Further to my post..."Toilets..for Gods sake help"

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

As a liveaboard of thirty years then I will explain. With a dump through tank the seals are crucial and invariably perished. The tank then whatever you do blue/green/bio whatever will stink, it really is that simple.

Ah, but not all pump out toilets are dump throughs! We had a dump through on our shared boat and I found that the only time it smelled was when we were needing a pump out. On kelpie we have a loo which is not a dump through (no idea what make it is) and it has never smelt and the tank only needs pumped out after 6 weeks use. You don't often get iced in for that long :-)_

haggis

2 minutes ago, haggis said:

Ah, but not all pump out toilets are dump throughs! We had a dump through on our shared boat and I found that the only time it smelled was when we were needing a pump out. On kelpie we have a loo which is not a dump through (no idea what make it is) and it has never smelt and the tank only needs pumped out after 6 weeks use. You don't often get iced in for that long :-)_

haggis

Correct. My present boat has a posh macerater bog with absolutely zero smell. A cassette however makes much more sense for ease of emptying in loadsa places, cost,  and zero hassle. Yes probably a pumpout bog is fine for hobbyiests but 24/7 365 nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

Doesn't have to be an electric macerator, look at a Johnsons manual,,,https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Johnson-Marine-Sea-Toilet-Manual-Compact-Standard-Bowl/362102792138?epid=2247638958&hash=item544f021fca:g:BM0AAOSw-3FZKX-N

£138.58, cheaper than chips. 

Fine Boater Sam... But it needs fresh water from the canal via a sea cock ?... No ?

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Correct. My present boat has a posh macerater bog with absolutely zero smell. A cassette however makes much more sense for ease of emptying in loadsa places, cost,  and zero hassle. Yes probably a pumpout bog is fine for hobbyiests but 24/7 365 nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I think we will have to agree to differ. Even if I am just a hobbyiest boater, I know what I would rather spend my time doing and it is not trotting off to the elsan to empty a cassette.  We go boating to boat! We don't even need to spend boating time having a pump out as halsall comes into the marina and does it when we are not there. 

Haggis

Edited by haggis

6 minutes ago, haggis said:

I think we will have to agree to differ. Even if I am just a hobbyiest boater, I know what I would rather spend my time doing and it is not trotting off to the elsan to empty a cassette.  We go boating to boat! We don't even need to spend boating time having a pump out as halsall comes into the marina and does it when we are not there. 

Haggis

Bloomin part timers!! it takes me approx 90 seconds to empty a cassette in  total and they always work and no stink. As for spending time in one marina :o never mind, you will escape and do the other 2000 miles or so one day!! I am hoping beyond hope that I never have to move in to the poxy detached house my old mum wants me to move in to!!!!!!! that is mine if I want it. Looking on the bright side she is still living independantly at 98 so as I am just a boy hopefully that will not happen anytime soon :D

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Bloomin part timers!! it takes me approx 90 seconds to empty a cassette in  total and they always work and no stink. As for spending time in one marina :o never mind, you will escape and do the other 2000 miles or so one day!! I am hoping beyond hope that I never have to move in to the poxy detached house my old mum wants me to move in to!!!!!!! that is mine if I want it. Looking on the bright side she is still living independantly at 98 so as I am just a boy hopefully that will not happen anytime soon :D

You must walk very quickly if you can extract the cassette, walk to the elsan, empty the cassette and rinse it and rinse the elsan receptacle, walk back to the boat and replace the cassette all in 90 seconds!! Do you have wings? 

There is not much of the 2000 miles of English/Welsh canals and navigable rivers we haven't done and that may just be because we don't have to waste boating time emptying cassettes :-). I hope your Mum continues for many years to live independently . Iain's Mum just made her 98th birthday a couple of days before she died last October and she too still lived in her own house . A wonderful age to reach!. 

haggis

• Greenie 1

Just now, haggis said:

You must walk very quickly if you can extract the cassette, walk to the elsan, empty the cassette and rinse it and rinse the elsan receptacle, walk back to the boat and replace the cassette all in 90 seconds!! Do you have wings? 

There is not much of the 2000 miles of English/Welsh canals and navigable rivers we haven't done and that may just be because we don't have to waste boating time emptying cassettes :-). I hope your Mum continues for many years to live independently . Iain's Mum just made her 98th birthday a couple of days before she died last October and she too still lived in her own house . A wonderful age to reach!. 

haggis

? Yes its great the old girl is still kicking and I do appreceate having a mum at my  age. Sorry Ians mum didnt make it any further, I bet she was like my mum and bloomin interesting to listen to even though she probably didnt realise it? Honestly it only takes 90 seconds to do the cassette. Ya dont have to walk a mile down the towpath ya know, we just moor usualy on the water/elsan point and take it out and empty it. Deffo emptied quicker and gone before a pump out tank hose is unravelled, attached and switched on.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

? Yes its great the old girl is still kicking and I do appreceate having a mum at my  age. Sorry Ians mum didnt make it any further, I bet she was like my mum and bloomin interesting to listen to even though she probably didnt realise it? Honestly it only takes 90 seconds to do the cassette. Ya dont have to walk a mile down the towpath ya know, we just moor usualy on the water/elsan point and take it out and empty it. Deffo emptied quicker and gone before a pump out tank hose is unravelled, attached and switched on.

yes, she was very interesting to talk to, She spent most of her life being involved in the history and culture of Scotland and her proudest moment was when the Queen presented her with an MBE. She was an amazing lady. 

If we ever meet, I will have my stopwatch in hand ? 

haggis

• Happy 2

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Nope. you simply take it on a trolley to an elsan, or boot of car to an elsan and dispose of properly. It really is that simple. Of my 8 liveaboard boats I have found that a simple fact. But another simple fact is ya cant carry 25 tons of boat to the frozen pumpout machine. 

I was taking the mickey re composting Tim. ;)

That said, the only time we've been frozen in and had to remain aboard we were nowhere near an Elsan point and without a car since we were out cruising.  We had no issue with almost 2 weeks using a pump out (although I grant we could have had we been in the practice of running it closer to full, which I'd suggest would be a rookie error in winter) but I think I would have been in trouble with a cassette arrangement in those circumstances.  

Advantages and disadvantages to both, I think, and it really comes down to personal preference... or whatever arrangement happens to be in the boat that finds you.

• Greenie 2

12 hours ago, Loddon said:

Wait until you get iced in and cant move the boat and the tank is full, then you will understand.

Or simply pump out the tank when the freezing weather is forecast but before it arrives.

In 27 years of having pump out toilets this strategy gas yet to fail me.

(Although it might have had I been old enough to boat during the winter of 1962-63 ?)

14 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Or simply pump out the tank when the freezing weather is forecast but before it arrives.

In 27 years of having pump out toilets this strategy gas yet to fail me.

(Although it might have had I been old enough to boat during the winter of 1962-63 ?)

1997 we were stuck at lock 14 on the Aylesbury arm for 5 weeks due to ice, it froze on Boxing day as we left Aylesbury trying to get to Marsworth, thawed first week in February, that would be pushing it for many tanks. Ice was  8" thick IIRC temperature didnt go above freezing that January.

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I was taking the mickey re composting Tim. ;)

That said, the only time we've been frozen in and had to remain aboard we were nowhere near an Elsan point and without a car since we were out cruising.  We had no issue with almost 2 weeks using a pump out (although I grant we could have had we been in the practice of running it closer to full, which I'd suggest would be a rookie error in winter) but I think I would have been in trouble with a cassette arrangement in those circumstances.  

Advantages and disadvantages to both, I think, and it really comes down to personal preference... or whatever arrangement happens to be in the boat that finds you.

I do use my silly macerator bog when cruising cos it was fitted ont boat. I use a porta bog when moored up as now. I bought a fancy new porta bog from a forumite yesterday, its even got an electric flush and not one but two gauges lol.

Thank you all...but as usual when talking about toilets...it's going right off my original topic.

I want to go cruising...so don't want to take out the tank and fit a cassette...or a mascerator...or  a new tank ...or a composter...or spend long hours arguing which system is best....?

I was just asking for ideas to make my current tank a little better with limited work.

I now think I have the root of the problem.

The previous owners left it for long periods with part full tank...with 'stuff' gradually solidifying under the bog and around the pump out and rinse pipe.

There is no air vent, and so the partially blocked pump out pipe means that when you bung water down the rinse it blows back. I know this is the case as when I had the pump out valve open and we tried to fill the tank with water via the rinse..it shot straight back out and the electronic contents gauge shot up to full with the pressure.

The gases build up...there is no way out or airflow for encouraging good bacteria and so when you flush the loo the gases come back through the eyeball.

I have now followed several suggestions :

I have made up a 'wand' with a tap....the bottom is bent 10mm copper pipe ..headed to 15mm and a standard hose connector....that will go through the eyeball vent and I can flush the length of the tank with some pressure .

I have ordered the parts from Leesan to add a 1 1/2 inch breather pipe and an external vent.

Added to this..I left the boat with a considerable amount of Wilko Bio liquid in the tank to soften the material on the bottom....(tanks bottom..not mine)

I have ordered an aquarium air pump ...timer....and attachments...to drill a 10mm hole in the opposite end of the tank..and then periodically it will put an airflow across the contents... I will supplement this with a biological tank liquid to encourage the 'good' bacteria.

I will see how this goes...hopefully go cruising...and will report back in some weeks/months.

Thanks all for your constructive...and sometimes amusing suggestions...?

Bob

• Greenie 2

6 hours ago, Bobbybass said:

This is my ..through the eyeball tank washer....

I named it a grossen boggen flushen ..

IMG_20190428_074440.jpg

I know of at least one other forum member who needs to use one of these when pumping out. Along with furious rocking of the boat. A right old palava.

Lovely, and the reason I prefer cassette bogs! 

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I know of at least one other forum member who needs to use one of these when pumping out. Along with furious rocking of the boat. A right old palava.

Lovely, and the reason I prefer cassette bogs! 

Thats what the joke is. Peeps with pumpouts state they dont like emptying them, but its far worse peeing about with a dump through or indeed any pump out tank. Its usualy but not always hobby boaters with pump outs though some live aboards still havnt seen the light ?

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its usualy but not always hobby boaters with pump outs though some live aboards still havnt seen the light ?

I should think most live-aboard boaters would rather have storage space under their bed than a huge tank of bodily waste.

Edited by eid
waist

6 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

The chance of it back siphoning is very small, but if it was mine I would fit a double check valve.  Just saying.

You missed this point.

You attach this to your water hose......put the bent end down the bog...and blast the tank....

This is just a hose pipe with a bent end....

You don't leave it down there !!!

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Thats what the joke is. Peeps with pumpouts state they dont like emptying them, but its far worse peeing about with a dump through or indeed any pump out tank. Its usualy but not always hobby boaters with pump outs though some live aboards still havnt seen the light ?

I took out my cassette when I lived aboard.....non hobby....and fitted a macerator and pump out.

I could only figure that people that like lugging cassettes etc...must have a toilet fetish....liking to see there pooh on a 3 day basis....

Edited by Bobbybass

36 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

You missed this point.

You attach this to your water hose......put the bent end down the bog...and blast the tank....

This is just a hose pipe with a bent end....

You don't leave it down there !!!

I took out my cassette when I lived aboard.....non hobby....and fitted a macerator and pump out.

I could only figure that people that like lugging cassettes etc...must have a toilet fetish....liking to see there pooh on a 3 day basis....

I am fully aware of how it works, we used to have hockey stick things to move the muck around. cassettes just make more sense and never any mess. I do confess to having a silly macerator bog on this boat, which I have left in as I am fed up of taking the daft things out and the bathroom is a sensible size so I have a proper boat porta bog in their as well which we use. People have pram hoods and other nonsense stuff on their boats but education is key to try to change their bad habits!! ?

17 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I am fully aware of how it works, we used to have hockey stick things to move the muck around. cassettes just make more sense and never any mess. I do confess to having a silly macerator bog on this boat, which I have left in as I am fed up of taking the daft things out and the bathroom is a sensible size so I have a proper boat porta bog in their as well which we use. People have pram hoods and other nonsense stuff on their boats but education is key to try to change their bad habits!! ?

No no no...my comment wasn't aimed at you.   The member  'Chewbacka'...….said I needed a anti siphon check valve....but obviously ( maybe) thought...it was something I left down there.....whereas it's just an extension to my water hose...

• Happy 1