Bottom lock chandlers, Braunston.

johnmck

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Something wrong with your calendar? The sale ended on 21st  according to your post 11. That was Sunday!

It ended bank holiday Monday...thanks for pointing the mistake out....hope that allowed you to sleep better....?

7 minutes ago, frangar said:

It ended bank holiday Monday...thanks for pointing the mistake out....hope that allowed you to sleep better....?

Dammit I'd have gone along and got some bargains had you got your dates right. As it was, I thought I'd missed it. 

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Dammit I'd have gone along and got some bargains had you got your dates right. As it was, I thought I'd missed it. 

As I didn’t post till yesterday evening I’m guessing you’ve got a time machine....so it won’t be a problem to set it again will it....

Edited by frangar
  • Haha 1

It's a shame to see them closing, they were always so helpful. Whenever I wanted something unusual, unlike Midland "if it isn't on our website then we don't sell it" Chandlers, their attitude was "we'll search around our suppliers and see if we can find one".

17 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

It's a shame to see them closing, they were always so helpful. Whenever I wanted something unusual, unlike Midland "if it isn't on our website then we don't sell it" Chandlers, their attitude was "we'll search around our suppliers and see if we can find one".

Indeed!  They are much better for all the practical bits like fixings & bronze pipe fittings...a proper practical chandlers unlike like MC which seem to only want to do the bling these days. It will be sorely missed if it closes. I hope someone will take it over...although if it’s Areliegh Leisure it will soon go the way of Aquafax & ASAP who don’t seem to be as good as they were when they were independent. 

14 hours ago, Lady C said:

We also visited today and were given the impression that the chandlery will not be closing down until some time after the Crick show weekend.  Plenty of Phil Speight in stock.  Normally they are not allowed to discount it so you may not get a bargain.  Agree it's very sad but hope forumites will continue to support the business while they can.

I always found that what they will discount on depended rather on who was serving you. ?

Over time I've received quite a few "historic boat" discounts there, but was then served by who I believed to be an owner, was told they don't offer that facility, (and never have done)!   So I have sometimes been somewhat selective about what I buy on any visit depending upon who was serving!

4 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

I don't think they are closing.

1) A closing down sale does not finish in three days, it continues until the stock of any value has all been sold off.

2) I heard a rumour that they have had a rent review on the premises and elected to vacate rather than pay a higher rent, and are looking for new premises. Just a rumour mind, but fits in with the facts. 

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

The drydock is under cover so you dont get wet if it rains all week

Always seems to be busy, did ask about it one nov\dec and was told it was booked until, I think, June/July. 

2 hours ago, PeterCr said:

I spoke to them today. They said they're closing at the end of June.

Shame but I would like to wish them well and thank them for the good and friendly service they have always provided. 

2 hours ago, PeterCr said:

I spoke to them today. They said they're closing at the end of June.

If they are jacking it in maybe the Midland Chandlers knockers will realise they have been wrong and give it a rest. 

But I doubt it. 

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If they are jacking it in maybe the Midland Chandlers knockers will realise they have been wrong and give it a rest. 

But I doubt it. 

I've never knocked MChandlers but Di and cohorts at Bottom Lock provided the type of service that only independent traders are willing to.

8 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Or Tim across the canal at Union Canal Carriers.

Only if you want to black it yourself. I was booked in to UCC last year but a couple of weeks before I arrived I had a call from them saying Tim had decided he couldn't be bothered with doing blacking any more, he only wanted to do clean things like repainting. Luckily Braunston marina had a spare slot that same week so they blacked the boat for me instead.

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 22:25, johnmck said:

The owner told us she is retiring and the buisness closing. What exactly is I'll informed about that?

If you mean Diane, yes she is retiring. Diane is not the owner although many people think she is.  Sue and myself are not retiring!

Edited by Wharf House Narrowboats
mis-spelling
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Wharf House Narrowboats said:

If you mean Diane, yes she is retiring. Diane is not the owner although many people think she is.  Sue and myself are not retiring!

Thanks for clearing that up.

Just shows how easy it is for for a rumour to grow legs. ?

On 22/04/2019 at 22:23, reg said:

It has not been confirmed that it is closing down. Until it is I will treat it as an Internet rumour. 

To quote myself. 

Presumably that (Diane retiring) still means it's closing though?

Therefore still a shame.  

I wasn't a regular by any means but I have deliberately gone there, rather than MC, a few times as I felt it deserved as much support as possible.

Similarly with Tradline when appropriate.

Edited by Lily Rose

33 minutes ago, Wharf House Narrowboats said:

Does this mean that it is not closing? 

29 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Presumably that (Diane retiring) still means it's closing though?

Therefore still a shame.  

I wasn't a regular by any means but I have deliberately gone there, rather than MC, a few times as I felt it deserved as much support as possible.

Similarly with Tradline when appropriate.

The problem is each time I go in the chandlery or in to Tradline I spend money where as I go in MC for an item which they don't have so I leave without spending.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

On 25/04/2019 at 16:20, Wharf House Narrowboats said:

So can you give us reassurance that we will still have a decent chandler in braunston?? You guys will be missed if you did go!