Boating honeymoon

Heffalump

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Congratulations. My wife & I had our honeymoon on a hire-boat in 1976; we're still married and still boating, I hope that's a good omen for you.

Snap!

Got married then (a few months later) hired on the Norfolk Broads at the end of the "long hot summer of '76" for a delayed honeymoon.

Still married, still boating, currently on our boat for 3 weeks and heading south from Napton Junction to The Pig Place.

I have seen Keeping Up sometime over the last couple of years but not sure when. We did Napton to Marsworth Junction this time last year so perhaps it was then. Or somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Heffalump said:

Hi everyone, new and old :)

Just wanted to pop in and say hello, Emma and I got married this weekend and were having a boating mini-moon.  We've hired hector and we are going from falls Bridge to crick and back. We are currently moored South of Hillmorton locks for the night and will be going through Braunston tomorrow. 

So if any of you see a couple on a small boat with a tug deck and a just married sign on the rear fender please stop us and say hello! 

Happy Easter everyone x

I've been past Hector quite a few times on the way up from Braunston but unlikely this time as we're going in the other direction for this trip.

11 hours ago, Heffalump said:

Just wanted to pop in and say hello, Emma and I got married this weekend and were having a boating mini-moon.  We've hired hector and we are going from falls Bridge to crick and back. We are currently moored South of Hillmorton locks for the night and will be going through Braunston tomorrow. 

So if any of you see a couple on a small boat with a tug deck and a just married sign on the rear fender please stop us and say hello! 

Happy Easter everyone x

How ya doin you eeeeeeeeejut. So she finaly fell for the charm did she ? come and see us for a beer :cheers:

24 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Congratulations.

Is Hector a tug with a long raised fore cabin?

If so you came past our house over the weekend.

They're going in the other direction from the hire base near Rugby.

It may have been whoever hired it last time. Long way to go if it was a weekender though (at least by my 3 hours a day standards).

24 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Ooh, same wedding anniversary as us then - twas our Ruby (which does rather sound like something old people have)!

Congratulations! :)

Blimey you and I got married same time innitt ? It would have been my ruby this year but I traded her in for another model after 11 years.

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Blimey you and I got married same time innitt ? It would have been my ruby this year but I traded her in for another model after 11 years.

Yeah, I'm amazed ours worked out really since I was only 10 at the time!  ;) 

(I was in the Navy, but I was still a cabin boy)

• Haha 1

Our honeymoon in 1987 was to take Motor boat Thaxted from our wedding in Aylesbury basin to Ellesmere port, pick up josher butty Gosport and return to the Warwickshire Fly.via the curley wurley and a iwa campaign rally.

Then back to marsworth to pick up our own butty Atalanta and return to our mooring in Ricky.

It was just over 2 weeks total . We did a lot of boating and not a lot else....

in aylesbury our ‘friends’ filled the exhaust manifold with confetti and wound down the compression levers, so starting up ( hand start was delayed , i fixed the engine while they gathered the crowd ( we were trying to sneak off) . Once i got compression the engine fired blowing flaming smuts all over me, the cabin top and everyone in the vicinity. 

There were various other misdeeds performed the worst being the fish on the counter we discovered ‘later’.

we are somehow still married but there are bits of the grand union that bring smiles to our faces when we pass through.

Oh and congratulations if you can honeymoon in a back  cabin...

• Greenie 1

hey Heff, 

congratulations (again)

We leapfrogged a couple of times over the last couple of days but I only spotted the Just Married when you came past yesterday

I was the woman who hollered at you from the boat between the Newbold tunnel and the pub

I'll look out for you on your way back - I may have reached Braunston by then

On 22/04/2019 at 21:14, Heffalump said:

Happy Easter everyone x

Congratulations, I saw your post on Facebook. Hector does look nice

Edited by thebfg

On 22/04/2019 at 22:28, Keeping Up said:

Congratulations. My wife & I had our honeymoon on a hire-boat in 1976; we're still married and still boating, I hope that's a good omen for you.

My contribution to the 'my date is earlier than yours':

Our first boating experience was our honeymoon in 1967.

Whilst the canal system was rather different back then, I can think of few aspects in which it was definitely better, certainly then and for perhaps the next three decades, many towpaths were all but impassable until councils discovered their use for walking recreation. Our hire boat had a pump through toilet and in general only just survived a two week hire - we had to make several call outs, remember scouring OS maps for the next nearest phone box? There were few lock keepers I can recall, the ones that stick in my mind were a year or so later when we ventured down the Trent and along the manned locks to Leeds and over the L&L - all in a 20 ft ex BW hire boat with a 5hp Outboard that occasionally had a hissy fit.

We are still at it (!!) albeit with a break in ownership as we lived in various parts of the country without canals. but the occasional hire trip, and now on a 'proper' steel narrowboat of our own for the past decade. Must be something mis-wired ion out make up . . . 

15 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

hey Heff, 

congratulations (again)

We leapfrogged a couple of times over the last couple of days but I only spotted the Just Married when you came past yesterday

I was the woman who hollered at you from the boat between the Newbold tunnel and the pub

I'll look out for you on your way back - I may have reached Braunston by then

We will keep an eye out! Planning to stop around Braunston tonight.