Liverpool Boats/handrails/age

AJR

Featured Posts

Hi all, seen a Liverpool Boats 58' cruiser stern on-line. Quite interested but it's a long journey to view. Described in ad & by broker as 2006 build, has tubular handrails rather than integral, gutter-type ones fashioned from the cabin sides. I've browsed a lot of boats now & associate these kind of rails with much older boats. Also seen older LB cruisers with the more modern form of handrail. Am I being unnecessarily suspicious?

thanks

Alan

9 minutes ago, AJR said:

Hi all, seen a Liverpool Boats 58' cruiser stern on-line. Quite interested but it's a long journey to view. Described in ad & by broker as 2006 build, has tubular handrails rather than integral, gutter-type ones fashioned from the cabin sides. I've browsed a lot of boats now & associate these kind of rails with much older boats. Also seen older LB cruisers with the more modern form of handrail. Am I being unnecessarily suspicious?

thanks

Alan

no.  I bought a shell from Scouseboats in 2005 and it had integral rectangular handrails.  

Edited by Murflynn

11 hours ago, AJR said:

thanks

Alan

Yes, they let you have ether or back then, my boat has both.

I rather think that, on Liverpool boats as on many others, tubular handrails are more common on cruiser-stern models and cants are in a majority on trad-stern craft. Someone will now step up and prove me utterly wrong.

44 minutes ago, Athy said:

I rather think that, on Liverpool boats as on many others, tubular handrails are more common on cruiser-stern models and cants are in a majority on trad-stern craft. Someone will now step up and prove me utterly wrong.

Tubular handrails seem to be more common on older boats,(built in the 70s and 80s.) I prefer them as you can get your  hand around them and get a really secure grip.

4 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Tubular handrails seem to be more common on older boats,(built in the 70s and 80s.) I prefer them as you can get your  hand around them and get a really secure grip.

Plus they are good to tie a centre rope to.

52 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Plus they good for allowing all the roof muck to wash down the side of the cabin.

Yes,but you don't get rusty puddles on your roof.

The muck can easily be removed with a bucket of canal water and a brush.

1 minute ago, Mad Harold said:

Yes ok,perhaps I've spelt it wrongly.

Gunnelling? (walking along the narrow strip on the side.)

Just checked my Thesaurus and can't find "gunwaling"

Does this word exist?

Any english teachers online?

27 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Yes,but you don't get rusty puddles on your roof.

The muck can easily be removed with a bucket of canal water and a brush.

How on earth do you get rusty puddles on the roof ? The roof is convex and normally would slope dowm towards the stern. 

8 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

How on earth do you get rusty puddles on the roof ? The roof is convex and normally would slope dowm towards the stern. 

Not often on a boat that is cruised or washed quite often,but I have seen plenty of "marina queens"with drainage gaps blocked with leaves and muck.

2 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

I agree with the 'grip' aspect - and very important - and wouldn't be without it.

I have an old boat of late 70's and it has a tubular handrails (square section) welded to the roof a foot in from the edge, giving nice balance for walking along the gunnel. Useful to tying things to anywhere along the length (fenders for mooring etc)

Our friend's boat had a gutter type channel - that only allowed 'finger tight' grip - not much use for weak hands.

40 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

On a traditionally shaped narrow boat the rear of the cabin has an upward sweeping curve viewed longitudinally hence puddles can form behind solid handrails.

JP

3 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

On a traditionally shaped narrow boat the rear of the cabin has an upward sweeping curve viewed longitudinally hence puddles can form behind solid handrails.

JP

In this case there should be a drain where the up sweep starts.  It would be a very poorly designed boat if it didn't.

Just now, Flyboy said:

In this case there should be a drain where the up sweep starts.  It would be a very poorly designed boat if it didn't.

There will be, but they can get blocked by debris and the exact lowest point changes with the trim of the boat in any case.

JP

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No - Gunwhale is correct, (Sometimes called Gunnel) 

Image result for whale harpoon gun

Don't you mean "whale gun" (as in your illustration, as opposed to "gunwale" on the sides of a boat?