Two pack epoxy as a roof paint

Arf

Featured Posts

Hello everyone. Hopefully an easy question to answer. 

I've got to repaint my roof this year as rust has broken through in a number of areas. Given the success we've had with the use of two pack epoxy on the hull, is there any reason not to use an appropriately coloured 2 pack epoxy primer on areas of the roof? We'd then paint over this raddle red / epifanes multiforte or similar. 

There are a number of areas on the roof where water can collect temporarily, and I was hoping this might resist immersion for short periods. 

I did my front and back decks just like this, back to bare metal, surface tolerant epoxy primer, gentle sand to take off the shine, couple of coats of raddle, then (unconventionally) a coat of red oxide primer which is less slippy than raddle. So far it has lasted very very well.  Epoxy is just superb at coping with standing water.

Its hard to get a good smooth finish hand brushing epoxy, I am happy with a bit of "texture" but you might not want it on the roof. If you do chip it (by dropping something very heavy on it) then because the paint is thicker the repair is a bit more complicated if you don't want an obvious dent.

.............Dave

• Greenie 1

That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm planning on doing much the same with the gas locker as the vents can let a bit of water in with a full water tank. 

Think I can live with a finish that isn't 100% smooth as the matt topcoat should hide the worst - its there to be walked over and have stuff put on it anyway. 

11 minutes ago, Arf said:

That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm planning on doing much the same with the gas locker as the vents can let a bit of water in with a full water tank. 

Think I can live with a finish that isn't 100% smooth as the matt topcoat should hide the worst - its there to be walked over and have stuff put on it anyway. 

I also did the gas locker and side lockers, but just used several coats of epoxy primer, they do not see much daylight so I felt no need to put a top coat on. Taking a gas locker floor back to bare metal is not a nice job so I paid a fellow boater to do that for me :),

.................Dave

Its a very good way to protect the steel. The only snag will be the finish but it sounds like you are not too worried with that. Usually using typical alkyd air cured paints, you would put multiple coats on ....of which a number are undercoat. The undercoat is easily sanded so that you can get a perfect finsh when applying the top coat.

Any brush marks in the epoxy will be a pig to sand out but then it looks like you are not bothered about that. 

I would defo do it that way in the gas locker.

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I would defo do it that way in the gas locker.

I did my gas locker floor with Vactan and a coat of the shiny Rylards Premium blacking a couple of years ago. It was really easy work, came up really well and looks as good now as the day I did it. The bottles sit on dri-dek tile to prevent damage and keep the locker free draining.

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Wooden slats work just as well (provided they point in the right direction!).

They're certainly a lot cheaper too! However, Dri-dek do have the advantage of not trapping any damp as you'd could get under wood, and mine came with the boat so cost wasn't involved, but if your locker floor remains dry (as mine does) I'd agree.