Weed hatch

Featured Posts

Hi everyone

Two questions today ?

The weed hatch on my boat doesn't have a access cover, l am obviously intending on putting one in but wondered if I would be as well to just extended the hatch up to floor level.

If doing so would I need to fit a baffle plate lower down (if that makes sense)

And then just seal the top.

Doing it this way would save me a lot of work, but is it workable with such a long drop to the prop.

Second..

I the image you can see a tap (bottom left) it used to supply a diesel stove.

I was wondering if I could convert it into a fuel level sight guage. Would this cause problems for the BSS or anything thing.

Thanks again looking forward to your input ?

IMG_20190416_123649.jpg

Yes the baffle plate still nedds to be a counter level.  You will need very long arms to reach down from the deck above- remember that you may need to get at something wedged at the lower edge of the prop.

The spare tap could makre a sight glass, but BSS generally does  not like them and has a heap of special requirements.  The bottom tap needs to spring close for example and you would need a top fitting, not just an open pipe.  Read the BSS guide for all the gory details.

N

Surely the yellow tap was designed as a tank drain.  Fuel being drawn off to supply something should be taken from the highest point of the tank, via a dip tube.

6 minutes ago, mark99 said:

It looks like the access cover is just plywood or similar.

Think I can see traces of rust showing through, also you wouldn't have forcing screws on ply.

Just now, David Mack said:

And if that is a simple tap and an open ended pipe it is a BSS fail. Pretty sure the BSS requires the tank drain (if fitted) to be only openable using tools.

No, it can be a normal tap but the only thing screwed into it should be a blanking plug.  If the tap in the photo was accidentally knocked, the fuel would be in the bilge (to the op)

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

And if that is a simple tap and an open ended pipe it is a BSS fail. Pretty sure the BSS requires the tank drain (if fitted) to be only openable using tools.

1 hour ago, NB Esk said:

No, it can be a normal tap but the only thing screwed into it should be a blanking plug.  If the tap in the photo was accidentally knocked, the fuel would be in the bilge (to the op)

You are both correct in that the final seal to the ‘system’ in this case ‘a bit of pipe and ball valve’ must be sealed with an effective seal requiring tools to remove.  So a screw in blanking plug is common (after the tap).

I may be wrong, but what I think the OP is saying is that in order to get to the weedhatch, he needs to crawl through the engine bay, wheras most boats have an access door in the rear deck which would enable him to get down into the space over the weed hatch. Fitting one, with the appropriate drainage chanels etc would make life much easier, but I do not think it would be a good idea to extend the weedhatch up to deck level for the reasons already covered by others.

Looks like my access, but better. I've been thinking of getting a hatch installed in the back deck above the weedhatch for twenty-something years, but as I've only been down the hatch three times (twice to look at the prop and once to remove a fishing rod bag) it's not been high on my list of priorities. I guess it depends on how often you need to open it. As years go by and my back gets weaker, it may become more important.

Sorry for not replying sooner everyone and thank you for your feedback.

Sorry I might not have explained very clearly.

Yes #Dave Schweitzer  exactly it's a pain and close to impossible to get to the prop as it is.

7 hours ago, Chewbacka said:
8 hours ago, David Mack said:

8 hours ago, NB Esk said:

You are both correct in that the final seal to the ‘system’ in this case ‘a bit of pipe and ball valve’ must be sealed with an effective seal requiring tools to remove.  So a screw in blanking plug is common (after the tap).

The tap used to have a brass supply pipe into the cabin to a diesel stove. 

The pipe had been left in and just folded over at the end halfway into the boat, I have currently drained the tank and removed the pipe.

If it's problematic to fit a sight guage I will just blank it off.

9 hours ago, mark99 said:

It looks like the access cover is just plywood or similar.

It's white sealer not my doing... there is no rubber seal at present.

Thanks everyone I will stick with putting in a access panel with gutters and drains was just wondering ?.

For your interest the following images are what I have been doing today ?

IMG_20190425_113325.jpg

IMG_20190425_153025.jpg

Edited by Tim Gilbert

On our old share boat,(trad stern)  the weedhatch was accessed by crawling over the engine boards, under the back step and deck. On our current boat, most of the back deck is a hatch which hinges up, allowing access to the weed hatch below. I find it's actually more dfficult with that arrangement, as I can't contort myself into a relaxed position where my shoulders are next to the hatch, so it's a bit of an awkward reach to the prop. Also, I have to be careful where I put my feet ? A few inches further to reach the prop shaft makes a big difference, so extending the weedhatch to deck level may not be a good idea.

18 minutes ago, Tim Gilbert said:

For your interest the following images are what I have been doing today ?

IMG_20190425_113325.jpg

Are you fitting a hatch to launch a little dinghy from? Like some big posh boats.

Picture is not too clear but a posh yacht at Monaco 2004.

MVC-015F.JPG

Edited by Ray T

10 hours ago, Tim Gilbert said:

Doing it this way would save me a lot of work, but is it workable with such a long drop to the prop.

Depends how big the access hatch is!

I'm afraid it's another case of "should've bought a cruiser stern". I've had a trad, a semi-trad (share boat) and the current cruiser, and the last is the only one with a usable weed hatch. It's not really a question of having to go down the weed hatch when the engine grinds to a halt, more one of doing so as part of routine inspection and maintenance. You never know what's already around the prop -- until you look.  

Just now, mark99 said:

That hull looks very corroded.

It's more me being picky I am going to Zinga it so just gone over it over the top I expect. The plated section was just a large area of pitting so chopped it out. 

Couple of 2mm pits around but most was at 1mm. 6mm sides.

It's in our yard easier to do it now than later ?

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

50 minutes ago, Tim Gilbert said:

It's more me being picky I am going to Zinga it so just gone over it over the top I expect. The plated section was just a large area of pitting so chopped it out. 

Couple of 2mm pits around but most was at 1mm. 6mm sides.

It's in our yard easier to do it now than later ?

Good man, I like someone who's not afraid to get stuck in, look to be doing a good job, is that your welding?