Notice Alert

Oxford Canal
Starts At: Lock 33, Aynho Weir Lock
Ends At: Lock 33, Aynho Weir Lock

Thursday 25 April 2019 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction 
Reason: Vandalism

Original message:

Due to Vandalism Aynho Weir Lock on the Oxford Canal is not possible to operate using a windlass.

Our staff are working on a solution to repair both paddles as soon as possible.

Hard to fathom from this what exactly they have done.

26 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Notice Alert

Oxford Canal

Original message:

Due to Vandalism Aynho Weir Lock on the Oxford Canal is not possible to operate using a windlass.

I will pop down and have a look.

29 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

Sounds like someone has discovered that battery powered angle grinders exist.

Exactly this!! Bloody morons have cut the ends off top and bottom lock. Now for the best bit!!!! Although CART obviously know about this, there is no one there to help out!! It should be down as a stoppage not restriction, there is no way newbie boaters or most hirers would know what to do. I helped one hirer through just after a single handed bloke had come up through the lock. The CART yard as most people know is 500 yards away, there is no one there, its locked up so may have gone for some bits?????  There should be a CART bod there to help boaters through. Its quiet today but still boats about.

15 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Exactly this!! Bloody morons have cut the ends off top and bottom lock. Now for the best bit!!!! Although CART obviously know about this, there is no one there to help out!! It should be down as a stoppage not restriction, there is no way newbie boaters or most hirers would know what to do. I helped one hirer through just after a single handed bloke had come up through the lock. The CART yard as most people know is 500 yards away, there is no one there, its locked up so may have gone for some bits?????  There should be a CART bod there to help boaters through. Its quiet today but still boats about.

Subtle CART water saving measure?  Are you manning the locks today with a Stillson wrench?

7 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Subtle CART water saving measure?  Are you manning the locks today with a Stillson wrench?

There are no boats there at present. One has just gone down who I told about and he has tools. I will be dog walking again soon so will take the stillies with me. Its pretty crap that CART havnt just left a bod there imho and I am one who usualy extols their virtues. It is of course raining on and off at present.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

There are no boats there at present. One has just gone down who I told about and he has tools. I will be dog walking again soon so will take the stillies with me. Its pretty crap that CART havnt just left a bod there imho and I am one who usualy extols their virtues. It is of course raining on and off at present.

Good man! Keep it going.  You are doing a better job than CART.

When you have finished there can you go to the Liverpool vandal site and remove the site cabin from the cut and install a new bridge control box please?

1 minute ago, Boater Sam said:

Good man! Keep it going.  You are doing a better job than CART.

When you have finished there can you go to the Liverpool vandal site and remove the site cabin from the cut and install a new bridge control box please?

Will do ?

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

We're heading in your direction Tim (a few weeks later than originally planned), Banbury at the weekend then probably continue south on Monday. I was thinking of turning by the CRT yard or possibly carrying on. Perhaps I'd better buy one of those wrenches while we're in Banbury! 

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Sorry for being thick but what does this mean?

14 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Sorry for being thick but what does this mean?

Guessing someone has cut the tapered bits off, where the windlass usually fits.

1 minute ago, Boater Sam said:

I think Mrsmelly means the 4 windlass spindles are cut off, top and bottom paddles of the lock but its hard to tell or believe.

Is scrap so valuable today?

There is only 1 at each end on that lock

7 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Guessing someone has cut the tapered bits off, where the windlass usually fits.

any particular reason to do that?  Is it simply mindless vandalism?  

I suppose if I had my hands on a battery powered angle grinder, and was so inclined, I would find many attractive targets without having to walk down the towpath.

1 minute ago, Wittenham said:

any particular reason to do that?  Is it simply mindless vandalism?  

I suppose if I had my hands on a battery powered angle grinder, and was so inclined, I would find many attractive targets without having to walk down the towpath.

No reason, just mindless vandalism and a slight lack of parental control.  But while they're doing that they're not chucking bricks at boats....

5 minutes ago, Clodi said:

What size stilson wrench do you use? I only carry a small one on board but I'd rather be prepared for all eventualities.

44mm capacity will do, it will be about a foot long. Just to fit the bar on the gearing. Take some black paint with you to repair the scratches.......................

29 minutes ago, billS said:

There is only 1 at each end on that lock

This is correct. Weir lock has but one on each end but in fact at present non on each end, yes the taper has been cut clean off by some eejut. I have been out shopping to Bicester but will stroll down again later for a look. A fairly small stilson will do it, I have a lightweight pair I will take with me in case its still busted later on. I would hope though by now its fixed or at least some bod is there assisting.

Have just heard on the Middlewich that there is a problem on the Liverpool Link. Not on the web site yet and no info from CRT on the phone. We are booked in on the 8th May so have you any further details ?

Sorry, just read the other post concerning this, must pay attention ! As you were.

3 minutes ago, colmac said:

Have just heard on the Middlewich that there is a problem on the Liverpool Link. Not on the web site yet and no info from CRT on the phone. We are booked in on the 8th May so have you any further details ?

Rimmer's Bridge, Green's Lane, nr Ormskirk, West Lancashire. Cabin in cut, bridge console totally trashed with a JCB

Thread is " not getting to Liverpool again"

5 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Notice Alert

Oxford Canal

Original message:

Now fixed.

I've just put a Stillie (for my "just in case" box) into my Amazon wishlist as a reminder. 

Would this one be up to it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-361-8-Stillson-Wrench-8-Inch/dp/B001OXGUVK/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

I don't want to take up any more of my limited storage space (I've only got a little'un) than is absolutely necessary.

7 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I've just put a Stillie (for my "just in case" box) into my Amazon wishlist as a reminder. 

Would this one be up to it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-361-8-Stillson-Wrench-8-Inch/dp/B001OXGUVK/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

I don't want to take up any more of my limited storage space (I've only got a little'un) than is absolutely necessary.

That will suffice. Might see you for some fab bangers soon eh? Some superb pork and apple burgers came back today from a pig that went away and came back in " Kit Form " I never buy burgers but had one in the week here and they are fab, highly recomended but sell like lightning. there will probably be some more fresh ones next thursday but if you need some let me know and I will freeze some for you, same applies to bangers they fly out the door.