Bottom lock chandlers, Braunston.

johnmck

Featured Posts

Quote from a recent Facebook page, local to the chandlers. 

"Hi all we have just been to the Chandlers at Braunston Bottom lock they have 25% off everything because they are RELOCATING to Braunston Marina but the assured us they are NOT closing down ."

Something is afoot. The dynamics have changed. Mayhap I was wrong, but ...

The operator of our dry dock was told last week by the owners that they were retiring and the business was closing. 

8 hours ago, johnmck said:

"Hi all we have just been to the Chandlers at Braunston Bottom lock they have 25% off everything because they are RELOCATING to Braunston Marina but the assured us they are NOT closing down ."

The operator of our dry dock was told last week by the owners that they were retiring and the business was closing.

6 minutes ago, bastion said:

I seem to recall further back in this thread that the owner came on here to post a message saying they were not retiring but that the lady who runs the shop was. It was not made clear whether or not the shop was closing.

Given that this person had only one post to their name maybe it was a hoax. Bit of a pointless effort if so, which makes me think it wasn't.

Update - post #44, hasn't posted again since.

Edited by Lily Rose

8 hours ago, johnmck said:

That's good news. It's a marvellous shop. But isn't there already a chandlery at the marina?

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

That's good news. It's a marvellous shop. But isn't there already a chandlery at the marina?

Yes, a small one in the marina office. 

Perhaps Tim is taking over the business from the current owners and expanding the marina chandlers. Or giving up the current one in order to have Wharf House pay him to be on his site.

I'm still perplexed as to why "Wharf House Narrowboats" made one post on the subject which failed to clarify things and then vanished with no further comment. 

Edited by Lily Rose
Grammar

5 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I'm still perplexed as to why "Wharf House Narrowboats" made one post on the subject which failed to clarify things and then vanished with no further comment. 

As someone who run a business, I can confirm that the future is rarely cut and dried and easily expressed in an internet forum post!

My reading of the situation from what I've heard here and on the towpath telegraph, is that the lady who runs the shop counter it is retiring and at that same time, the lease on the site is due for renewal shortly on unfavourable terms so the future of the business is uncertain. Yes it is possible that another site might be found, including perhaps one at Braunston Marina, but negotiations (assuming there are any in progress) for a new site have not concluded. So there is probably nothing useful that the user "Wharf House Narrowboats" can say.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

As someone who run a business, I can confirm that the future is rarely cut and dried and easily expressed in an internet forum post!

My reading of the situation from what I've heard here and on the towpath telegraph, is that the lady who runs the shop counter it is retiring and at that same time, the lease on the site is due for renewal shortly on unfavourable terms so the future of the business is uncertain. Yes it is possible that another site might be found, including perhaps one at Braunston Marina, but negotiations (assuming there are any in progress) for a new site have not concluded. So there is probably nothing useful that the user "Wharf House Narrowboats" can say.

Fairy Nuff.

33 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I agree with MtB.  There could be legitimate reasons why the owners do not want to discuss their business in a public forum.  I'm sure things will be clarified when they are ready to do so.  Until then it's best to assume most of the above is speculation because the people that would know (and active on this forum) are clearly staying away from this thread.  I am not suspicious of the one and only post.

17 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

I agree with MtB.  There could be legitimate reasons why the owners do not want to discuss their business in a public forum. 

I'd say it is more likely there is nothing TO discuss or announce. In fact both rumours are probably half-true.

For reasons we don't need to know - but possibly the lease is running out - the business will not be continuing in its current premises hence the selling off of stock. At the same time, a search for new premises available on favourable enough terms to make it worth continuing may well be under way. Braunston Marina would seem a first class location but Posh Tim knows this and his rent is likely to be on the high side, I'd imagine, so I wouldn't be surprised if the search for new premises continues. If they find somewhere suitable the business will continue, if they don't, it will close. 

20 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd say it is more likely there is nothing TO discuss or announce.

Which has never stopped the Internet. 

Chinese whispers was always a good game. 

Personaly I prefer facts , but then again so did Gradgrind and he was a curmudgeonly OG as well. 

Good Morning

Seeing as there is so much speculation about what is happening at our chandlery I will give everyone the answer.

Wharf House Narrowboats Ltd was set up by Sue and myself in 2001 and was originally only involved in boat fitting.  A year later after Aquafax vacated the premises at bottom lock we decided to start the Chandlery.

We will be closing the shop by the end of June for various reasons and would like to take this opportunity to thank our customers for their support over the last 17 years. Until then we are having a sale with 25% discount on all existing stock, we will also continue to service customer orders until that date but they will have to be at usual retail prices.

We are relocating the workshop to Braunston Marina but only for the boat building/fitting side of the business.

I hope that this sets the record straight.

Best wishes

Phill Abbott

• Greenie 2
  • Sad 5

1 minute ago, Wharf House Narrowboats said:

Good Morning

Seeing as there is so much speculation about what is happening at our chandlery I will give everyone the answer.

Wharf House Narrowboats Ltd was set up by Sue and myself in 2001 and was originally only involved in boat fitting.  A year later after Aquafax vacated the premises at bottom lock we decided to start the Chandlery.

We will be closing the shop by the end of June for various reasons and would like to take this opportunity to thank our customers for their support over the last 17 years. Until then we are having a sale with 25% discount on all existing stock, we will also continue to service customer orders until that date but they will have to be at usual retail prices.

We are relocating the workshop to Braunston Marina but only for the boat building/fitting side of the business.

I hope that this sets the record straight.

Best wishes

Phill Abbott

Good luck with the fitting Phill, it will be a shame to lose a good chandlery. Don't forget to take the gondola with you 

So the shop and the boat building/fitting at the bottom lock are closing/relocating respectively. Are there other businesses that will continue to trade from the bottom lock site? Or will it be another canalside business location lost?

On 06/05/2019 at 12:24, Wharf House Narrowboats said:

It is not really my place to answer, however the lease from CRT on all the buildings at bottom lock is held by Braunston Boats, they will still be operating as will Ivy Bridge Marine. I have no information on the future use of the buildings we use.

McDonalds Cruise Thru ?

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I dont think their stock is that old ...shame they are gone though. 

I had a look around in there the other day and most of the stuff that is actually desirable was not that cheap still. They have a fair amount of Craftmaster paint but none of it in any of the colours I wanted - that sort of thing happens in sales....

11 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

I dont think their stock is that old ...shame they are gone though. 

1 minute ago, Parahandy said:

Its a real shame Phil Abbott was always civil and helpful and as many have said these old style chandlers especially when situated in old canalside buildings have a particular feel and smell that once gone cant be recaptured , Uxbridge is another . I shall get tearful in a minute if Im not careful 

Edited by Parahandy