Taunton and Bridgewater canal

Featured Posts

I have a 60 x 10 canal boat and would love to put it on the Bridgewater and Taunton.  Does anybody out there know whether I could just cruise the canal between the locks, as they all seem to be up at one end?  And are there any facilities for craning-on? Thanks.

2 hours ago, Sue Robinson said:

I have a 60 x 10 canal boat and would love to put it on the Bridgwater and Taunton.  Does anybody out there know whether I could just cruise the canal between the locks, as they all seem to be up at one end?  And are there any facilities for craning-on? Thanks.

Edited by Sue Robinson

I take it you're also looking for a mooring as you can't really be hoping to claim to be bona fide continuously cruising on that length of canal, surely?   I would have thought the navigation authority would answer any and all of your queries in moments - have you had a chat with CRT?  

60 foot is too long for the locks, might be okay in a mooring in Bridgwater docks (which were built for very much bigger boats!). You could probably get the boat to the first lock, but I doubt there is anywhere to turn a 60 footer if you did, as the canal was built for boats 54 feet long

Ive been using the canal here recently and find it hard to turn a 40ftr around.

That combined with how shallow it is at places.

The maximum size of boat that can navigate the canal is
length: 55' 2" (16.8 metres) - Firepool Lock
beam: 12' 6" (3.8 metres) - Higher maunsell Lock
height: 7' 3" (2.2 metres) - Huntworth Bridge (No 12) and Obridge Bridge (No 36)
draught: 4' 6" (1.36 metres) - cill of Higher Maunsell Lock

Like Magpie Patrick said you could probably cruise from Bridgwater to the first lock and maybe turn around at Wide Waters but not guaranteed.

You can get craned in at Bridgwater Docks outside the animal feed place.

If your that interested why not hire out one of the plastic boats or charter the narrowboat from http://www.somersetboatcentre.co.uk

Its the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal not the Taunton and Bridgewater. (no E in bridgwater) that's one way to annoy the locals 

Edited by rustydiver
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, rustydiver said:

why not hire out one of the plastic boats or charter the narrowboat from http://www.somersetboatcentre.co.uk

I had no idea this was there! When did they open? About time there were these facilities to promote use of a very underused canal. I wish them well and hope they make the business a great success. 

19 minutes ago, Tom and Bex said:

I had no idea this was there! When did they open? About time there were these facilities to promote use of a very underused canal. I wish them well and hope they make the business a great success. 

I didn't know about them either! Not too far from me...

They have been going for about 6 to 9 months now. Ive been doing some skippering for them, which has been great being my boat is on the G&S I've not experienced locks and bridges that has to be done and low bridges, Ouch!

It seems to be getting busy there now.  Especially with the wheelchair accessible boat.

IMG_6952.JPG.b91a1d51497753d20e87ff78c8356434.JPG

Approaching Firepool Lock on the river Tone.

IMG_6837.JPG.0526e2ea5ea0208d2e5883e752c8f520.JPG

Taking the wheelchair boat out for a spin.

1485725088_Look-Centre1.jpg.4f2ec93f12c45e5d7bda5a961c4081b1.jpg

Thanks for the info and pics. Great to see Firepool lock getting some use! Pass on my best wishes to them. Looks like it's worth a visit when next in Somerset. 

Have many happy memories of boating on the B&T in various forms of boat, and have done the full length many times.  Grew up in Creech St. Michael and helped crew the various IWA boats before full opening, and again at Maunsel lock for a while. 

10 hours ago, Tom and Bex said:

Thanks for the info and pics. Great to see Firepool lock getting some use! Pass on my best wishes to them. Looks like it's worth a visit when next in Somerset. 

The stretch as you go into Taunton is very shallow now, you can hear the boats bottom scraping along the canal bed. 

There are plans to dredge some sections next year. We all wait with bated breath to see if it actually happens.

On 24/04/2019 at 17:19, Sea Dog said:

I take it you're also looking for a mooring as you can't really be hoping to claim to be bona fide continuously cruising on that length of canal, surely?   I would have thought the navigation authority would answer any and all of your queries in moments - have you had a chat with CRT?  

Yes, I've just spoken with someone from CRT and they said that it could be possible just to cruise between the lock at Firepool and the next one up.  I don't know how far that is, so could be a bit restricting.   

On 02/05/2019 at 10:58, rustydiver said:

The stretch as you go into Taunton is very shallow now, you can hear the boats bottom scraping along the canal bed. 

There are plans to dredge some sections next year. We all wait with bated breath to see if it actually happens.

Not a good idea, then!

Thanks

On 24/04/2019 at 21:38, magpie patrick said:

60 foot is too long for the locks, might be okay in a mooring in Bridgwater docks (which were built for very much bigger boats!). You could probably get the boat to the first lock, but I doubt there is anywhere to turn a 60 footer if you did, as the canal was built for boats 54 feet long

Okay, thanks.  I think I know the answer then: no way!

On 01/05/2019 at 13:40, rustydiver said:

Ive been using the canal here recently and find it hard to turn a 40ftr around.

That combined with how shallow it is at places.

The maximum size of boat that can navigate the canal is
length: 55' 2" (16.8 metres) - Firepool Lock
beam: 12' 6" (3.8 metres) - Higher maunsell Lock
height: 7' 3" (2.2 metres) - Huntworth Bridge (No 12) and Obridge Bridge (No 36)
draught: 4' 6" (1.36 metres) - cill of Higher Maunsell Lock

Like Magpie Patrick said you could probably cruise from Bridgwater to the first lock and maybe turn around at Wide Waters but not guaranteed.

You can get craned in at Bridgwater Docks outside the animal feed place.

If your that interested why not hire out one of the plastic boats or charter the narrowboat from http://www.somersetboatcentre.co.uk

Its the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal not the Taunton and Bridgewater. (no E in bridgwater) that's one way to annoy the locals 

Thanks for this info.  So the other locks as the same length - or smaller - than Firepool?