Bottom lock chandlers, Braunston.

johnmck

Featured Posts

I don’t think it’s been helped that the wholesalers like aquafax & ASAP supplies are now owned by the same parent company as Midland Chandlers...it’s meant the prices for independent chandlers aren’t as competitive as they once were so it’s harder to make a profit...and that’s without the internet suppliers....sad really as love looking round a proper chandlers....and midland don’t do the proper boaty bits such as  pipe fittings and the like that wharf house did....the sort of stuff you need to fix a boat rather than the bits that just make it look pretty! 

4 hours ago, frangar said:

midland don’t do the proper boaty bits such as  pipe fittings and the like that wharf house did....the sort of stuff you need to fix a boat rather than the bits that just make it look pretty! 

A bit like Halfords and cars then. 

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

A bit like Halfords and cars then. 

As a kid,i seem to remember Halfords being a chain of bicycle shops, which they still are in moderate depth. The car stuff i think is relatively recent. I.e. within the last 50 years ?

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

As a kid,i seem to remember Halfords being a chain of bicycle shops, which they still are in moderate depth. The car stuff i think is relatively recent. I.e. within the last 50 years ?

As a kid I was sent to Halfords on a Sunday morning to buy an exchange set of brake shoes for dad’s car. 

9 minutes ago, bizzard said:

We used to re-line all brake shoes ourselves. Mintex were the best for that in those days, the linings came with new rivets.

Dad was a bit of a bodger... not sure self-riveted shoes would have stayed attached ;)

32 minutes ago, WotEver said:

As a kid I was sent to Halfords on a Sunday morning to buy an exchange set of brake shoes for dad’s car. 

I sometimes shiver at the memory of when I was a teenager, having not long passed the test, being asked by my parents to change the brake pads on their car. This I did, with no training and no manual to follow, just by remembering how it was when I took the old one off and by dead reckoning! I seemed to have no thought for the consequences of getting it wrong! Luckily, I didn't . . .

13 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I sometimes shiver at the memory of when I was a teenager, having not long passed the test, being asked by my parents to change the brake pads on their car. This I did, with no training and no manual to follow, just by remembering how it was when I took the old one off and by dead reckoning! I seemed to have no thought for the consequences of getting it wrong! Luckily, I didn't . . .

Just do them one pad at a time.  There used to be a Telly program about car DIY car repairs. The bloke doing it was some goon called Tony Bastable, be called him Tony Bustemall. On one episode he was changing brake pads on the front of a Ford Zephyr Mk 4. As he pushed a piston back in on one side we could see brake fluid dripping on the floor on the oppsite side. He'd obviousely removed all the pads first and pistons were popping out.

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

Just do them one pad at a time.  There used to be a Telly program about car DIY car repairs. The bloke doing it was some goon called Tony Bastable, be called him Tony Bustemall. On one episode he was changing brake pads on the front of a Ford Zephyr Mk 4. As he pushed a piston back in on one side we could see brake fluid dripping on the floor on the oppsite side. He'd obviousely removed all the pads first and pistons were popping out.

Heaven knows what he did at the back end with those damn calipers.

Cuban motorists used to make a cocktail of shampoo and other stuff for brake fluid as they could not get it imported. Faninating country, brilliant car rebuilders.

1 minute ago, hider said:

Heaven knows what he did at the back end with those damn calipers.

Cuban motorists used to make a cocktail of shampoo and other stuff for brake fluid as they could not get it imported. Faninating country, brilliant car rebuilders.

Yes the rears were murder. Self adjusting handbrake gear working on the same pads as the footbrake.

7 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Then he wondered why he had to bleed them...

Just now, bizzard said:

Yes the rears were murder. Self adjusting handbrake gear working on the same pads as the footbrake.

Same as the Cortina. 

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Yes the rears were murder. Self adjusting handbrake gear working For a very short time on the same pads as the footbrake.

Quick correction there for you Blizz.

I think I still have one of the piston winders somewhere. We used to buy Zodiacs and turn them into white wedding cars, many hours fixing brakes and rebuilding V6s with those awful fibre timing gears.  Lot of white paint!

Edited by hider
added more

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Same as the Cortina. 

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Same as the Cortina. 

They had drum rear brakes and the vast majority of cars  in those days the handbrake worked on the same shoes as the footbrake whether manual or self adjusting.

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

They had drum rear brakes and the vast majority of cars  in those days the handbrake worked on the same shoes as the footbrake whether manual or self adjusting.

Yeah, it was the self-adjusting bit I was referring to. 

4 minutes ago, hider said:

Quick correction there for you Blizz.

I think I still have one of the piston winders somewhere. We used to buy Zodiacs and turn them into white wedding cars, many hours fixing brakes and rebuilding V6s with those awful fibre timing gears.  Lot of white paint!

I have one somewhere too. But the caliper mechanism on those old Zephyr's were always corroded and usually seized up.

9 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

I can remember in the 60's when Halfords used to sell BMC A series 'Gold Seal' factory reconditioned engines. I think they were about £40.

Yeah, I remember that :)

I think it was only a short engine for £40 though. 

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

We used to re-line all brake shoes ourselves. Mintex were the best for that in those days, the linings came with new rivets.

I remember relining lorry brake shoes in the 60's . An upturned inlet or exhaust valve in the vice to rest the rivet against and a smallish hammer to flare the rivet over. I also remember blowing the brake dust out without wearing a face mask nobody seemed to bother about asbestos dust in those days. 

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

Yeah, I remember that :)

I think it was only a short engine for £40 though. 

The short engine was a 'Silver Seal' if I  remember correctly and the 'Gold Seal' was a complete engine.

59 minutes ago, bizzard said:

We used to fit Ford recon engines into all the old pre war and post war 803 and 1172cc and 100E cars and EO4A, 300E, E83W vans for £50 all in.

Back in the day when £20 a week was a bloody good wage for a skilled working man?

34 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Back in the day when £20 a week was a bloody good wage for a skilled working man?

I've just watched an old film on "Talking Pictures" and someone bought 12 gallons of petrol for 19 shillings !!