Beware Staffordshire & Worcestershire

luggsy

Featured Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience, that's a horrible thing to have to face. Hope there was no damage. What those scrotes need is a gang of boaters throwing stones at their family car next time they're all going down to MacDonald's. Then they might start to understand.

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, luggsy said:

Just after bridge 98 Radford heading towards penkridge 7 or 8 teenagers throwing stones at boats reported to police 

Return fire using a catapult loaded with gobstoppers. 

If challenged you are simple throwing them sweets. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, luggsy said:

Just after bridge 98 Radford heading towards penkridge 7 or 8 teenagers throwing stones at boats reported to police 

Going thru Stoke is the only place on the system we have had stones (up to half-bricks) thrown at us.

I'd never recommend stopping there but other folks experiences are different.

Can only report as you find.

Trouble with retaliating is that you move slower than them and there's always another bridge where they can drop something heavier on you. Best to shrug, forget it. Alternatively, get a camera out and ostentatiously take their photos,while very obviously phoning the cops on your mobile. 

4 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Trouble with retaliating is that you move slower than them and there's always another bridge where they can drop something heavier on you. Best to shrug, forget it. Alternatively, get a camera out and ostentatiously take their photos,while very obviously phoning the cops on your mobile. 

Getting off at the next bridge can work wonders too...

• Love 1

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Going thru Stoke is the only place on the system we have had stones (up to half-bricks) thrown at us.

I'd never recommend stopping there but other folks experiences are different.

Can only report as you find.

That last sentence is correct and good advice, The trouble is that many folk very quickly extrapolate from stating that single experience into a generalisation about places that then stick for ever.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

And to add some balance to this, we boated the same section numerous times and had NO problems.

Why is "balance" required? The OP made a report of a specific incident, at a specific place and at a specific time.

8 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

That last sentence is correct and good advice, The trouble is that many folk very quickly extrapolate from stating that single experience into a generalisation about places that then stick for ever.

Very true.  We wouldn't have gone through Manchester and the Rochdale 9 if we had listened to all the "advice".  One of the most memorable days of our boating so far for all the right reasons.

1 hour ago, GRLMK38 said:

Very true.  We wouldn't have gone through Manchester and the Rochdale 9 if we had listened to all the "advice".  One of the most memorable days of our boating so far for all the right reasons.

And of mine, not likely to forget "the 9" any time soon! Felt quite relieved to arrive in Castlefield even though it had started to get scruffier (three years ago).

15 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Worse than that, we find that people who have never been to a place report third hand experiences as a reason to avoid a whole canal.

We have been around Wigan for a month, but the kids on their school holidays have been a minor irritation, not a reason to avoid the Leeds & Liverpool canal!

On 23/04/2019 at 22:38, Mike the Boilerman said:

Getting off at the next bridge can work wonders too...

I pull up in front of the bridge if it’s looking dodgy and my other half gets off to walk the 3 greyhounds. 

She can be quite aggressive and doesn’t tolerate youths with attitude. The dogs are toothy but docile. 

Just to add another report of it being fine around there (normally) I moored up for a couple of days right by bridge 98 just over a week ago and had no problems - it certainly doesn't seem like a location where you'd routinely get trouble - I suspect this shows that incidents like this can happen almost anywhere (and doubtless they'd gone shortly afterwards).

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, aracer said:

Just to add another report of it being fine around there (normally) I moored up for a couple of days right by bridge 98 just over a week ago and had no problems - it certainly doesn't seem like a location where you'd routinely get trouble - I suspect this shows that incidents like this can happen almost anywhere (and doubtless they'd gone shortly afterwards).

I'd  agree, I have been cruising this canal for the last 30 years and have only ever experienced minor issues once, in Kidderminster (and that was 25 years ago!).

9 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

How addled are their tiny brains, its ok to hurle rocks at you, but not okay to take an image of them. Where do they get that from?

Human Rights.  It's their right to try to brain you, but you must ask before you take a photo, particularly if they are under 18.

Stop the world, I want to get off.