an entire cottage industry providing those services. As someone who lives in a tourist mecca i can tell you if they arent now their will be soon. 100%snowbird marinas. Marina should do all that and take a 30% cut just like regular short term property management. 

There isn't because there isn't the demand.
And I cannot see "snowbird" marinas in the UK. Why would they want to stay in the damp and cold of the UK when they can easily get off to sunny Southern Europe?

5 minutes ago, cksantos85 said:

This is probably the main problem, in tourist meccas such as the Lake District then yes you will find people who will do some of these things.   You won't find anybody who deals with changing gas cylinders or pumping boats out.  However the Lake District is a fairly compact area and with the mountains properties are reasonable distances apart.  I don't see much of the canal system drawing the numbers the Lake District does and the boats to service are likely to be much further apart.

To try to illustrate what I mean one letting agent alone has 591 properties in Keswick or very close to, how many are likely to be in a 10 mile radius on a canal I wonder.