Toilet....for God sake help !!

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

We recently purchased a boat with a large dump through tank..loo... It already had about 50 percent full...thank you sellers !. We have filled it to the top with fresh water and pumped it out. We have dosed it with Odourloss. I have added some bread...sugar...and brewers yeast.. It smells awful....gassy ...rotten eggs.. What can I do ?

4 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

We recently purchased a boat with a large dump through tank..loo... It already had about 50 percent full...thank you sellers !. We have filled it to the top with fresh water and pumped it out. We have dosed it with Odourloss. I have added some bread...sugar...and brewers yeast.. It smells awful....gassy ...rotten eggs.. What can I do ?

Pump it out again and bang 5 litres of bog blue into it.

1 minute ago, Bobbybass said:

This will not make you feel better...

A friend got so fed up he cut the top off his tank and spent a weekend scooping it out, I walked In and said "it doesn't smell too" and then the odour hit.

Maybe more help..

Another friend used to use a copper pipe bent to 90° at the end and use this to jet out the accumulated mess that wouldn't pump out

24 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

And they sold it why?

Next time you pump it out, get the boat rocking from side to side the whole time it is pumping out, then add more fresh water (not to the top!!) keep rocking it, pump it out ............ you see where this is going - eventually you should get most of the crud out - and as mrsmelly says, bung in blue, rock it and it should help to break down any solids left.

Odorlos used to be good - but then like many things it got dumbed down...

Chanced across some industrial strength washing machine liquid - magic, but very expensive.

Some folks swear by Oxy-Gen granules sold by (some) Tescos - that works well.

All good suggestions for you best try them all. Plenty of flushing through will help at same time rocking, we have not used blue for past four years, fed up with the smell of that took ages to get rid of. We now only use bio washing fluid from wilco works a treat for us and no smells of anything. Hope that helps

Edited by CLAN1
Spelin

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do what we did - take it out and put a proper toilet system in (cassette)

Yes indeed. I of course thought just that but refrained, I am going all gooey in my old age ? Indeed cassette bogs make vastly more sense but until the stinking tank is removed a short term solution is required innit!!

We, for years used blue. Then started  odourloss, it takes a few pumpout to get rid of the blue. Then we started using BIO washing liquid. No problems since. Honestly. In fact it sometimes doesn't smell at all even during the pumpout process. Not sure if a guy I was talking to was having me on or not but he said two or three litres of coka cola does the trick. It does have acid in it, so could be true. But the washing liquid seems to work for us.

Crossed posts with Victor.

Dump through loos are bad, put a proper loo on the tank like a Baby Blakes Sea Toilet. Then you need no chemicals at all, ever.

Expensive but the dogs tackle of loos.

I have never seen a dump through where the ball seals the lav properly.

Is the vent pipe clear?

Biological automatic soap powder will strip out everything from the tank, a full packet and fill with water. Leave it a few days and pump out.

Asda smart-price bio washing liquid keeps all our poo in order, it does froth a bit when emptying :)

we use a capfull for 20litres. Must be the cheap smart-price version not all others work.

bung 3-4 bottles in, use tank as normal for a week and it should be done.

• Greenie 1

When I bought my boat, which has a macerator pump out toilet, I was advised to use nothing at all.  This strategy has worked well, no smells noticed by me or anyone else.

However when we had shareboats with dump through pump out toilets, there was always a smell a few days following a pump out, whatever we used. This is because the tank contents are exposed every time you flush the toilet. The only thing that kept the smell manageable with this type of toilet was weekly pump outs and lots of blue.

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, cuthound said:

The only thing that kept the smell manageable with this type of toilet was weekly pump outs and lots of blue

Doesn't spending £20 per week on emptying the toilet bring a new meaning to 'spend a penny'.

Sounds an expensive alternative when the cost of emptying cassettes is included in your licence fee - so thanks to all you 'tankers' you are contributing towards my sewage removal costs.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Doesn't spending £20 per week on emptying the toilet bring a new meaning to 'spend a penny'.

Sounds an expensive alternative when the cost of emptying cassettes is included in your licence fee - so thanks to all you 'tankers' you are contributing towards my sewage removal costs.

On a shareboat you are only on it for a week or two at a time at a time and have to empty the holding tank before handing over to the next shareholder, so no in that context it doesn't significantly increase your costs.

However if you were living on-board a boat with a dump through toilet then you either except the smell, the cost of pumpouts or change the toilet type.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

I have horrible olfactory memories of the regurgitating lavatories on a boat we used to borrow. Disgusting things, there were 2, which flushed with the contents of the tank below.

By the time they were full, no amount of blue would kill the stink or make the "water" less brown.

I think it was an early Black Death. God knows what hirers thought, must have put folk off boating for life.