Not Getting to Liverpool - Yet Again.

pearley

Featured Posts

So last year our trip to Liverpool was washed out for a number of reasons, the breach amongst them.

So booked in again this year, originally for early June, then something came up so now late June.  Then last week a stoppage notice for Coxhead Swing Bridge at Maghull to say the landing was being rebuilt so only open during 'working' hours. Then this morning another email to say the control panel had been vandalised and CRT were investigating. Then this afternoon yet another email to say the vandalism is severe and it could be weeks before its repaired - dont they keep spare consoles? But the email goes on to talk about the 'mechanisms uncovered by the vehicle impact'. What vehicle impact? Not mentioned earlier.

But several weeks for goodness sake.

56 minutes ago, pearley said:

So last year our trip to Liverpool was washed out for a number of reasons, the breach amongst them.

So booked in again this year, originally for early June, then something came up so now late June.  Then last week a stoppage notice for Coxhead Swing Bridge at Maghull to say the landing was being rebuilt so only open during 'working' hours. Then this morning another email to say the control panel had been vandalised and CRT were investigating. Then this afternoon yet another email to say the vandalism is severe and it could be weeks before its repaired - dont they keep spare consoles? But the email goes on to talk about the 'mechanisms uncovered by the vehicle impact'. What vehicle impact? Not mentioned earlier.

Yes, we are also planning to get to Liverpool and, looking at the map, I'm not sure why they don't lock the bridge open to canal traffic whilst they carry out repairs. It is a minor road with easy alternatives for road traffic, but no alternatives for boats. I seem to recall being told that a number of years ago some local oik thought it would be funny to wreck the controls of the lift bridge at Barnby Dun without realising that it was the waterway that had priority. The road was shut for weeks whilst they repaired it and it was a long way to travel to get around it. Hasn't been wrecked since:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, pearley said:

This is bad news as we are booked in for the end of May, and also had a booking last year just days after the breach.

Its looks to me that just about every swing/lift bridge on the system is custom designed and built so no chance of commonality and spare parts.

.............Dave

Went through this bridge on Sunday and it was fine. Crt are rebuilding the offside mooring on one side of the bridge so only a problem for single handers.

the consoles are pretty similar along the L&L and that one didn’t seem unique, so seems like a more serious issue reading  the somewhat confusing notice 

You can get through if you time it right.

Update on 25/04/2019:

After speaking with our contractors, we have organised the following manual swinging of Bridge 20, Coxhead Swing Bridge to allow customer passage.

We request customers who wish to pass through to arrive promptly at 12pm on each of the following days;

Saturday 27 April.

Thereafter every Monday and Friday until a repair is completed.

Customers with a Liverpool Link/Salthouse Dock Booking, please make sure you leave yourself with enough time to allow passage through Bridge 20. Those who wish to rearrange your booking, please do so online, or by calling our Customer Service team on 03030 404040.

19 hours ago, Derek Porteous said:

We are scheduled to go down to Liverpool on Monday, so it looks like the only way we are going to get there is by bus. Hopefully there will be a more “definitive” announcement tomorrow, as everything seems a bit vague so far. 

Hopefully you will be able to get to bridge 20 at 12.00 Saturday 27th.  Good luck.

26 minutes ago, Derek Porteous said:

Yep, just heard about those awfully nice people at CRT manually opening the bridge. Saturday noon it is then, and that gives us a couple of nights at Melling. No great hardship.

Great, it will be worth the effort. We went last September and had a fabulous week in Salthouse Dock.

Winds are far too strong (for us) this morning to attempt to get to Coxhead’s Bridge for today’s noon opening. Next scheduled time is Monday meaning we will be a day late locking down into Liverpool (Tuesday instead of Monday) Can’t get the CRT phone line to answer at the weekend. Should this be an issue? ie. is the limiting factor berths in Salthouse Dock (we have our’s reserved) or the number of boats using the link?

We are moored overnight 3 miles from Coxhead’s Swing Bridge and only one boat moving this morning. I guess a few other boaters are also waiting for the gale to pass.

14 minutes ago, Derek Porteous said:

Winds are far too strong (for us) this morning to attempt to get to Coxhead’s Bridge for today’s noon opening. Next scheduled time is Monday meaning we will be a day late locking down into Liverpool (Tuesday instead of Monday) Can’t get the CRT phone line to answer at the weekend. Should this be an issue? ie. is the limiting factor berths in Salthouse Dock (we have our’s reserved) or the number of boats using the link?

We are moored overnight 3 miles from Coxhead’s Swing Bridge and only one boat moving this morning. I guess a few other boaters are also waiting for the gale to pass.

Didn't think the Link was open on Tuesdays.

10 minutes ago, Derek Porteous said:

If you booked a berth for a specific period it should be availble for that period. I would still contact CaRT  Liverpool Link Team on 03030 404040

If the link is not open on Tuesdays, then we will probably have to abandon our trip. However, as Coxhead’s Swing Bridge is being opened at noon every Monday, the Tuesday closed timing would be very strange.

I tried to contact CRT at the number above first thing this morning to discuss options, but just got a message to say the office was not open until Monday.

Edited by Derek Porteous
Typo

25 minutes ago, Derek Porteous said:

As far as I know there is no restriction on the number of boat movements as long as they are booked into Salthouse. It's a bit strange that CRT made Monday an opening day for Coxhead bridge as it doesn't give you time to get to Stanley Locks by 4pm and there is currently no passage on Tuesdays, so another day waiting. I am booked in the week after and considering the logistics.

15 minutes ago, Derek Porteous said:

If the link is not open on Tuesdays, then we will probably have to abandon our trip. However, as Coxhead’s Swing Bridge is being opened at noon every Monday, the Tuesday closed timing would be very strange.

I tried to contact CRT at the number above first thing this morning to discuss options, but just got a message to say the office was not open until Monday.

Tuesday is their maintenance day but due to the swing bridge probem I think C&RT will be very flexible and allow boats through if you have a booked passage.  The sort of maintenance they will be doing should not close down the link. If I were you I would just turn up and take a chance.  If you cant get down the Stanley flight on Tuesday you can moor overnight at the top of the flight.

Mmmm. Not sure I would be happy mooring there overnight. Yes, I know the area has improved over the years, but we are nervous moored! 

Such a pity that we can’t talk to anyone at CRT over a weekend which is, presumably, the busiest time, in boating movements.

9 minutes ago, Derek Porteous said:

Mmmm. Not sure I would be happy mooring there overnight. Yes, I know the area has improved over the years, but we are nervous moored! 

Such a pity that we can’t talk to anyone at CRT over a weekend which is, presumably, the busiest time, in boating movements.

I have moored at the terminus basin overnight before and it was fine.

20 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Tuesday is their maintenance day but due to the swing bridge probem I think C&RT will be very flexible and allow boats through if you have a booked passage.  The sort of maintenance they will be doing should not close down the link. If I were you I would just turn up and take a chance.  If you cant get down the Stanley flight on Tuesday you can moor overnight at the top of the flight.

Yes, I would think that once CRT are aware of the timing issues they will make some revisions.

44 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I'm aware of this incident, which occurred 3 years ago. As far as I know it was a one-off, but others more local to the area may update us on the current situation.  When I stayed there it did not feel at all threatening.

Storm Hannah has added to the general chaos. At least 7 narrowboats waiting to get through Coxhead’s Swing Bridge at noon tomorrow and presumably more to arrive this evening and tomorrow morning. As yet no decision (as far as I am aware) on whether the Liverpool Link will be open on Tuesday. Whilst the vandalism of the bridge was outside CRT’s control, the subsequent handling of the situation has not been great.

CRT have not replied to my voicemail or email yet, but another waiting boat has spoken to them this morning. Apparently they can’t/won’t open the Liverpool Link on Tuesdays. Not sure why they decided to make Monday the Coxhead’s Swing Bridge opening day. There is presumably a reason for that which I cannot fathom.

10 minutes ago, Derek Porteous said:

CRT have not replied to my voicemail or email yet, but another waiting boat has spoken to them this morning. Apparently they can’t/won’t open the Liverpool Link on Tuesdays. Not sure why they decided to make Monday the Coxhead’s Swing Bridge opening day. There is presumably a reason for that which I cannot fathom.

I can't see any reason they can't open the link on Tuesday as all it needs is unlocking at the set time. As the link is now all self service would not require any CaRT staff to be present, although there usually is a presence..