Recommendations for routes around Brum

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

I'm after some advice on which way to go on this years summer cruise. The boat is booked in for blacking at the top of Hatton in mid May – so we have to get it there first! I know the way.

Plan then is to head up north to the Peak Forest or further if Marple is open (I do fancy doing the Standedge tunnel). Just wondering about routes north around Brum from Hatton. We've only done the centre of Brum once (and never got chance to stop) so I think that is favourite. Probably do the North Stratford and stop at least one night after the Lapworth locks........any good recommendations of good overnight stops on that stretch to Kings Norton? We'll then overnight in the centre of Brum

Thinking then of heading out on the Main line to Aldersley junction (then onwards up to Great Haywood). If we are doing 2-4 hrs a day, are there any areas to avoid mooring overnight on the Farmers bridge to Aldersley stretch? We've not been that way before.

An alternative to just doing the main line is to head south west from Dudley down towards Stourton on the Staffs and Worcester. Not a clue about these routes. Is it worthwhile doing this diversion and if so which would be the favoured route down. Looks like there are 2 or 3 different options. We've got plenty of time......as long as we can get back to Warwickshire before the winter stoppages!

Any recommendations for 'must stop at pubs' gratefully accepted.

From the centre of Brum I would take the Old Line and stop at Tipton or the Black Country Living Museum, then do from there to the bottom of the Wolverhampton 21. We generally go down to Compton and overnight, winding above Wightwick Lock or continue on to the Fox and Anchor (I think that is what it is called), then Penkridge and Great Haywood but that might be longer days than you wish to do.

I wouldn't recommend stopping between Brum and Tipton, stopping at the top of the 21 is ok, either on the secure mooring by Broad Street if you don't want to get off the boat or there is often boats moored either side before the lock but you can get a few drunks around there.

• Greenie 1

After going up Lapworth we go on a bit and stop just past the Bluebell Pub. After that its a longish but lock free day into central Brum. Some people do overnight at Kings Norton but I wouldn't.

Heading out of Brum Northwards I suggest a day to Woverhampton. The old main line is more interesting than the New. At Wolves there are safish but "no access" offside moorings, but if there is space go into the old BW yard opposite the moorings. The great Western pub is a proper black country boozer with some good railway stuff and its only a ten min walk away. Next day go down the Wolverhapton 21. Start earl as there might be an empty pound to sort out, then go onwards up the Shroppie or Staffs and Worcs as you fancy.

An alternative is to go through the big Netherton tunnel and then have a visit to the famous Swann/Ma Pardoes pub. People do overnight just beyond the tunnel, but there is a boat club just a little further who can probably fit you in for the night. Next day is another flight of locks (some a little urban and some very interesting) and then on to the Staffs and Worcs.

Farmers Bridge and Aston flights are something you should do once in your life but the other routes are nicer.

.................Dave

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

From the centre of Brum I would take the Old Line and stop at Tipton or the Black Country Living Museum, then do from there to the bottom of the Wolverhampton 21. We generally go down to Compton and overnight, winding above Wightwick Lock or continue on to the Fox and Anchor (I think that is what it is called), then Penkridge and Great Haywood but that might be longer days than you wish to do.

I wouldn't recommend stopping between Brum and Tipton, stopping at the top of the 21 is ok, either on the secure mooring by Broad Street if you don't want to get off the boat or there is often boats moored either side before the lock but you can get a few drunks around there.

Thanks Rob. All noted. I will get the map books out. Good stuff.

Day 1 Hatton to Kingswood junction, day 2 up the locks to Warings Green (Blue Bell), day 3 centre of Birmingham (5.5 hours).  If you want to split those 5.5 hours over 2 days, the add a stop at Shirley lift bridge, but as there are no locks it’s an easy trip on one.

34 minutes ago, dmr said:

After going up Lapworth we go on a bit and stop just past the Bluebell Pub. After that its a longish but lock free day into central Brum. Some people do overnight at Kings Norton but I wouldn't.

Heading out of Brum Northwards I suggest a day to Woverhampton. The old main line is more interesting than the New. At Wolves there are safish but "no access" offside moorings, but if there is space go into the old BW yard opposite the moorings. The great Western pub is a proper black country boozer with some good railway stuff and its only a ten min walk away. Next day go down the Wolverhapton 21. Start earl as there might be an empty pound to sort out, then go onwards up the Shroppie or Staffs and Worcs as you fancy.

An alternative is to go through the big Netherton tunnel and then have a visit to the famous Swann/Ma Pardoes pub. People do overnight just beyond the tunnel, but there is a boat club just a little further who can probably fit you in for the night. Next day is another flight of locks (some a little urban and some very interesting) and then on to the Staffs and Worcs.

Farmers Bridge and Aston flights are something you should do once in your life but the other routes are nicer.

.................Dave

So that is two votes for the old main line.

I am interested in the alternatives - so the Netherton tunnel sounds interesting. Is the stretch between the tunnel and the Staffs and Worc one to do in a day - or is it safe to moor overnight once you are past the 'boat club'?

38 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

If you want to stop between the centre of Birmingham and Tipton there is the mooring at the end of the Engine Arm.

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Day 1 Hatton to Kingswood junction, day 2 up the locks to Warings Green (Blue Bell), day 3 centre of Birmingham (5.5 hours).  If you want to split those 5.5 hours over 2 days, the add a stop at Shirley lift bridge, but as there are no locks it’s an easy trip on one.

Thanks John. That's the first few days sorted then!

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I am interested in the alternatives - so the Netherton tunnel sounds interesting. Is the stretch between the tunnel and the Staffs and Worc one to do in a day - or is it safe to moor overnight once you are past the 'boat club'?

Make certain you are reading the map correctly, Neterton tunnel is on the Birminham level, the Old Mail Line crosses above at the entrance to the tunnel, it is not a junction with the Neterton tunnel branch!

13 minutes ago, john6767 said:

We are lazy CCers but always try to do Hatton and Lapworth flights in a single day just to remind ourselves that we can do serious boating when we try. :)

..............Dave

14 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Tunnel to Staffs and Worcs in a day would be very hard work,. Its quite a slow canal and some of the flight is wonderful so not to be rushed. There is a basin at MerryHill shopping centre that is seen as a good safe place to stop. Some people stop on the visitor moorings just past the basin but we like to stop right in the basin opposite the pubs. There are often a few kids about but we have never had trouble.

Actually there are two flights of lock to tackle and both are good, if they were less urban then they would be real tourist spots.  A couple of rather interesting locks on the Staffs and Worcs too.

..........Dave

15 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Make certain you are reading the map correctly, Neterton tunnel is on the Birminham level, the Old Mail Line crosses above at the entrance to the tunnel, it is not a junction with the Neterton tunnel branch!

Ah, I can see that from the map now. Thanks!

If you have time to go down to Stourton then I would recommend it. The southern S&W has some very nice rural stretches, though its better again from Stourton south.

Our preferred route from Birmingham would be along the old main line to the Black Country museum, then factory locks and Netherton tunnel. Either stop south of the tunnel or at Brierley Hill (shopping centre and food etc, but OK for for mooring). Then down to either Stourbridge (moorings are OK at the end of the arm), or leave Stourbridge and moor in the country twards Stourton or beyone on the S&W.  You could take in some IWA Silver Propellor cahllenge locations on the way through (Titford Pools etc)

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, dmr said:

Tunnel to Staffs and Worcs in a day would be very hard work,. Its quite a slow canal and some of the flight is wonderful so not to be rushed. There is a basin at MerryHill shopping centre that is seen as a good safe place to stop. Some people stop on the visitor moorings just past the basin but we like to stop right in the basin opposite the pubs. There are often a few kids about but we have never had trouble.

Actually there are two flights of lock to tackle and both are good, if they were less urban then they would be real tourist spots.  A couple of rather interesting locks on the Staffs and Worcs too.

Thanks Dave. Quite tempted to explore down there.

6 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

If you have time to go down to Stourton then I would recommend it. The southern S&W has some very nice rural stretches, though its better again from Stourton south.

Our preferred route from Birmingham would be along the old main line to the Black Country museum, then factory locks and Netherton tunnel. Either stop south of the tunnel or at Brierley Hill (shopping centre and food etc, but OK for for mooring). Then down to either Stourbridge (moorings are OK at the end of the arm), or leave Stourbridge and moor in the country twards Stourton or beyone on the S&W.  You could take in some IWA Silver Propellor cahllenge locations on the way through (Titford Pools etc)

I've not got the Nicholson's guide with me at the moment but it sounds like I need to get it out when we get back to the boat next week. Stourbridge sounds interesting. Not thought of that.

Being a muppet, I've no eye dear what the IWA silver propellor challenge is....so need to google it. I'm up for anything but not sure about Mrs Bob.

If you don't want to overnight by the tunnel then do a quick lunch time stop opposite the "visitor centre". There are usually lots of people about and usually a boat or two so its safe. Its a ten min walk up to Ma Pardoes.

Get a pint and a cheese cob in the front bar.

We went in about 5 years ago which was my first visit since my student days.

I said to barman, "Wow, Ive not been in here for thirty years and absolutely nothing has changed".

Barman looked at me like I was a complete idiot and said, "it has, there's a safety guard in front of the stove now"

..............Dave

14 minutes ago, dmr said:

If you don't want to overnight by the tunnel then do a quick lunch time stop opposite the "visitor centre". There are usually lots of people about and usually a boat or two so its safe. Its a ten min walk up to Ma Pardoes.

Get a pint and a cheese cob in the front bar.

We went in about 5 years ago which was my first visit since my student days.

I said to barman, "Wow, Ive not been in here for thirty years and absolutely nothing has changed".

Barman looked at me like I was a complete idiot and said, "it has, there's a safety guard in front of the stove now"

..............Dave

Did a search 'cause I'd not heard of Ma Pardoes.

Looks great. https://www.bing.com/search?q=ma pardoes netherton&pc=cosp&ptag=G6C999N1234D010316A316A5D3C6E&form=CONBDF&conlogo=CT3210127

So much to explore!

If you go via Netherton you could call in to Hawne Basin (cheap diesel), then Merry Hill, then down Delph Locks and take in the Stourbridge Branch. From Stourbridge you can do Compton in a day, myself and Captain Pegg did it last year but it is a full days boating. There are a few options to break the trip up in to two days, Greensforge is a reasonable stopping point.

4 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

If you go via Netherton you could call in to Hawne Basin (cheap diesel), then Merry Hill, then down Delph Locks and take in the Stourbridge Branch. From Stourbridge you can do Compton in a day, myself and Captain Pegg did it last year but it is a full days boating. There are a few options to break the trip up in to two days, Greensforge is a reasonable stopping point.

Thats a good idea. Gosty Hill Tunnel, just mind you don't get a tyre round the prop in the middle of it :)

..........Dave

Some nice ideas above and I have to say I really like the Netherton tunnel route, although there's nothing overtly attractive about it.  Mooring at Windmill End is fine and an easy cruise from Brum or the Black Country Museum. Then, or instead, you could  go down the Dudley No2, through Gosty Hill tunnel to Hawne Basin (Coombeswood Canal Trust) who are pleased to see visitors and will sell you diesel at the best price around. Windmill End to Ma Pardoes is a shortish walk but, sadly, I was underwhelmed (I know - sacrilege!) so have only made it once and there's nowt else there worth the trip.

On from there through Jeff Astle's bridge (one for the football fans) is an easy run to Briefly Hill / Merry Hill to give Mrs Bob a dose of retail therapy. You can walk from there to Batham's excellent Bull & Bladder (aka The Vine), a well recommended pub I'm always happy with - do lunchtime and have a cob.. or maybe two.

The next run is a bit busier as you probably need to do the interesting Delph flight and the Stourbridge in a single day, mooring down at the end of the Stourbridge Arm, probably just outside the fenced off bit, which doesn't look much but is fine. If you dont fancy Stourbridge, you keep going a bit longer and moor safely enough down at the junction, before heading north the next day. 

Alternatively, instead of the Netherton or Wolverhampton options... either double back after Brum/BCM or simply turn left at the end of the North Stratford at King's Norton Junction if you don't want to do the city/museum.  Go through Wast Hill tunnel, stopping at Alvechurch, before going down Tardebigge. Overnight at the Queens Head and then, over the next day or two, get yourselves down to Worcester (well worth a night or two's visit) before going up the Severn to Stourport, which is a lovely half day cruise.  Now you are at the ideal start point to do the whole length of the lovely S&W and back on track!  Take the missus for a coffee in the cake shop at Compton - you'll both be amazed by the cakes they have on show (plus, The Swan is opposite). 

If you choose to go to Hawne basin beware that Ghosty Hill tunnel gets very low in the middle with no warning signs at the entrance and the bridge into the basin is even lower!!

On the North Stratford it is well worth stopping at Wedgies Bakery at Hockley Heath. They do an excellent range of bread, pies, cakes etc. There is also Jaspers at Penkridge - cream cakes to die for

If you are on the Staffs and Worcs stop at Wightwick Manor - it is a glorious Arts and crafts house withe original decor etc. It is only 5mins walk from the canal. I think that the S&W is a lovely canal and well worth dawdling on.

We spent a night at the top of Wolverhampton flight in October and had no problems, also one at Tividale on the old main line where the basin with no boats in it is.

The BCN is ace. 

If you haven’t got one already, get a Waterscape (?) paper map. You can get one from the Cambrian Wharf office. 

Explore as much as you can, it is ALL interesting. 

Leaving Brum via Stourbridge drops you down onto a really lovely stretch of the Staff and Worcester that you’d miss if you were to leave via Wolverhampton.  I think this stretch is prettier than the Wolverhampton to Great Haywood bit. (Never done the

bit down to Stourport). 

Will be good to know how you get on. 

In Central Brum I tend to tie up at Brindley Place or Cambrian Wharf. 

Enjoy. 

Looks like you’ll need your tin hat on the Staff and Worcester. According to another thread. ⛑

Edited by Goliath

1 hour ago, Richard T said:

If you choose to go to Hawne basin beware that Ghosty Hill tunnel gets very low in the middle with no warning signs at the entrance and the bridge into the basin is even lower!!

On the North Stratford it is well worth stopping at Wedgies Bakery at Hockley Heath. They do an excellent range of bread, pies, cakes etc. There is also Jaspers at Penkridge - cream cakes to die for

If you are on the Staffs and Worcs stop at Wightwick Manor - it is a glorious Arts and crafts house withe original decor etc. It is only 5mins walk from the canal. I think that the S&W is a lovely canal and well worth dawdling on.

We spent a night at the top of Wolverhampton flight in October and had no problems, also one at Tividale on the old main line where the basin with no boats in it is.

Don't fill yourself up with cakes, leave some space to try the chip shop at Hockley, it's surprisingly good for a 'posh suburb'. Not even remotely cheap though.

I don't think much of either of the pubs but many would like on or other of them.

Netherton tunnel, bored,bored,bored, have we not got the the end yet? Bored, bored,bored, have we got there yet,  bored bored, bored and so on basically for ever.

Wast hill, oh this is cool, don't know what everyone was banging on about it's not that low...bloody hell that nearly took my head off, can I actually fit through, oh is that it