Webasto routed through engine and calorifier

Featured Posts

If a boat has a calorifier has only one coil which is linked to the engine would there be anything wrong with including the Webasto into that loop? Not ideal I agree as the Webasto would end up heating the engine if it was cold but it would save having to change the calorifier to one that has two coils.

Unless the engine runs unpressurised you will have to pressurise the Webasto system unless you run it via a heat exchanger but then that implies another pump when you are not running the engine. It the engine is unpressurised then it is fairly simple apart from possibly having to move the Webasto header tank down to "top of engine" level.

As per Tony's rsponse, except to add that you should consider installing isolation valves as well so that the Webasto does not heat the engine & runs efficiently. I would guess that the engine heating the Webasto circuit would not be a problem, but then Tony can answer that one for you better than I can!

I would also check whether your engine coolant concentration is compatible with your Webasto seeing as it will be shared by both "circuits", it probably will be, but still worth checking.

1 hour ago, BargeeSpud said:

As per Tony's rsponse, except to add that you should consider installing isolation valves as well so that the Webasto does not heat the engine & runs efficiently. I would guess that the engine heating the Webasto circuit would not be a problem, but then Tony can answer that one for you better than I can!

I would also check whether your engine coolant concentration is compatible with your Webasto seeing as it will be shared by both "circuits", it probably will be, but still worth checking.

In the UK no problem because the Webasto will be off in high summer with high ambient temperatures. remember Webasto make engine coolant heaters for Arctic conditions so may make cold starting a whole lot easier.