Toilet....for God sake help !!

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

I stopped using blue in my dump through pumpout a few months after I got the boat. For a while I used nothing, then started with a capful or 2 of bio detergent from one of the budget supermarkets in both the pumpout and the port potti.

Dump through is used only for number 2's, porta potti for number 1's. No noticeable smells from either, except perhaps for a brief moment through the vent which will only be noticed by someone unfortunate enough to be passing by at the time or steering my boat. 

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

When I bought my boat, which has a macerator pump out toilet, I was advised to use nothing at all.  This strategy has worked well, no smells noticed by me or anyone else.

We had the same advice when we ripped out the "bucket & chuckit" and put in a proper macerator bog. I can confirm that using no additives works just fine. Caution is advisable when cleaning the pan as you don't want any chemicals to sneak into the tank while you're doing it.  

This "adding no chemicals" is the basis of septic tanks. They do not smell when working properly, adding bleach and blue kills the bacteria which breakdown the waste without producing a stink.

Cess pits on the other hand reek as they just store waste without the bio action due to harmful chemicals being included.

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

We had the same advice when we ripped out the "bucket & chuckit" and put in a proper macerator bog. I can confirm that using no additives works just fine. Caution is advisable when cleaning the pan as you don't want any chemicals to sneak into the tank while you're doing it.  

We have a stupid, posh macerater bog on this boat. I have left it as I am fed up of removing the stupid nonsensical devices to fit a proper cassette, boat toilet ( Its a boat not a house so doesnt need to pretend to be a house bog ) They work very well ( until it breaks £££££££ ) There is zero smell ever in the boat and we use no additives whatsoever. The stink outside sometimes when being pumped out is orrendous ? We rarely use the daft thing and use a proper boat bog ( porta potti ) as the bathroom is a sensible size with room for both bogs. Macerater is used by visitors of the house variety and us when I cannot be bothered occasionaly emptying the porta bog.