Bottom lock chandlers, Braunston.

johnmck

Featured Posts

Used to go down to the breakers in west drayton for bits. The haynes manual used to say ‘re assembly is the reverse of the above ( dismantling) process. So you would go to the yard unbolt what you wanted and then go and fit it to your own car. At least you were learning  on someone elses scrap car first. 

Had to go back a few times when stuff went wrong....

I used to go to a breakers yard in Sunbury. You had to climb up teetering piles of scrapped cars and take the bits you wanted off yourself. It was standard practice to put a couple of smaller parts into your toolbox an pay for the larger bits.

Today all the bits are taken off, cleaned and packaged for you.

9 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

I've just watched an old film on "Talking Pictures" and someone bought 12 gallons of petrol for 19 shillings !!

Remarkable ain't it? My first car in 1972, a 1968 Triumph Herald 13/60 saloon. Gunmetal Blue.  Cost me £595. Loved it. We went on many a trip between London and Plymouth without issue. I even demolished a waste compound wall with it at HMS Warrior in Northwood. Known as the 'chicane no more' afterwards. I reported it and was told that it was going to be taken away, don't worry about it. I'd been down the NAAFI club for beverage! 

Pull onto garage forecourt and say to the chap, three gallons or a quids worth, whatever comes up first. A thing of the past. 

I've just watched an old film on "Talking Pictures" and someone bought 12 gallons of petrol for 19 shillings !!

Remarkable ain't it? My first car in 1972, a 1968 Triumph Herald 13/60 saloon. Gunmetal Blue.  Cost me £595. Loved it. We went on many a trip between London and Plymouth without issue. I even demolished a waste compound wall with it at HMS Warrior in Northwood. Known as the 'chicane no more' afterwards. I reported it and was told that it was going to be taken away, don't worry about it. I'd been down the NAAFI club for beverage! 

Pull onto garage forecourt and say to the chap, three gallons or a quids worth, whatever comes up first. A thing of the past. 

Think I got a stutter in there. Posted it three times. Oops!

• Greenie 1

As of today Braunston Marina have taken on the sale of paints that were previously sold by Wharfhouse. The only exception is Craftmaster who will be suppling Midland Chandlers from 1st July. Wharfhouse still have some Craftmaster paint available

On 15/06/2019 at 09:38, Nightwatch said:

Think I got a stutter in there. Posted it three times. Oops!

HMS Warrior, less than 2 miles from home!!

As for the 3 gallons or a quid it was 4 gallons and 4 shots with coppers change from a quid (1965-66)

On 15/06/2019 at 00:20, roland elsdon said:

Used to go down to the breakers in west drayton for bits. The haynes manual used to say ‘re assembly is the reverse of the above ( dismantling) process. So you would go to the yard unbolt what you wanted and then go and fit it to your own car. At least you were learning  on someone elses scrap car first. 

Had to go back a few times when stuff went wrong....

Was that the one down a track and over some kind of a stream/river? Best breakers in West London

10 hours ago, Slim said:

HMS Warrior, less than 2 miles from home!!

As for the 3 gallons or a quid it was 4 gallons and 4 shots with coppers change from a quid (1965-66)

I was lucky enough to serve nearly three years at Warrior. Not to be confused with HMS Warrior at Portsmouth. Where did you live Slim. Carpenter Park area?

On 20/06/2019 at 08:46, Nightwatch said:

I was lucky enough to serve nearly three years at Warrior. Not to be confused with HMS Warrior at Portsmouth. Where did you live Slim. Carpenter Park area?

Oxhey Hall, still there

On 14/06/2019 at 18:11, Mike the Boilerman said:

As a kid,i seem to remember Halfords being a chain of bicycle shops, which they still are in moderate depth. The car stuff i think is relatively recent. I.e. within the last 50 years ?

My first bike came from (and was branded) Curry's which started as a bike shop but of course, have long since stopped them.

How I loved that bike.  It got stolen and was never recovered although I think the old man sold it for beer money ?

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 22:09, Slim said:

At our local 'Jet' station it was 5 gallons of 5* for £1 (early-mid 60's)

They were much cheaper than anywhere else and there was always a suspicion of them 'watering it down'.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

At our local 'Jet' station it was 5 gallons of 5* for £1 (early-mid 60's)

They were much cheaper than anywhere else and there was always a suspicion of them 'watering it down'.

I seem to recall 2/6 a 5* gallon when I first stated paying for it (circa 1963) but then we could never afford a luxury such as 5*, even 4* was a  bit up market. What was wrong with 2*? Or just occasionally 3*.

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I seem to recall 2/6 a 5* gallon when I first stated paying for it (circa 1963) but then we could never afford a luxury such as 5*, even 4* was a  bit up market. What was wrong with 2*? Or just occasionally 3*.

If I recall both the Zephyr 6 & the Zodiac specified 5*