Cheshire Ring / overnight stay in Manchester area

SteinS

Featured Posts

We are two Norwegian couples in 60s and this will be our second roundtrip. We will do Cheshire Ring in 10 days,  starting from Anderton. We have planned cruising clockwise.  We are doing most boring? parts, like Manchester, first. And belive more easy to plan our last days since we have to deliver boet latest 9.30 last day. Any views to this?

We see that we might to have two overnights moorings within Manchester. First probably around OldTrafford/Castle quay.  Is this ok place or suggest better place? This will be a saturday evening. We thought going more info centre will reduce places for overnight mooring. Next overnight mooring will probably be around Droylsden.

Looking forward to comments. And hopefully some good pubs too, serving real ales and very good food. 

Anderton to Castlefield in Manchester will take you just over 10 hours depending on whether you are lucky with the tunnel times.

You may find that your hire will only start in the afternoon and that you will have to stop well before Manchester on the first night.

Have a look at the canalplan website for rough timings.

First night stop out at Moore at the Red Lion and then travel into Castlefield the next day. I would try and get up the Nine wide locks and the Ashton flight in one day and moor out at Ashton just round the junction on the Peak Forest. It is only an extra hour fro Droylsden and a far nicer spot to stop. Remember to take time to go up the upper peak to Bugsworth it's worth the few hours boating and a good place to stop. You can easily get to Bollington the next day an Congleton the day after from there. I would also recommend a stop at Little Morton Hall down anear the bottom of the Macclesfield, I'm sure somebody will be on in a minute to tell me the bridge number, its a very well preserved Tudor hall.

Last night of the trip either stop at the Salt Barge at Lion Salt Works or go past the Marina and stop at the boat lift, you can turn round here and it would give you time to explore this unique structure and there is always the Stanley Arms for a meal and a beer.

• 1 month later...
On 23/04/2019 at 20:23, Señor Chris said:

Sale will be better than Old Trafford area - plenty of bars/restaurants right by the canal. Will be noisy till quite late on a Saturday though.

They could moor on the rings at the Watchouse Cruising Club In Stretford M32 8WE.

Fellow boaters and unbelievably cheap drinks. £2 a pint of JWLees bitter.

http://www.whccstretford.com/

On 24/04/2019 at 09:53, captain birdseye said:

First night stop out at Moore at the Red Lion and then travel into Castlefield the next day. I would try and get up the Nine wide locks and the Ashton flight in one day and moor out at Ashton just round the junction on the Peak Forest. It is only an extra hour fro Droylsden and a far nicer spot to stop. Remember to take time to go up the upper peak to Bugsworth it's worth the few hours boating and a good place to stop. You can easily get to Bollington the next day an Congleton the day after from there. I would also recommend a stop at Little Morton Hall down anear the bottom of the Macclesfield, I'm sure somebody will be on in a minute to tell me the bridge number, its a very well preserved Tudor hall.

Last night of the trip either stop at the Salt Barge at Lion Salt Works or go past the Marina and stop at the boat lift, you can turn round here and it would give you time to explore this unique structure and there is always the Stanley Arms for a meal and a beer.

If you do the Rochdale Nine and the Ashton flight in a day from Castlefield (not difficult, we've done it a couple of times) and moor just after the junction with the Peak Forest (in the wooded section just before the swing bridge) the Chapel House (a couple of hundred yards up Astley Street) has good cheap beer and is friendly. First time we called there we got change out of a fiver for five pints of Holt's...

Edited by IanD