cold water system layout

Featured Posts

On 27/04/2019 at 00:19, Sassy Lass said:

ok think I know whats happening...its the TMV.  Sigmar Marine, Vetus and Webasto suggest what I was proposing (note past tense !) is okay iff no TMV. (see vetus setup 7 vs 9). But that makes me more confused about SureCal (which is what Ive got), their advice is to tee off for shower before calorifier ?? ?

sigmar.jpg

vetus.jpg

surecal.png

Good grief!! What kind of boat is this system for? V8 cross flow engine - they'll not have problems on rivers.

• Haha 1

On 30/04/2019 at 08:26, DaveR said:

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/product/ws-001.aspx

further up the line towards the tank.

Dave

Anyone know if larger bore versions of this are available. I bought one and its quite restrictive given that the boat is piped with 22mm. Having to add reducers just to fit the strainer not to my liking.

Just fitted new brushes to my Italian pump. The makers were astounded that it was still going strong as from the serial number it's 23 years old. Nice and compact and fits under the front step

On 29/04/2019 at 17:43, Sassy Lass said:

Have you had any problems with 1/2" BSP female hose to male plastic Jabsco pump port insert connection ? - When Ive looked at my mine it looked like a likely point of weakness. So much effort on these things and then it all hinges on a 2p piece of plastic !!.

Jabsco fittings are very weird as normal tap connectors don' fit them properly. They almost look like they can take an olive (on plastic? ?) however 15mm pipes don't fit in them What sort of fittings work? 

On 27/04/2019 at 11:31, ditchcrawler said:

If you dont plan to live on the boat in the winter make sure you can fully drain the mixer valve of the shower for frost protection.

This is very important.

The non return valves in the inlets of the Grohe mixer ( and most others ) prevent you full draining the cold side unless you loosen the connection. I drain the hose and valve, crack the cold connection and leave the valve set to fully cold with the hose in the tray.

The same applies to any thermostat valve, even the ones on the Surecal calorifiers. I have one on the main hot feed set to 65 degrees and another for the washer to feed it 40 degree water and I empty them all every winter.

Done this for 20 years and they have never been frost damaged.

I have seen dozens of cheap bar thermostat mixers with plastic bits inside that have been frost wrecked, at least the Grohe is all brass but ice pressure will wreck even these.